Crosses
EP II

by Rowan5215 USER (18 Reviews)
January 26th, 2012 | 39 replies | 15,008 views

Review Summary: Crosses' EP II is less cohesive than the first, featuring two of the best things they've done plus three rather average tracks.

For those who missed this little side project, it is the collaboration of Chino Moreno of Deftones and Team Sleep, Shaun Lopez, guitarist of Far, and Scott Chuck. Their music basically consists of Chino's soothing vocals over an atmospheric landscape of basic electronics, Shaun's guitar and some occasional funky bass. In other words, goodness. Their second EP certainly had a lot to live up to following the epicness of the first, so can Crosses actually live up to the hype?

Well, yes and no. Crosses' EP II is a rather up-and-down deal. To start off with the good, it contains two of the best things either musician has done to date: Prurient and Telepathy. The former was wisely the first song anyone heard from this EP - featuring some of Chino's best vocal work, some good lyrics and a catchy melody, it's a real winner. As for the latter, it features a guest musician laying down some of the funkiest basslines ever created. Seriously, they are freaking awesome. Chuck, Lopez and Chino are also on top form, making for one hell of a song.

Now down to the bad. Well, not so much bad as incessantly average. The other three tracks on this release are all quite average, tending to drag a bit without having much going for them. None of them are actually skippable (though Frontier seems that way at first, it's a grower) but nor do they live up to either the other tracks and/or the previous EP. It's a bit of a disappointment really.

So what about the individual components of the album? Well of course, Chino's vocals are as sensual as ever, blending in with the electronics better than they ever did against Deftones' occasionally over-harsh instruments. Shaun Lopez is a very respectable guitarist; after Far broke up (again) he appears to have doubled his capacity as a musician. And as mentioned above, a guest musician comes in to lay down the funkalicious bass on Telepathy, turning it into a pure barrel of smooth, creamy goodness. None of the individual components found on EP II can be faulted; it's the songwriting which falters on this release.

So to conclude, EP II is neither an improvement nor a step backwards from EP I. If you merged the best parts of the EP's together, you'd get a consistent release which also features several standout tracks. Let's hope that Crosses' next release does this, keeping the cohesiveness of the first EP as well as reaching to the lofty heights of the second, without maintaining its unfortunate falls.

Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties We Don't Have Each OtherKeaton Henson Romantic Works
Passenger (UK) WhispersCynic Kindly Bent to Free Us
The Receiving End of Sirens Between the Heart and the Synapse...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead Tao of the Dead Part III

Is this a trick?

Rowan5215
January 25th 2012

Dammit, cross symbol gets replaced with that diamond shit. Hold on, I'll fix that.

Digging: Dot Hacker - How's Your Process? (Work)

Rowan5215
January 25th 2012

Uh, are you slightly high?

Eclecticist
January 25th 2012

I would say that the only truly average tracks are "Prurien†" and "1987" although "Prurien†" is still enjoyable, so I am satisfied in giving this EP a 4/5.

Relinquished
January 25th 2012

is that a sad dog in the album art?

lmao

SCREAMorphine
January 26th 2012

Nice review, need to check this out.
Loved the first EP

IAmHollywood
January 26th 2012

any blogs I should be looking at to find it?

January 26th 2012

I heard it's available on Megaupload.

IAmHollywood

hurr durr trollface.jpg

go back to 9gag

January 26th 2012

How dare you insult Nigel Thornberry, pre-eminent authority on wildlife?

Timmons
January 26th 2012

yes! completely forgot this came out. love it

Pigwise41
January 26th 2012

Prurient is fucking great. Reminds me of some Jesu.

fish.

less cohesive?
I'd say it's actually more so. it flows better whereas EP 1 seemed more like a collection of completely separate songs

Digging: Septicflesh - Communion

Moraff
January 26th 2012

i like this a lot. the first 3 tracks are def my favorite but they are all pretty sweet. the basslines in telepathy are awesome

dcha
January 26th 2012

Okay please just release the new Team Sleep now.

January 26th 2012

Liking this more than the first one

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

TheVoiceAndTheSnake
January 26th 2012

Hated their first EP. What's new with this one?

fish.
January 26th 2012

Liking this less than the first one.

@TheVoiceAndTheSnake, I'd say it's darker, and there's more focus on bringing the music together. By that I mean that I got the feeling from the first one that really it was just a vehicle for a few large, catchy choruses. Those are toned down a little here. Apart from that, it's not incredibly different

jrowa001

cool username Rowan

JWT155
January 26th 2012

Band rules, love Chino's voice.