Kate Bush
Hounds of Love

by Beachcoma USER (9 Reviews)
February 6th, 2012 | 18 replies | 2,089 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Kate Bush's most mature and recognizable release to date.

I’ve always given Kate Bush credit for what she has accomplished over the years. She’s written a staggering 10 studio albums, and explored numerous of genres within those releases. Her genres have ranged from Art Rock to Baroque styled Pop to straight up Alternative. She’s definitely a creative person when it comes to experimentation and has rarely been coded as a person to disappoint. Alongside with ‘Hounds of Love’, the album in no shape or form disappoints. I would consider it Kate Bush’s most mature and finest release to date.

Her music is simply magnificent. They range from quick poppy tunes, to carefully arranged, meaningful yet highly depressing ones. I would deem her music as accessible, with hardly any rough spots. With most of her writings done nothing but her amazing voice, a vibrant piano, and a wide variety of strings it would definitely entail that you probably won’t find anything too unobtainable. ‘Hounds of Love’ is yet another Kate Bush album that can appeal to anyone.

The main reason why Hounds of Love is so incredible is the songwriting created by Kate Bush, and the overall instrumentation/lyricism. Together, they are a perfect match, and are easily visible. Kate Bush really knows something about making lyrics that are both meaningful and lovely. They are the type that pierce your skin, and leave you feeling penetrated. Let’s not forget her amazing musicianship, which is robust in ‘Hounds of Love’. All the instruments create brilliant sheets of atmosphere, and are all just simply enjoyable to listen to.

Her strongest tracks on Hounds of Love range from ‘Cloudbusting’, a beautiful song driven by a Violin string arrangement with the addition of Bush’s highly emotional vocals, ‘The Big Sky’, a more fun and rather uplifting tune, ‘Jig of Life’, which is highly Folk influenced, added onto ridiculous string and woodwind instrumentation, and ‘Hello Earth’, a 6 minute emotional draining epic.

In regards, ‘Hounds of Love’ is most certainly one of Kate Bush’s most brilliant. There are no flaws, or awkward moments that need urgent help whatsoever. Kate Bush is definitely an artist that seriously knows what she is doing musically, lyrically, and instrumentally. With those three combined, they have circled the album in its entirety. Don’t miss out on ‘Hounds of Love’, because it’s a definite essential.