The Ting Tings
Sounds from Nowheresville

2.0
poor

by Major Tom CONTRIBUTOR (139 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2012 | 29 replies | 3,966 views

Review Summary: The Ting Tings aren’t going to Nowheresville; they’re just going backwards.

For a duo whose only real draw is their release of tunes as pop-worthy as ‘That’s Not My Name’ and ‘Shut Up and Let Me Go’, that fact they’ve acted a right royal pair of twats in the build-up to album number two reveals a great deal of what you’d need to know before you’ve even hit play.

First off, the 4 years they've spent between 2008 debut We Started Nothing and now would perch more pressure on the couples oddly-matched shoulders than is ever going be an aid to critical soft-touches. After fannying about lending their repertoire of 2 decent (yet HUGELY migraine-worthy) hits to iPod ads and building studios in disused jazz clubs in Germany’s capitol, the pop pair decided to climb atop their musical high horse and chuck out the 11 tracks they initially recorded for Nowheresville merely because “the record company liked them”. For any other band this move would surely be met with a level of artistic respect but coming from these two – a pair hardly established for their uncommercial ditties – it reeks off unself-aware pretentiousness.

What their supposed creative and respectable sophomore effort should sound like then is something which it ultimately fails to. The squelchy synth pops of ‘One By One’ or the hip-hop-meets-rock tepidness of ‘Hang It Up’ don’t sound like chart-rejecting, serious artist tracks at all and that’s precisely the problem. Claiming to have branched-out and gone beyond daft pop single turf will be the downfall of the Tings – a duo who already appear to be rolling down the hill to mediocrity faster than any detractor of We Started Nothing could’ve even wished for.

The album is just plain sailing for The Ting Tings. They try mixing genres and injecting doses of dance floor fun via synths, and it sails by on a current of averageness to the point where, after 34 minutes, you won’t have clawed your ears off but only because you know you’ll never have to visit again. In their quest to avoid the charts the pair will be successful – the music sounds like pop-lite, and in trying to be arty or whatever they want to believe they’ve watered down their only appeal and alienated their chances of survival. Katie and Jules; if I were you’d i'd think about buying a property in Nowheresville – you’ll be stuck there for quite some time.

Metronomy Love LettersTemples Sun Structures
Bombay Bicycle Club So Long, See You TomorrowOasis Dig Out Your Soul
Oasis Don't Believe the TruthOasis Heathen Chemistry
2.3
Alex Beebe (2.5)
The Ting Tings make their sound using different ingredients, but it all builds up to have essentiall...

Raul Stanciu STAFF (2.5)
A mess of an album that grabs tight to its title....

We Started Nothing

February 22nd 2012

Album has leaked, to no splendour. Hope you enjoy my review.

clercqie
February 22nd 2012

I actually thought this was pretty good

Digging: Shackleton - Deliverance Series No. 1

AliW1993
February 22nd 2012

I have absolutely no desire to listen to this, yet I still probably will at some point.

February 22nd 2012

I wasn't expecting anything from this yet i still felt disappointed. Never a good sign...

clercqie
February 22nd 2012

Idk, The Tings Tings - for me - are a band to just switch off my thinking/criticising button and have some mindless fun.

WashboardSuds

SHUT UP AND LET ME GO

Digging: Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops

February 22nd 2012

worst shit ever shoot them both

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

February 22nd 2012

clercqie - I get you dude but a major point, as i made in my review, was that they were claiming to have turned off the pop-factor yet have produced a tepid, average pop record. Their two big tunes i find quite alright but nothing on this comes close to even those imo.

EDIT: KILL's a big fan, obvs...

AliW1993
February 22nd 2012

Yeah I quite liked That's Not My Name back in the day but it (and The Ting Tings in general) got old very quickly. It didn't help that their LP kinda sucked.

February 22nd 2012

This seems to be one of the rare instances where we're on the same wavelength, Ali!

Love how everyone is dropping by to diss the Ting Tings and not to read the review haha. I know they blow but at least bloody read the review! I'm an egomaniac!!

February 22nd 2012

the girl in this band is beautiful, that's why I listened to them once in a while (mostly watched the videos). however, i haven't listened to this and you should've waited a few days more for this to come out because it will probably be deleted by the moderators.

Digging: Karma To Burn - Arch Stanton

PoodleRapist
February 22nd 2012

didn't read, but wanted to diss.

...just kidding. it's not that bad! sure, there's absolutely no substance, and it's completely derivative, and it's a bit too obnoxious for its own good at times, but...

....wait. i was going somewhere with this.

PoodleRapist

also pos

Beachcoma
February 22nd 2012

What is the album art supposed to even represent? Themselves?

February 22nd 2012

it was an artwork contest and the band picked this one as the cover.

Cheers Poodle ;)

insomniac15 - Hope not. Its had quite a few ratings so its spread a bit already. Stream will hopefully pop up soon too so it'd be mean if they pulled it haha.

Nikkolae
February 22nd 2012

somehow their debuts name seems a bit ominous now doesn't it?

Digging: We Came Out Like Tigers - Ever-Crushed at Pecket's Well

February 22nd 2012

hopefully not Tom because it's a good review.

Nikkolae - LOL!

insomniac15 - Cheers, bud.

February 22nd 2012

I gave this a listen and it's a downer. The only great thing here is Hands which is on the Deluxe Edition. pos