Sleigh Bells
Reign of Terror

by Dylan S. USER (66 Reviews)
February 14th, 2012 | 27 replies | 5,682 views

Review Summary: Sleigh Bells hold on to their traditional sound, but throw some obvious improvements into the mix.

Claiming to be the loudest band in the world, the duo of Alexis Krauss and Derek Miller of the band Sleigh Bell have crafted their sophomore album entitled ‘Reign of Terror’ set to drop on February 22.

If you know anything about Sleigh Bells, you know that they are a very minimalistic band, just a simple beat, Krauss’ poppy vocals, layered with a harsh, melodic, yet raging guitar riff composed by Miller, creating a very unique style of brutally beautiful songs.

‘Reign of Terror’ is exactly that. The lead single, “Born to Lose” opens with a vigorous drumming pattern and the signature guitar riff that would rattle any speakers. All of this of course, topped with Krauss’ repetitive and sweet vocals singing, “Where did you go? You where born to lose,” creating a dynamic parallel between vocals and music.

One of the albums best moments comes with the teenage anthem, “Crush,” utilizing the sounds of stomping and clapping to create a very stadium rocking sound and has the albums most catchy chorus.

Unlike the bands debut album, ‘Treats,’ this new effort does throw a bit of a curve ball into the game. Songs like “End Of The Line” and “Road To Hell” are much more mellow affairs. Using the term mellow loosely though, for while they are slower tracks with more emphasis on vocals than the massive guitar riff is still forever present, though never feels out of place. Although this slight change in their normal sound may come as a surprise to fans of the bands traditional sound.

All of these more Sleigh Bells-mellow moments are dueled with their signature hardness though, with tracks like “Comeback Kid” and “Demons” being some of the roughest, loudest tracks the band have ever recorded. The later of which using has Krauss shouting viciously over an almost “Iron Man”-like guitar riff.

Throughout the entire album Sleigh Bells proves one main concept, they are not just a flash in the pan. They are a band that is here to stay and have just the right mixture of loudness to never let you forget it.

Bjork TelegramCher Closer To The Truth
Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros HereChromatics Night Drive
Lana Del Rey ParadiseMadonna Madonna
3.2
good
Jacob Royal STAFF (4)
As sweet as saccharine....

Adam Thomas STAFF (4)
A hell of a drug...

Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (3)
Sleigh Bells try to build on their already unique sound and ultimately found themselves sinking unde...

Bitter Rivals

Treats

dylantheairplane
February 14th 2012

My very quick write up on this album, probably too short but ya know I don't really care!

Anyway this album is boss

pizzamachine
February 14th 2012

Dude, if you don't provide an album stream the review will be taken down.

dylantheairplane

Whoopsie

fuckthatnoise

TR00 SHRED GUITAR m/

album owns. not sure what to rate it yet, but i definitely can see myself returning to this more frequently than i did Treats.

AliW1993
February 14th 2012

This is pretty good and all but the main reason why I loved Treats was because of how direct it was. This doesn't offer any of that.

February 14th 2012

I've liked the two tracks that have been released early, but I have a feeling I'll still not like this album.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

thatoneguy726
February 14th 2012

Almost any of these songs could be played while somebody walks in slow motion on their way to wage any kind of war with another person.

clercqie
February 14th 2012

Do want! Hope the riffs are as good as you say : )

Also, have a pos.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

gabethepiratesquid
February 14th 2012

Did you listen to this two whole times before you wrote the review?

Aphrodisiac
February 14th 2012

Leader of the Pack was awesome

clercqie
February 14th 2012

Meh, dissapointed... Album seems way too hollow

TMobotron
February 14th 2012

I get what you mean by it, but is it right to call this band minimalistic? They don't have a lot of sources for sound (like you said, guitar vox and simple drums), but the way they're used is so far from minimalistic IMO.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 14th 2012

damn, i go to work for 3 hours and a stream of this drops? need to hear this as soon as I get home.

also, this review reads as if you listened to the first 3 songs as soon as the stream went up and just blasted it out. might be worth putting some more into it after you've given this more listens.

scissorlocked
February 14th 2012

I've listened to treats a year ago and was kinda confused

is this like a continuation of that sound?

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

FelixCulpa
February 14th 2012

Treats had some low lows (The songs weren't exactly bad but man there were some songs that I just skipped every time) and some high highs. This is a more consistent record and I want to like it even more than I do, but some songs just aren't to exciting. Comeback kid however is fucking fantastic though, love that song.

Island

Sputnik rushing reviews since

cinaedus
February 14th 2012

i loved treats for a while but then it just got incredibly annoying, so i probably won't bother

FromDaHood
February 14th 2012

I need a fucking download link for this

Digging: Waxahatchee - Cerulean Salt

FromDaHood
February 14th 2012

Whoops, found one. Love you Demonoid.

iFghtffyrdmns
February 14th 2012

Whoops, found one. Love you Demonoid.

hah same. forgot that site was occasionally still relevant until tonight