Ever Dark
Not of God

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 19th, 2012 | 29 replies | 1,681 views

Release Date: 1997 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Extremely Blasphemous Black/Death Metal with amazing Compositions

If you're offending by blasphemous signatures, leave now.

Ok so do you know the feeling when your nerves are struck, when you feel awkward, as if you're doing something wrong and evil? Well this is the impression "Not of God" will give you. When you hear the vocalist Storm scream at you about Jesus being burned or destroyed you may feel a little uneasy. Anyone who knows God's name as mention in the bible know's it be Jehovah. When you hear vocal lines saying:

"Jehovah has failed"

You can't help but feel uneasy. This is as blasphemous as you can get. This review isn't praising such utterances, rather it's making the reader aware of what to expect. Much noteworthy aspects are the amazing compositions. The blending of tremolos and drums always work in perfect harmony with the lyrics being presented. As noted above, the lyrics "Jehovah has failed" is backed up by a desolate sounding atmosphere in "Heaven's Damnation".

"Not of God" has an overall very aggressive atmosphere but brings the groove hard and favors an accessible listen, but like said before the lyrics do not. The constant talk of demonic themes can be overwhelming for the listener. If it weren't a song with musical aspects you would pretty much be reading a book written by demon possessed man.

When you hear good music its nice to hear diversity. "Gravesite Rites" brings the variational onsets with fast, slow, solo, and sludgy passages causing a very enjoyable listen. The cohesiveness of the tracks makes "Not of God" an album that can be enjoyed as a whole unit rather than individual tracks. The sometimes catchy harmonies offset the overall aggression, but even than when you hear of daughters being rapped, aggression still lies within catchy phrases.

The vocal are very diverse and sometimes screamed and growls, or even whispered and talked out. They fluctuate through these phases quite often and provide the over all atmosphere of this album. The lyrics are able to be understood as well.

For an American Blackened Death Metal release in '97, Ever Dark make's a huge dent in history. Surprisingly their still active and probably haven't released anything since due to all the supposes backlash they received from such a blasphemous but well composed release. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED TO YOU!!!

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

February 19th 2012

whole albums good, check the whole thing out, all the tracks have something new to offer

seedofnothing

good review, checking

February 19th 2012

thanks seed you should like this

February 19th 2012

sigh...another mediocre album...i give up guys

February 19th 2012

are you serious, this is good, did you even listen to the whole album

I'm starting to question your taste at this point.....

says the guy that gave Xenomorph a 5

February 19th 2012

captain, i like you bro, doesn't mean i have to agree with you

try this album, Nocturnal Graves - Satan's Cross

has no votes and no review. ripe for the picking.

Tyrannic
February 19th 2012

"If you're offending by blasphemous signatures, leave now."

Wizard
February 19th 2012

Captain try Von or Profanatica for blasphemous blackened dm, much better.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

February 19th 2012

"says the guy that gave Xenomorph a 5"

already been established I troll rated that album, pretty sure I told you that yesterday

"captain, i like you bro, doesn't mean i have to agree with you

try this album, Nocturnal Graves - Satan's Cross

has no votes and no review. ripe for the picking"

I like you too, but thats just because I'm gay.
I've heard that album, owns hard, taking hard

"Captain try Von or Profanatica for blasphemous blackened dm, much better"

sounds good will do

February 19th 2012

like i troll rated static-x, gwar, cradle of filth, etc?

no, i like those bands

don't try to play it off now, bro

valerius has caught you

February 19th 2012

ain't caught nothin, my taste is elite, never forget that

lol, right on man

February 19th 2012

"Captain try Von or Profanatica for blasphemous blackened dm, much better"

I've actually heard von, I have both their albums rated, but I don't recall anything from Profanatica, will check, thanks for the rec bro

February 19th 2012

profanatica is mediocre dont waste your time

February 19th 2012

"profanatica is mediocre dont waste your time"

extremely mediocre we can agree on that, snorefest for days. What are you thinking wizard, I should behead you for that. jk but thanks anyways

"this album is ok, its just too long, and the songs are too long, they dont have the chops to be making 9 minute songs and hour long albums"

yeah bro its not a 5, its in the 4-4.5 range and a grower too, you gotta let it sink in. I know what you're gonna say about this and that. But it really is a solid album and if only heard the two songs I posted, you're missing out. you gotta get the whole album and listen to it to appreciate it.

February 19th 2012

i have a system and it works

no need for me to "let something sink in"...if you listen to anything long enough you will think its good

so much music, and i hack and slash it like Conan, only the strong survive

February 19th 2012

yeah i pretty much do the same. I know what I like which is why I stick to real m/ and if it catches me and I find points I can grow to like than I'll stick with it

trust me there's a lotta stuff I hate/can't stand

also listening to Nocturnal Graves again and def needs a rev