Urgehal
Through Thick Fog Till Death

good

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (196 Reviews)
February 20th, 2012 | 24 replies | 2,285 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: It’s Satan loving, in your face raspy black metal.

Hailing from Norway, Urgehal specialise in unrelenting black metal, face paint and body spikes; typical of Norway’s black metal scene in the early to mid nineties. At live performances guitarist Enzifer can even be seen wearing face spikes. More importantly the music they present isn’t quite as tasteless. Tracks are crafted not only to blast their way into a listener’s subconscious but also remain firmly rooted to the forefront of the listeners mind. Tracks blast, groove, and ring resonating with a murky, yet professional production. Giving life to this done and done before sound. Through Thick Fog Till Death shows a band at the top of their sound, well practiced and comfortable with a consistent approach to their musical offerings.

Through Thick Fog Till Death incorporates everything listeners would expect from a Norwegian black metal band; namely in blast beats, shrieked mid high vocals and the tremolo and chug work of the guitars. This does not however create a tiresome listen. Rather the blast beats feed off the riffing and the shrieks and guttural screams are layered over the main beats of any particular phrase creating a punchy rhythmic effect, showing off Urgehal’s ability to create intelligent tracks and further reinforce the listeners attention on Through Thick Fog Till Death. It should be noted that diversity, for the most part is few and far between. After a while or even after repeated listens, riffs mesh together and the similarity of drum beats do little to dissuade this effect. Positively however, the lead work (when heard) adds a sense of musical technicality that is not only refreshing on the ears of the listener but also showcases Enzifer’s talents as a guitarist, showing that he does more than just pound out the same riffs over and over again. Rather the dissonant chording and tremolo picking reinforce Urgehal’s Satanist themes (see track titles).

First released with a mere 500 copies Through Thick Fog Till Death through Agonia Records, (the album itself has now become banned in Germany) it was later re-released with a few live tracks that despite their low production values don’t sound out of place on the record and further add to the listener enjoyment where minus the bass listeners will be able to hear every riff, scream and beat. Unfortunately, this turns a rather long listen into an even longer one where the attention of the listener already begins to wane.

Overall, there’s not too much to say about Urgehal’s Through Thick Fog Till Death. It is a solid albeit repetitive record that represents much of the same track to track; plagued by a lacking diversity in its tracks. The albums consistency is both a positive and a negative, it allows for a steady reception from fans and other listeners but limits the amount of growth the album could have had over repeated listens. Through Thick Fog Till Death doesn’t grow or expand, there’s definitely nothing groundbreaking about the music. Urgehal’s Through Thick Fog Till Death is simply what it is. No frills no let up, no remorse this album was not made to sweep anyone off their feet but rather pummel them into the ground.

Mastodon Once More 'Round the SunMayhem Esoteric Warfare
Architects Lost Forever // Lost TogetherKauan Pirut
Miserable Failure HopeBong Stoner Rock

cool will check

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

Hawks
February 20th 2012

I've only heard this band's newest album. It's good, but it doesn't make me wanna check out anymore from them. Pretty standard stuff.

Digging: Equilibrium - Erdentempel

February 20th 2012

kinda got that impression but the ratings but imma still check it, only takes a sec

February 20th 2012

anyone want to help out ith the album art?

@Hawks, CaptainDOo, it's much of the same as their newest but a little better was half tempted to go 3.5/5 with this but it's length got to me.

February 20th 2012

Here's the artwork you requested.

February 20th 2012

Cheers Styles, it's not exactly pagan metal, but I've become a little less quiet of late.

Crysis
February 20th 2012

They have a copy of this at the local record store and I've been thinking about buying it for like 3 years now but the fact that the album art is so bad and the fact that it hasn't been sold in the 3 years I've been thinking about buying it makes me believe it's not worth it.

February 20th 2012

it's not exactly pagan metal, but I've become a little less quiet of late.
Yeah I have no idea what you meant under that lol.

Eclecticist
February 20th 2012

I thought this album was very boring and I really agree with the rating that you gave it.

February 20th 2012

You told me I've been quiet on sputnik for a while, and it was a reference to me not reviewing Helvetios

February 20th 2012

Oooh ok, now I get it. Your wording was still awkward though ;)

February 20th 2012

That's alright when it's in the comments, better down here then up there.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 20th 2012

sounds like some butt fucking butt chugging butt loving good shit

nice review rob

February 20th 2012

iFghtffyrdmns, thanks man, means a lot to see that coming from you (somebody's gotta watch out for me right?)
Feel free to point out anything. There as a fair gap between writing these last 2.

February 20th 2012

man where do they find chicks who let them take picture like that man i want one

Digging: Autechre - Draft 7.30

A chick or a pic?

February 20th 2012

um the chick i can get pics anytime i want

February 20th 2012

lol, it's probably 'paid' work if you know what I mean.

February 20th 2012

it will be with me too probably

February 22nd 2012

should 2.5/5'd this im thinking.