Vowel
All the Sad Songs

by Mary Paultese USER (35 Reviews)
February 20th, 2012 | 24 replies | 4,567 views

Review Summary: Skramz and violinz: a match made in heaven... or hell. Whatever sounds better.

Well this certainly looks familiar: a new EP on Bandcamp with a picture of a house on the cover. Is this an indication that the band’s material will be all too familiar as well? Well, sort of – but don’t count out Columbus, OH screamo act, Vowel, just yet. While their general sound is emotionally heavy and similar to contemporaries such as The Saddest Landscape, their latest release All the Sad Songs brings enough new ideas to the table to improve upon usually dull aspects of the genre.

Most notably, what sets Vowel apart from other bands who combine the beauty and melody of post-rock with the chaos of screamo is the addition of violinist Amelia Bango. No faux-orchestra synthesizer preset or other instrument can quite capture the rawness or texture of the violin, and it truly adds another dimension of sound to the tracks. Desperate vocals combined with lyrics that provide the listener with harrowing imagery give All the Sad Songs an ominous feeling throughout. Discomfort emanates from each song, despite brief moments of hopefulness that come and go like a relieving breeze on an unbearably hot day. If there is one thing to be said about the band, it is that they truly succeed in capturing an overall feeling of eeriness.

Right off the bat, She Was an Air Traffic Controller is explosive and dark, telling the story of a girl who would like nothing less than to see the world go up in flames. While the mood is unquestionably there, there are some areas in which Vowel could use refinement. The CTTS-esque, dual vocal approach is hit or miss, for example, as the more melodic voice of the group can be grating at times and border upon being a bit too whiny. Nonetheless, the presence of multiple vocals adds variation and makes the stronger vocal segments all the more enjoyable.

Apart from slight vocal improvements that could be made, All the Sad Songs is a very solid release from the unsigned screamo band out of OH. There is not one uninspired moment on the EP, and the musicianship is surprisingly varied from track to track, expectations aside. Unfortunately for Vowel, this particular breed of post-hardcore/screamo is in abundance at the moment (thanks to Pianos Become the Teeth and other “Wave” kin), and while they are plenty deserving, it may prove to be difficult for them to truly shine through the mass of other bands with similar intentions.

Saves the Day Can't Slow DownHouse Boat 21st Century Breakroom
Joie de Vivre We're All Better Than ThisState Lines State Lines
Light Black Ex WivesDaytrader Twelve Years

February 20th 2012

check em out. definitely a high 3.5.

February 20th 2012

album art looks cool, but I dont listen to much punk so I don't know if i'd like this

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

artificialbox
February 20th 2012

Good review. I've been listening to this for the past few days, cool to see somebody else recognize
them.

@CaptainDooRight
It's not really punk

February 20th 2012

post hardcore I see, maybe ill check, ya never know what ur gonna like na mean

Skramz and violinz

I'm sold.

thanks artificial.

Hep Kat
February 20th 2012

yeah this is pretty decent

Digging: Fucked Up - Year of the Dragon

TheSpirit

need to hear this

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

February 20th 2012

ins't the album art awesome spirit

TheSpirit

yes i like it a lot

iFghtffyrdmns
February 20th 2012

bolding tracks looks stupid, especially if you only mention one track from the whole EP. good review nonetheless

February 20th 2012

i'm just gonna start bolding my entire reviews

also, house artwork: http://i44.tinypic.com/5oxnys.jpg

iFghtffyrdmns

hah wow that's interesting^
I've listened to most of those and still didn't catch your little reference at the start of this review..... oops.

jayfatha

I agree with this

iamSeraph
March 1st 2012

great review, great cd. wow.

tuk
March 8th 2012

pretty good stuff, don't like the high-pitched vocalist though

treeqt.
April 2nd 2012

the level of awesome on this cd is ridiculously high

Digging: Jason Lescalleet - Much to My Demise

slutnik
April 4th 2012

the singing reminds me of Alesana

jlech
May 6th 2012

I enjoyed this, but I enjoy going to bandcamp's emo tag and knowing how the album will sound by the cover art more.

EvilCashew
June 12th 2012

Pretty good stuff. Seeing all these little bands pop up in the genre gives me hope it will surface again.