Aakon Keetreh
Dans La Foret

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
February 1st, 2012 | 30 replies | 3,169 views

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This song is from the album Music By Which to Climb Into A Hot Bath, Slit Your Wrists and Watch the Water Turn Crimson As You Drift Into Death.

If you're looking to kill yourself tonight or sometime very soon I'd recommend using Aäkon Këëtrëh's "Dans La Forêt's" as the accompanying soundtrack to your tragic demise. This is some seriously depressing music made by Lord Aäkon Këëtrëh, a famed member of the French underground movement "Les legions noires". Playing death metal and black metal with bands like Chapel of Ghouls and Belkètre, Aäkon Këëtrëh is nothing like it's predecessors, instead, opting for a more melodic, downtrodden excursion into dark ambience. It's of interesting note that although their sound is described as dark ambient, "Dans La Forêt's uses no synthesizer to create their harrowing music. All that is used here is two guitars with a few vocal parts thrown in randomly.

"Dans La Forêt's" is a demo from 1996 so the sound quality is kind of raw and disheveled with a lot of distortion providing white noise in the background. The distortion is not a bad thing though. It acts in a symbiotic way with the dual guitars as if it's just another instrument being layered and recorded. It's part of the music's charm really. The demo consists of eight tracks that range from a minute twenty to almost five minutes. Closing in at twenty two minutes "Dans La Forêt's is a relatively brief listen that should please the stingiest of music critics that are looking to get into this kind of music. The songwriting on "Dans La Forêt's" is performed in minimalist fashion where the driving force of the demo is found in the shape of sharp, discordant melodies. The sound is simultaneously ugly and beautiful. The ugliness lies in the distortion, suffocating production values and the layering of guitars that on one hand sound terrible yet on the other hand sound incredibly alluring. The beauty of the music lies in the two wailing guitars who construct the most somber of passages. The melancholy notes just begin to crush your self-esteem into nothingness, they grind your bones into dust and draw running streams of tears from your eyes. The hopeless feelings I get from listening to this is pretty remarkable. Music that makes you genuinely feel like a worthless piece of *** is held in the highest of regards by me. Take that how you want.

The base sound is very simple and one dimensional yet incredibly deep and hard-hitting. Aäkon Këëtrëh much like Paysage d Hiver have mastered the art of minimalism. The low budget quality music presented here carries lot of heft, it begins to seep into your pores instantly and affect your mental state, your general thought process and behavioral patterns. I was never the happiest guy on the planet but this demo makes me want to slit my throat in a bathtub. Goodbye friends, family, and world I am off to go die. See you on the other side. Or not because I'm probably going to hell. God doesn't like quitters. Fellow misanthropists, miscreants, lepers and "those guys" should give this a run if they haven't already. Now F.O.A.D to the impenetrable sadness that will consume your soul.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

Ire
January 31st 2012

i thought you hated good bm wtf

January 31st 2012

glorious review, band, and album

pos'd hard

Digging: Deniro Farrar - The Patriarch II

January 31st 2012

I thought about reviewing this once. Awesome demo.

January 31st 2012

SHHHHHHH don't let that sneak out into the mainstream fields of Whiterun. Keep the front going. It'll help me stay under the radar.

January 31st 2012

I slit my throat last night in front of the mirror but I woke up this morning next to a pencil and a shitty radio jam. I must be Bill Murray.

DeafMetal
January 31st 2012

nice review man, one of my favorite dark ambient records

Crysis

Thanks.

Yeah, get it.

AlmostHawk
January 31st 2012

angel is that your true rating of it

January 31st 2012

I'm on board for a blackened coup.

January 31st 2012

No, it's my trve rating.

AlmostHawk

then 5 it

Ire

racists > stan

January 31st 2012

"I slit my throat last night in front of the mirror but I woke up this morning next to a pencil and a shitty radio jam. I must be Bill Murray"

Groundhog Day

"Sputnik needs a Blazebirth/Les Legion takeover. Although we're technically out in the open and I should not be discussing my future plans here, let's fuck this site up. Mostly the indie part of this community, screw those douchebags. Reviews/lists/ starting internet battles, etc. Let's krieg this mother up."

Bro you're talking to the captain, like I said before mx tabs starts as a metal community and so did this extension of the site, if anyone is down, look no further, i've been contr lately hard

January 31st 2012

I don't know, Stan's a pretty cool dude.

This is a good start, maybe this will evolve into my dream scenario of an occultic, debaucherous, sacrilegious, secret society taking place in an an old Spanish house in St Augustine.