Ulfhethnar
Beyond Their Mortal Boundaries(Demo)

by CaptainDooRight USER (93 Reviews)
February 9th, 2012 | 20 replies | 2,135 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Out of the many ways to express a person's deepest thoughts, music seems to be the most advantageous; for by doing this a person can release their emotion's upon their expressions, creating a replica of the mind with sound. The band members of Ulfhethnar have done well in presenting a well thought out Black Metal album using cold atmospheric themes and feelings of disparity; they do this with the careful use of selected tremolos, blast beats, mid-high screeched vocals, and a raw produced atmosphere. Tremolos are used 95% of the time on this album; they add a distinct feature, identifying themselves as the vain in which the emotional aspect of "Beyond Their Mortal Boundaries" is carried.

Dark undertones are always present, never allowing a moment of hope or furtherance. "Dark" does not mean a certain degree of melody can't be allowed. There is a more straightforward approach to the riffing style on this album. A plethora of notes are fused into the tremolo patterns and vary greatly.

Track 2-6 are the meat and potatoes of "Beyond Their Mortal Boundaries"; regarding this, the opening and closing tracks are quite notable. The album opens up with a symphonic-like opera that gradually builds into the main course. The closing track concludes with a pompous sounding speech that sounds like a skit outtake from of one of Hitler's discourses, although I have not confirmed its actual source as of yet.

Ulfhethnar have done well in creating a solid Black Metal album even if its roots do not run through their family line; being that they are native to Argentina, South America. They have proven that the emotions associated with 'KVLT' can be achieved no matter where its source is manifest, as long as proper focus and intent are utilized. Behold! The first artifact from Ulfhethnar, the demo entitled "Beyond Their Mortal Boundaries".

Dropped Flyer Electronic CigaretteAbacus Abacus
Van der Graaf Generator Pawn HeartsFinch (NL) Beyond Expression
Orwell AVOHFASIHOdyssey (USA) An Abstract Existence
4.3

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7CfVQ-Px0o

^"Winter Darkness"

I also recommended checking out track 4 "Fenriz Stamm".[I unfortunately can't kind a link for this one though]

These two tracks show two different spectrums of this album. Download should be available on internet as well.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

Shuyin

need to check this, pos

Digging: All the Empires of the World - Sunscraper

3/5 - 3.5/5

TheSpirit
February 9th 2012

one of your best reviews yet, pos

may check this out although honestly I haven't really been enjoying black metal lately

Digging: Sexdrome - Grown Younger

February 9th 2012

I agree with Brandon, this is your best review yet. Sounds like something I'd like for sure.

February 9th 2012

"I haven't really been enjoying black metal lately"

What has prompted such a disposition?

TheSpirit

not enough snow

and i had my period last week

February 9th 2012

Also, thank you everyone for your positive response and feedback!

Just downloaded this.

And fuck you Cone you fuck.

February 9th 2012

"vocals are rather good, riffs arent bad, drums are a bit low in the mix so hard to concentrate on them. bass pops out now and then. pretty much a guitar and vocal driven album. this seemed kind of mediocre at first but the vocalist was kind of fun to listen to."

You'll find your above mentioned aspect's to be quite common amongst black metal albums released around the early 2000's-before, including artist's operating on low budgets. The fuzzy static from the guitars usually take the forefront over audible bass. But fortunately like you said, the bass can be heard from time to time but is not always a dominant feature in "raw" black metal. However, I can understand the meaning behind the desire's associated with audible bass.

"not enough snow"

I can definately understanding your pain. Nothing heightens the "Black Metal" experience than good o'le cold snow and frost bitten atmospheres. I'm unfortunately experiencing a lack of season in my location as well.

This is good.

@Hawks -

If you liked this, check out their Lp "Essence of Superiority". I believe most would find that to be more enjoyable if they ended up liking this. I'm a demo fanatic which is why I decided to review this instead of the actual LP. But I may come around to reviewing the LP as well. I've loaded the album and art onto the database. The cover's really cool. You can never go wrong with wolves.

February 9th 2012

Yeah I was thinking about downloading that one too. I probably will eventually.

February 10th 2012

Hey guys the download for "Essence of Superiority" is still avail, bes get it b'fore she's crashes

m/

February 10th 2012

that album isn't even worth fucking with the mastering on it is completely shit and unlistenable

February 10th 2012

you know I love you Valerius but you have to understand why I'm fucking rolling on the floor laughing everytime you comment on production in relation to black metal

lol I love you man

no dude

theres a huge difference in demo quality material, which i happen to really enjoy a lot of

and compressing your music to the max where it is unlistenable

February 10th 2012

the sound wave for that album is one straight conformed bar

there is no audio dynamics in it at all. it is loud as hell and annoying as fuck

February 10th 2012

you are right though, the lp is a more difficult listen. this does have better production and usually I'll prefer to review demos over the LP's because sometimes the production is just unpassable.