Queensryche
Operation: Mindcrime

by dannyboy89 USER (31 Reviews)
January 28th, 2012 | 15 replies | 2,251 views

Release Date: 1988 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The essential Queensryche album. If you have not heard this, and you say you're a prog fan, you haven't lived.

Having listened to every Queensryche LP up to Hear in the Now Frontier, this album has a lot of meaning to me. While it is true that Empire, Rage for Order, The Warning, Promised Land and the album already mentioned at the beginning all are very good in my opinion, this record has perhaps the most amount of memorable songs.

Originating as The Mob, and having released 2 LPs (neither of which reached sales), Queensryche finally made the move to make an album that was both musically and conceptually ambitious, while at the same time making it appealing to major audiences. Thus this record was made. Impeccably produced, this record is more than just the story of Nikki and his recollections of work as a hired assasin. It's also a reference to many subjects that often are missed upon first listen.

The personnel:

Geoff Tate: Vocals
Chris DeGarmo: Lead Guitar
Eddie Jackson: Bass
Michael Wilton: Rythm Guitar
Scott Rockenfield: Drums

The album opens up with "I Remember Now" an intro that is not neccesary listening unless you want the whole shebang. "Anarchy-X is yet another storyline piece, as such it is not required listening. The album truly gets in gear with "Revolution Calling", an epic performance by the band which reveals their strenghts well. Tate does a fine job of being a singer/storyteller here.

The title track is brilliant as well, and is brilliantly executed. "Speak" has some of De Garmo's best guitar work, and as such it is an essential, if often overlooked, Queensryche track. The same goes for "Spreading the Disease", a song about Suite Sister Mary which at the same time points to major international issues. Tate really shines as a vocalist here.

There are many other tracks here, but I'll just go ahead and point to the favorites of this part of the record: "Suite Sister Mary", easily the darkest song on the record, which features creepy, dramatic voiceovers; "Breaking the Silence", which is just a plainly epic song; "I Don't Believe in Love", possibly the best known song on the record, and one of their biggest hits; and the epic, just incredibly awesome "Eyes of a Stranger", which leads into Nikki remembering who he is, thus starting the record again.

In terms of musicianship, Tate is the obvious standout. His soaring vocals are epic, and he dominates the stage in a fashion that few ever accomplish. DeGarmo's guitar tone and solos make the perfect counterpart to this. There are better drummers than Rockenfield, but he still does a fine job of making the songs hit your guts. All in all, this is a very well made album, and one which, to me, just grows with each listen.

Judas Priest PainkillerSade Love Deluxe
Sade Stronger Than PrideSade Promise
Sade Diamond LifeSeal Commitment

TheNotrap
January 28th 2012

The best prog metal album ever released.

Digging: Savage Grace - Master Of Disguise

AllGabrielsAreGlass
January 28th 2012

A poor review, Im sorry to say dude. It's just to brief and gives me little to no idea what Im about to listen to, you need to go into far, far more detail than you did here.

iFghtffyrdmns
January 28th 2012

fuck off dannyboy now danny boy is stuck in my head

11953 Comments

@ AllGabriels: don't worry dude, I'll improve it. I'm still new to this whole reviewing biz.

MO

albums pretty good

11953 Comments

No spamming please. Either you write what you liked, or what you disliked. Anything else, unrelated to the discussion, is spam.

theacademy

great record

Digging: Kimbra - The Golden Echo

macadoolahicky
January 28th 2012

Too short. I haven't heard the album before and I still know far too little about it.

11953 Comments

@ macadoolahicky: is it better now??

Parallels
January 28th 2012

I really can't enjoy this album even after listening to this several times, although Empire is one of my favorite albums and I like Rage for Order.

11953 Comments

@ Sonicspeed: To each his own, I guess. Both those albums are great on their own right BTW.

DarthMann
January 28th 2012

i love the enthusiasm new users have to the reviewing thing lol

11953 Comments

I kinda regret having reviewed this. Nevertheless, we all have to start somewhere. I'm not as good as Nag or Pedro, but I try my best.

conesmoke
April 17th 2013

I love this album. Every song is brilliant and a lot of them give me chills, It always makes me laugh too:
"ring ring... ring ring... MINDCRIME."

"kill mary?"

The obvious highlights for me are spreading the disease, speak and the needle lies.

m/m/