Bluetech
Prima Materia

by Beachcoma USER (9 Reviews)
February 10th, 2012 | 7 replies | 2,093 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A robust attempt made by the highly underrated electronic artist

The hard-working psychedelic trance/dub artist, Bluetech, is highly underrated in both genre and popularity. There’s a definite chance when you mention Psy-Trance to an already fan of the genre, they will either recite Shpongle or Younger Brother, while leaving Bluetech in the midst. Over the last decade, pertaining to his publicity, the man hasn’t conquered the biggest prize. Evan Bartholomew hasn’t shined in the spotlight for most of his ambitious career, whilst most sought-after groups have. However, he’s made some versatile LP’s and EP’s which all together have put healthy body weight on the genre itself. ‘Prima Materia’ is definitely Bluetech’s strongest album to date (also his debut), and is one of the most carefully thought out Trance/Dub albums I’ve ever heard.

Such a thing ‘Prima Materia’ is. I mean, there’s so much to uncover with each listen. It’s the type of album where it’s almost essential to listen to it multiple times to crack open the true significance. With the very first listen through the entire album, there’s a 50% chance that you won’t digest it all in one sitting. The carefully layered beats and melodies are the ultimate reason why this task won’t be completed at the beginning. Most of them scream complexity, and process at different rates and measures that are easily capable of fumbling your mind. ‘Prima Materia’ is nothing short of an adventure.

Evan Bartholomew works with a wide variety of tripped- out synthesizers and varietal effects to deliver a relaxing style on ‘Prima Materia’. His sounds are reflected off a computer based software and a large diaphragm of what-is-known-as, Reaktor instruments. He even adds in some classical music directed straight from ones like Rachmaninoff to give the tune more atmospheres and delicacy. There are a lot of ‘organic feeling’ sounds to be heard here as well. There are many spiritual sounding flutes and strings that appear left and right. Because the album is so emotionally attached (with the heartwarming melodies and relaxing rhythms influenced by dub and chillout-styles), it brings thick mascaras of warm feelings. It’s all just a hot mess of awesomeness.

So what it comes down to, is even though Blutech isn’t one of the most well known Psy-Trance/Dub artists around, he is still one of the greatest. Every album he’s released has been an effort, and offered a variety of epic mind journeys. There’s a lot to be said about ‘Prima Materia’, but the main point to realize is the album is an unbelievable attempt made by Evan Bartholomew.