Howard Shore
The Lord of the Rings: Complete Trilogy

by plugged my butthole USER (21 Reviews)
January 28th, 2012 | 36 replies | 4,385 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Gollum. Frodo. Samwise. Gandalf. Aragorn. Merry. Pippin. Legolas. Gimli. Boromir. Take the ring... and destroy it.

First and foremost, it is of extravagant importance that I explain to you the nature of movies, and the subsequent followings they ascertain. There are those, who after watching a range of films at the same high quality portrayed in the Lord of the Rings, merely dismiss everything they have seen and continue about everyday life, not caring they have the knowledge to stop the imminent attack on ‘Middle-Earth’ (this is most likely referring to the Caribbean, as that is located near the centre of our world.) We call these despicable beings ‘non-believers.’ Then there are some whom, after witnessing Lord of the Rings, just cannot stop reliving it, over and over again, wishing that Aragorn and the crew were real. (Even though they are real, nowadays human minds are so narrow they can’t even take in that there are mythical creatures hiding in the West Indies.)They are the kind who buy box sets from their local DVD market for over one hundred dollars, simply because they now cannot live without Frodo, Gollum and the rest of the gang. They guzzle collectibles like cocaine. These heroic men -and women- are rejoiced as saviours, in elvish tongue. It is in the nature of these ‘saviours’ to instantly be obliged to add another addition to their collection of Lord of the Rings material – the complete soundtrack.

While non-believers may still get the work by Howard Shore, simply because it is a masterpiece to whoevers ears it blesses, they will not play it at one in the evening, wearing nothing but underpants and a battle-helmet, shrieking gruesome war-cries as prominently cited in a saviours behavioural instinct. Either Howard Shore adored the novels by J.R.R Tolkien, or he was getting paid a ridiculous amount, as the uncanny brilliance of this soundtrack is one that is not matched by any other film score. Whilst listening to this album –better appreciated if you are a saviour- the nostalgic memories that come pouring out from just one full listen (which can take a while seeing as it is 57 songs in its entirety) is phenomenal. You can feel yourself flying merrily over the Shire when the piece ‘Concerning Hobbits,’ begins its round, and the fear that drives a dagger through your heart when listening to ‘Minas Morgul,’ is striking. A beautiful movie has to be accompanied by a beautiful soundtrack, and Howard Shore’s masterpiece would surpass anyone’s expectations.

Notice the use of the term ‘masterpiece’ in the previous entry? It is of upmost importance that an adjective so vociferous is used to describe this record. However, rest assured that there is not a single word in the elvish dictionary (and definitely none in the English version) that can quite recapture the value of this soundtrack that the ears can. The musicianship is one that will be talked about for ages to come by both saviours and those pesky non-believers. String sections are obviously prominent, and nearly always bring a tear to the listeners eye (except of course in the dark and evil tracks, but they may too bring out the waterworks just from sheer terror). There are many guest appearances from ‘saviours’ who attempt to imitate the evlish tongue, a laughable attempt, but one that shows the determination from director and musician alike, to make the movie fulfil as much as Tolkien’s vision as possible. Then of course there is the master instrument, the one that creates such an essence, an aura, that not even a Uruk-Hai combined with an Ent using the ‘Sting’ could dare try and shatter it. Of course, it is the Pan Flute (capitals are required to do it justice). Wherever it appears, a subtle lull comes into play that can unintentionally force even a vicious ring-wraith to ponder about the meaning of life.
‘A wizard is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.’

‘The thieves. The thieves. The filthy little thieves. Where is it? Where is it? They stole it from us. My precious. Curse them. We hates them. It’s ours, it is, and we wants it.’

‘What are we holding onto, Sam?’
‘That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.’

Those unforgettable moments in the movie are relived with the music. J.R.R Tolkiens world lives on with a fire inside – one that has been created by both Peter Jackson and Howard Shore. The Complete Soundtrack to the Lord of the Rings brings out emotions we never believed we could have felt whilst watching the demise of Middle-Earth. Our hatred for Gollum’s betrayal reaches a whole new leve, yet so does our pity for the hapless creature.
This is a masterpiece. Meisterwerk. ت*فة. Αριστούργημα. obra maestra.

Originally written by Sir Bennight, son of Colenight