Megadeth
Rust in Peace

by ashpoodle USER (5 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2012 | 50 replies | 3,333 views

Release Date: 1990 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Feel the thrash. Feel the metal. Yet in albums like these, it's the metal that feels you.

The metal.

The metal is not a graspable concept for many people. Those that are bordering at the age of 13 and under, usually cannot fathom how such a violent genre of music can be accepted and embraced far and wide by such a sheer number of people. Yet it can.
The metal is not something you can see, nor can you touch it, smell it or taste it. Because it’s the metal that sees you, touches you, smells you and tastes you. As Ollivander once said, and you can quote me on this

"It’s the wand that chooses the wizard, Mr. Potter. "

This same rule applies to the metal. If you cannot and do not know, then you never will. It is not something you can learn, schools can’t teach you this. Your parents can’t teach you this. The only thing that can and will teach you this is none other than the metal itself.
Often, when I am walking down the street rocking out to Kreator, people recognize me and ask me the same repetitive question.

”Dude, what is the metal?”
“Dude what is the thrash?”

These terms are both very delicate things and should not be treated lightly by those that do not care for either of them. Fox News has covered certain things up, yet leaks of people fainting, being hospitalized and having nervous breakdowns after trying to embrace the metal. If it doesn’t choose you, then you better be careful playing with fire, because watch it, you just might get burned.
The thrash, similar to the metal, is not something that one can choose similarly to the way they can choose a pathway, a career as such. Yet if it finds you, it doesn’t just find you. It wraps you in its expansive tentacles and squeezes you tight, leaving you with the greatest sensation one can ever feel. It’s called feeling the metal. When the chosen ones gets flicked on like a switch, usually occurring at moments when the slightest sliver of opportunity to listen to bands like Megadeth, it engulfs their body like a flame. Limbs start quivering until they succumb to the sheer force behind the metal. Then the need for punching walls occur. Ripping items in half. Destroying shelf after shelf of books. This all happens because thrash is like a drug, once it takes you, you cannot be reclaimed. But by god, this is perhaps the greatest thing that could ever happen to a single individual. Thrash is spreading. Metal is spreading. Don’t let it die. When we try and cull the rock from our bodies, it turns on us, makes like Progmaster, we stop listening to the real thrash and begin indulging ourselves in things we once used to laugh about.
This cannot continue to happen.

So by the time I saw the word Megadeth you will have read 475 words of utter nonsense – to some maybe, yet to others it may be paragraphs of sheer brilliance. No doubt by know you are asking yourself, “so how the *** does Megadeth fit into this? They don’t play like Slayer at 500bpm with blast beats that can blow off hair via headphones. So then what is this all about?”

Sometimes, the metal doesn’t only get triggered from incredibly brisk music. Sometimes it gets flicked on, because we know what we’re listening to thrashy as hell, even though in essence it isn’t.

Kate Bush does this.
Rush does this.
King Crimson does this.

Yet Megadeth are part of the thrash genre, and although not surpassing any great speeds or blast beats, they do manage to create possibly –technically- the greatest thrash album ever.
This album is based very sharply on melodies and solos, and that is where Friedman and Mustaine come into play. And oh do they shred and slay as much as and more than any other band of similar taste. The collective solos on Poison Was the Cure, Lucretia and Tornado of Souls are enough to invoke the metal alone. The brutal thrash involved in these solos is over-whelming. At first it’s hard to discover, yet as your appreciation for Rust in Peace increases, so does the realization – this is m/ as ***. Mustaine does a superb job of not ***ing up the rhythm sections, which are, disregarding most I have said, pretty damn fast.
Dave mustaines singing is commonly complained about by little bitches who cannot feel the thrash in this album but really they do not know what they are talking about SO DON’T PAY ANY ATTENTIONT TO THEM. His voice fits this album, the feel the thrash the mood (one about computers and enticing *** like that) and compliments the other instruments perfectly.
The bass and the drums both rule too. I don’t mean just Metallica/Anthrax rule I mean like slayer and beyond rule. Sometimes you can hear the bass do it’s own thing which really is a very defining feature when comparing this album to the other albums – (although Slayer’s constant chants of SATAN SATAN are quite similar in essence)

This album has it all. It has the metal. It has the thrash. It has the solos, the musicianship and the song-writing to make it all stick together.
Albums like this make us realise that metal won’t die.
But guys lets try and let it thrive.

4.6

ashpoodle
February 2nd 2012

sorry about the majority of good grammar (caps wise and commas wise) microsoft word held me on a bit of a leash here.

my lunar strain review has been labelled with delete please delete please so hopefully someone will delete it and in hindsight it did kinda suck.
hopefully with this album people can relate to the 'metal' and i kinda take a while to get to my point but with this album you can take as long as you want cos its so good and m/

ValeriusTheImmortal

lol right on man...The Riddle of Steel

ValeriusTheImmortal
February 2nd 2012

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

ashpoodle
February 2nd 2012

thanks man yeah the metal is strong with this one

February 2nd 2012

'These terms are both very delicate things and should not be treated lightly by those that do not care for either of them. Fox News has covered certain things up, yet leaks of people fainting, being hospitalized and having nervous breakdowns after trying to embrace the metal.'

fix that

besides that the usual m/ comes from ths review

February 2nd 2012

fucking sweet fuck yea cool fuckin right on

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

What KILLLLL said.

5 it

TheNotrap

February 2nd 2012

the dude in your pic looks like the guy from lord of the rings a lot

DeadBeat

February 2nd 2012

not like all the other rust in peace reviews though

and nobody likes anthrax as much as these guys though

renegadestrings

this review is pos

Album's pretty good

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

evilford
February 2nd 2012

interesting review. good points.

Great album. It's definitely Megadeth's best in my eyes. An argument could be made for greatest thrash album of all time. but I think there are a few others that would edge it out.

Digging: Demilich - 20th Adversary of Emptiness

hell yeah f' yeah

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

February 2nd 2012

yeah i mean theres plenty of other lesser known thrash bands that have awesome releases.
this is the most accessible

and the best