Sleigh Bells
Reign of Terror

by Adam Thomas STAFF
February 19th, 2012 | 123 replies | 26,539 views

Review Summary: A hell of a drug

Sleigh Bells' debut album Treats was a shot fired across the bow of the indie-verse all the way from left field. At a time when even the noisiest of faux-art rawk innovators, such as Tune-Yards, still tried to walk the line between dreamy sonicscapes and bullshit for the sake of bullshit, the duo of Derek Miller and Alexis Krauss wowed with an attack straight to the throat. Treats was unabashedly dirty, obnoxiously fucking loud, and noisy instead of “noisy”. Even its slow jam “Rill Rill”, with its cleverly used Funkadelic loop, sounded as though it was red lining the mixing board. And you know what, it worked. All of it. While a couple of the tracks were clearly not the best use of the CD space, Treats was the closest recreation and encapsulation of a band's live show that wasn't actually a live album in years.

So now that they've had the time to not only work out the kinks, but also blow up from seemingly nowhere, how is Sleigh Bells 2.0? It's everything that you would expect it to be after hearing their debut. It's still loud, mixed with the intent to bludgeon your car speakers with its sleazy, ultra trebley power chords and chopped 808s, but at the same time it is slightly more refined in its approach. Alexis' light and airy vocals are brought out to their studio best through being layered in every which direction. This, as well as by being mixed with more than a fair share of reverb and placed behind Derek's chop shop clusterfuck club soundtrack, turns her into a siren whose pleasant vocal chords act as a guiding light through all the white lines and empty tall-cans of budget drunk beer. Unlike Treats though, there is not one weak track among the bunch here on Reign of Terror, having learned from their only mistake on Treats of on occasion pumping up the abrasiveness with some too simple and repetitive of melodies.

To put it simply where Treats was the party soundtrack, Reign of Terror is the entire party – from the first sip to the first hit, from the rising high to the crushing comedown, to trying to piece together your night of questionable decisions through the haze of waking up on the living room floor of an apartment that you just can't seem to remember having ever been in before knowing all the while that you had a little too much fun.

United Nations The Next Four YearsMatter Teraphim
The Hotelier Home, Like NoPlace Is ThereOwls Two
Taking Back Sunday Happiness IsGridLink Longhena
3.2
good
Jacob Royal STAFF (4)
As sweet as saccharine....

Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Sleigh Bells try to build on their already unique sound and ultimately found themselves sinking unde...

Dylan S. (4)
Sleigh Bells hold on to their traditional sound, but throw some obvious improvements into the mix....

Treats

Bitter Rivals
recommended by reviewer
The Things
That Give
You A
Bad Hangover

February 19th 2012

It's been a while. What's up?

Knott-

so fucking visceral

sup the only 2 albums ive listened to for about a week at the top of the staff reviews box

klap
February 19th 2012

i like this a lot more than treats

stop using that word knottt

Digging: The Bilinda Butchers - Heaven

AggravatedYeti
February 19th 2012

don't take such a long break next time; stay sharp.

Steoandnoodles
February 19th 2012

Going to give this a listen to tomorrow. =)
Good review. I quite liked Treats so I should like this, right?

Knott-
February 19th 2012

you think of a better word rudy and i'll start using that instead!!!

FelixCulpa
February 19th 2012

Nice review. Definitively agree with you concerning the consistency of this compared to Treats.

Their SNL performance wasn't to shabby either if anyone saw that.

AliW1993
February 19th 2012

I was disappointed by this at first but it's grown on me quite a bit since. I still prefer the more direct approach of Treats but this is definitely a lot more consistant over all.

PistolPete
February 19th 2012

I feel like a tool giving this the rating I did, but it meant very little to me after even five run-throughs. I can't describe it any way other than it lacks "oomph". Good review though, but you're staff so it's expected.

Digging: Nothing More - Nothing More

February 19th 2012

The amount of "oomph" depends on how loud you play it.

This is sister music

Translation^?

February 19th 2012

My sister listens to this

AlexTM510

sweet review as always Adam

this is steadily growing on me. this is def. more consistent than Treats, 'Never Say Die' is really awesome.

DoubtGin
February 19th 2012

Demons rules, rest is ok.

PistolPete
February 19th 2012

"The amount of "oomph" depends on how loud you play it."

You're right, but I just wasn't caught off guard like the first album. You described Treats really well as "a shot fired across the bow of the indie-verse all the way from left field". Had that same feeling, but it didn't recur when I listened to this. This just felt...watered-down? Visceral...if you will =P

Omaha
February 19th 2012

"Even it's slow jam “Rill Rill”"

Caught an it's-bomb!

Was going to write a review for this just now, but not sure if it's necessary at this point. I agree with a lot of what you said, except I don't quite enjoy it as much.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

Irving
February 19th 2012

To put it simply where Treats was the party soundtrack,

You need a dash or a comma or a colon after "simply" but otherwise solid review. Would like to check this out...if you'll provide one or two serious "recommended by reviewer" artists, that is.

Irving

Sorry double post.

iFghtffyrdmns

fuck yes, this review.
alright now i need to give this another listen