Vali
Forlatt

by DeadBeat USER (4 Reviews)
January 29th, 2012 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "A mystical journey through northern landscapes"

There is something uniquely captivating about Vali’s sound, a beauty that cannot be explained through words. Vali is nature music, intimate Neofolk, a sonic caress. Two delicate guitars weave a forest of notes that mystically wraps the listener and provides a strong and seductive atmosphere of purity and serenity. Sometimes, the guitars are supported by an accompaniment of cello, violin, flute and piano which creates a melancholic charm around the music. One thing is certain though, most will get that Forlatt has the ability to calm, as the album itself is very calm in its entirety.

Everything here is instrumental. The songs are short and yet full of variation in the multi-layered melodies, never getting monotonous. Vali’s compositions move with calm patience, letting each arpeggio descend and cello ache organically. Et Ensomt Minne, for example, is probably among the best Neofolk songs ever written and its heartbreaking atmosphere and flowing melodies are just remarkable.

The production quality is also sublime, as we can perfectly hear every note and nuance of finger shift. Also, the guitar work is pretty damn good and there are no weak songs on this album. Even Shumringens Omfavn, which is the shortest song (00:50), serves as a transition between two longer tracks, but does not disappoint. The song Her Ute I Moerket in particular, subtly fading various instruments in and out, creates an effect that is as wonderful and soothing as the sensation of drowsing.

I would say the main fault of this record is being short. However, this is a stunning half hour of brilliance as the music manages to paint charming pictures in my mind’s eye. It summons visions of moorlands, meadows, rivers, creeks, snow-covered pine forests and many other natural landscapes. By the end of the last song, one feels like it shouldn’t have ended, like it would have been perfect if it had 15-20 more minutes to make us feel completely rewarded.

Nothing about Forlatt can be called pretentious, overwrought or overly overwhelming, as Vali’s performance holds a power that is resonant and deep. There are some really great guitar lines and fingerpicking patterns. After hearing songs drifting from the cold, northern snowy barrens, to the safety of a lifeful forest, it is also safe to say that this is an excellent, memorable album.

Recommended Tracks: