L'arc-en-Ciel
Ark

by discovolante USER (79 Reviews)
February 13th, 2012 | 13 replies | 3,472 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Japan's L'arc-en-Ciel strike gold, and create a neo-prog/alternative masterpiece.

Ahh yes. Good ol' L'arc en Ciel. A band that can guys can vibe too, and girls can cream to, in peace. L'arc-en-Ciel is one of Japan's most successful rock bands to come out in the last 20 years, and it's not that hard to see why. In the late 1990s, L'arc-en-Ciel were at the peak of their career. And thanks to the infamous arrest of their former drummer and pretty solid success of their last album, "Heart", L'arc en Ciel were ready to be launched into stardom with their breakthrough summer 1999 release of Ark.

In this album, L'arc-en-Ciel are still combining elements of alternative and progressive rock, with a pinch of pop rock thrown in for good measure. The album starts off with the powerful stomp of "Forbidden Lover", that is chockful dramatic vocals performed by the acclaimed frontman, Hyde, and an eerie and excellent instrumentation performed by the band. An all-around great introduction to a classic Japanese rock album.

The album continues on, and comes with all kinds of pleasant surprises, and covers a wide range of rock, from the driving beat of "Heaven's Drive", to the more laid back feeling with "What is Love?", to the spacey, extremely nostalgic stomp of "Dive to Blue", to even an island-tinged sound with"Perfect Blue". The different progressions throughout the album is very rewarding as it not only shows how many influences are in involved in this band, but also has a track than can satisfy just about every kind of rock fan. The production value of the album is equally priceless, as the 90's-era sound adds a bit of an extra charm to the album.

With their lenient tactics of conquering modern alt. rock music, it should be no surprise that "Ark" by L'arc en Ciel was a huge homerun and steppingstone for the band. So, if you're into alternative rock that has tons of influences in store, with a nostalgic pinch to boot, then by all means, give "Ark" by L'arc-en-Ciel a spin. You might find yourself intertwined with the boys's music in a matter of no time...

Supercar OOKeah!!Sex Machineguns Made in Japan
Nine Days Wonder The Scenery is in Disguise ThereSoul Scream The Deep
fOUL Dostoevsky GrooveMissile Girl Scoot Fiesta!
recommended by reviewer
Hyde 666
Glay Beloved
hide Ja, Zoo

February 12th 2012

This is my first review. So please don't be too harsh on it. Thanks.

Digging: S.R.S - Across the Mindset

Acanthus
February 12th 2012

I've got SMILE by these guys, have yet to get hooked on them yet.

sidjmt
February 12th 2012

Glad to see a review for this j-rock classic. Definitely my favorite from L'Arc.

Xenophanes
February 12th 2012

"Ahh yes. Good ol' L'arc en Ciel. A band that can guys can vibe too, and girls can cream to, in peace."

Stopped reading after this. Awful way to open up a review.

Also, was thinking about reviewing their new album, although I don't entirelly know the international release date rules.

February 12th 2012

Mine too, sid. And acanthus, Smile's definitely not one of their best works. I'd recommend either Ark or Real to get their best stuff.

February 12th 2012

Yea Xeno. I had this in the vault for a while. Tweaked on it here and there... should've revised that
part lol

Acanthus
February 12th 2012

I might at that, though Dir en Grey has been eating up my time lately.

February 12th 2012

Dir en Grey are amazing as well, no doubt.

Only heard Driver's High

Digging: Interpol - El Pintor

KMHouldey
March 2nd 2012

'Ahh yes. Good ol' L'arc en Ciel. A band that can guys can vibe too, and girls can cream to, in peace.'

Er...?

July 8th 2012

Wow.... so this is my first review, eh? Quite embarrassing..

yea you suck

Digging: Invisible - El jardin de los presentes

July 8th 2012

Well, I SUCKED. I don't really think I do anymore.