Rippikoulu

by Matt P. STAFF
February 7th, 2012 | 202 replies

Release Date: 1993 | Tracklist

Review Summary: dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom

It is cold as *** in Finland. I mean, I'm from the south United States, so I have no grasp of what the word "cold" really means, but still, Finland is cold as ***. Luckily for us, that seems to be a relatively good thing, because instead of focusing on normal people activities like going outside, the metal-fisting residents of Finland spent their time crafting one of the finest death metal scenes of the early nineties. Rippikoulu was one of the earliest of this wave of Finndeath. They were originally formed as a punk/metal outfit (which is a bit strange seeing the sound they eventually evolved) and never made it past the demo stage of recording. They would go on to see only two demos released before the death of their guitarist in 1995 and the eventual demise of the band. This is unfortunate because the material they managed to release in this short time, more specifically their second demo, Musta Seremonia, ranks among the best releases of the unholy Finnish death metal scene.

Musta Seremonia is essentially a death/doom record. The Finnish death scene was always mostly doom and gloom, but Rippikoulu's sound is far more doom than most of the recognizable acts of the time. The cavernous low end brings about a whole new meaning to the phrase bone-crushing heaviness. From the very start Musta Seremonia crawls along like some deformed monstrosity, oozing out each riff into the twisted pool of death and doom they so masterfully created. This doesn't mean the pace is stagnant, for in several places the tempo jumps to a gallop, but the majority of the record dwells on the ball-smashing heavy low end of the doom tinged riffs.

For being only a second demo the production is surprisingly clear, and benefits things more than a muddy or murky production probably would have. However, it still retains that deep, organic sound that makes death metal sound so good. The colossal, subterranean stench of Musta's 31 minute run time, enhanced by the inhumanly guttural vocals typical of most Finndeath, makes it a paradigm of the unholy reign of the early Finnish death metal scene. While not as well known as the heroes of the scene, Rippikoulu crafted a record that only added to the legendary status of the ranks of the frozen death metal scene of Scandinavia's drunken eastern counterpart. If you like doom, and death, and having your face smashed under the weight of a ten-ton ***ing hammer, the Musta Seremonia is a must for your collection.

Recondite IffyBlut Aus Nord Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry
Charlatan Local AgentM. Geddes Gengras Ishi
Lone Reality TestingPlaid Reachy Prints

February 7th 2012

i feel like i didnt do this album justice so neg all you want

shitty review enjoy

Digging: Bee Mask - When We Were Eating Unripe Pears

Katechon
February 7th 2012

An MSN buddy of mine from Finland used to always jizz all over this, though I never really bothered with it. I guess I'll check it out later today.

ValeriusTheImmortal

great shit

Digging: Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth

Wizard

19612 Comments

I was gonna say that the title is straight Finnish and I was right hahahaha.

You're right, you don't hahahaha. Finland is not as cold as you think it is. Otherwise, I love informative reviews. Can't wait to listen to this.

Digging: Hans Zimmer - Interstellar

TheSpirit

Demo fucking rules .... Pos

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

Crysis
February 7th 2012

come spend a day up here

this is a seminal finnish dm release

February 7th 2012

my bandmate is finnish and he kept telling me that the name meant some kind of program teenagers have to go through in finland (hes tried to explain it to me before but i still dont get it)

apparently the literal translation is "confirmation class" which is a really strange name for a death metal band

Crysis
February 7th 2012

sounds like a metalcore band

Relinquished