Kate Bush
The Sensual World

by DarthMann USER (21 Reviews)
February 8th, 2012 | 268 replies

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Can Kate Bush ever eclipse the genius that is 'Hounds of Love?' Perhaps not, but she gives it her best shot on the amazing release 'The Sensual World.'

Things couldn’t be better for Kate Bush. She had just released perhaps the most flawless album to ever exist ‘Hounds of Love,’ and proved all the doubters that she was not just a one hit wonder. Yet of course, the problem with releasing such a pivotal album is usually that whatever you do next is criticized and compared. Unfortunately for Kate, from a public perspective, her album ‘The Sensual World,’ has slipped beneath the grasp of society and lies underground, waiting for people to unearth it. This severe underrating is near criminal; Kate Bush once again excels and pushes the limits of perfection to a new level. Could anything beat ‘Hounds of Love?’ Perhaps not, but ‘The Sensual World,’ gives it a damn run for its money.

Kate once again returns to her pop roots, which inconsistently appeared throughout each of ‘The Sensual World’s’ predecessors. ‘Love and Anger,’ is a perfect example, containing catchy piano refrains, a simple drum beat and an accompaniment of strings. From a musical aspect, this album lives up to its ancestors, providing listeners with not only fine composition and musical diversity, but also some pleasing guitar work, noted on ‘Love and Anger,’ and ‘Rocket’s Tail.’ Kate Bush plays nearly three-quarters of the instruments displayed on this record which would be impressive in itself, even without the stellar execution.

In the English dictionary, there is not a single world that can accurately describe Kate Bush’s voice. ‘The Lips of an Angel,’ may come close, yet offensive due to the track of the same name by the despicable band ‘Hinder.’ Beautiful, angelic, breath-taking, heart-stopping, piercing and striking are also fairly fitting descriptions of her vocals, yet there is not a single word that can do Kate Bush, or how good she is, justice. There really is no point in pointing anyone to a certain song on this release as a reference to where Kate shines as her utter consistency to produce amazing vocal efforts is frighteningly recurrent. She sings her lyrics with such desperation and invigoration you can literally feel Kate’s love for music crawling over you like a million pleasant spiders.

”That clumsy good-bye kiss could fool me,
But I’m looking back over my shoulder,
At you, happy without me”

Lyrically, Kate is as strong as ever, yet her voice could turn even the cheesiest line into a work of art. Nonetheless her stanzas are effective, and she sings certain refrains with such pain the listener can literally sense and empathize with the ache Kate is experiencing when she puts her wounded mind down onto paper.

Kate Bush’s 6th studio release is perhaps one of the greatest pop releases to ever be recorded. Wildly underrated, ‘The Sensual World’ is an entertaining listen, as you hop on and experience Kate’s train of emotions, in song-form.

Dinosaur Jr. BugMuse The 2nd Law
Wongraven FjelltronenLumsk Troll
John Williams Harry Potter and the Philosopher's StoneJeremy Soule The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Soundtrack

yay

February 8th 2012

So I hear this girl is the epitome of metal.

Digging: Black Milk - If There's a Hell Below

the best of the best

February 8th 2012

Will read when I'm not in agonizing pain. This album is seriously overlooked though! That is to say that I approve of your ridiculously high rating.

why you in pain :[
and how this didnt have a review is beyond me

February 8th 2012

Tore a muscle right next to my heart and I'm pretty much immobilized for what could be weeks or months to come.

I thought for sure this had another review, but kudos for being the first one!

February 8th 2012

shit dude that sucks hope it works for you
i thought that every bush album had one too, looks like im in luck hey ! :]

February 8th 2012

Wow that sounds really bad Gyro I didn't even know you could pull muscles up there. That sounds very uncomfortable, get the rest you need. Maybe listen to some Kate Bush in the meantime I hear she's good and this guy put hard work into his review.

lol thanks bro

you should really listen to this

February 8th 2012

Maybe a sneak peak wouldn't hurt but sputnik has backlogged me with so many cool albums to listen to! Mimed this Beefcake album off some user and it is preety neato, checkin that. Maybe I'll give the old Bush a piece of action but I have previous obligations sorry.

February 8th 2012

ah well yeah when you first come to sputnik theres a shit load of albums to get

then you realise most sputnik albums suck and you start taking recs

February 8th 2012

what the fuck is up with all the kate bush love recently? it's like the most active 2 percent of the
site just collectively shit itself into consciousness regarding her existence within the last month.

because of the metal

February 8th 2012

i predict this thread will be a circle jerk between nothing but a bunch of alts. and gyro.

February 8th 2012

the whole metal crew as well.

February 8th 2012

Maybe you should take this new found popularity as a sign man! Maybe Kate is just the right fit for you and your taste, you don't know unless you try. And if it isn't well that's okay too, no big deal but you tried!

lol redsky
sonic started it and it kinda just spread

and hes not my alt

February 8th 2012

I used to be on absolute punk if that helps the investigation

February 8th 2012

my dad is a kate bush fan. i've heard more than my fair share of kate bush records. it's not my thing.
i just find her sudden popularity here somewhat interesting. especially since i don't associate most
of the people who are recent fans with 80's art pop.

fair enough
well not really but i know what you mean