As I Lay Dying
Decas

by DieDead USER (6 Reviews)
January 25th, 2012 | 35 replies | 7,605 views

Review Summary: Some might find this Ep Pointless and some might love it.

Decas was released as a "anniversary of being a band and a gift to their fans for their support over the years." It has three new songs, four covers, a Re-Recorded Medley, and four Dubstep re-mixes.

The three new songs are great. Its nothing too new from them. It has the same guitar tone and sounds like they could be on the Powerless Rise. But these three songs are great, very diverse. Paralyzed is the typical As I Lay Dying structured song. Melodic and heavy verse with cleans in the chorus, no breakdown(Which is good) and a solo. It has the regular balance of Melody, and heaviness. chugging, melodic chorus and some cool delay effects. Has a great solo they didn't end up using on the Powerless Rise. From Shapeless To Breakable is the brutal song on this EP. All screaming, heavy chord and palm muted riffs, some chugging in the chorus and tremolo picking. With Moving Forward they do the oppisite of the last song. Its more melodic than they usually are. Starts off with druming, and some noisy guitar sounds. Does the catchy chorus riffs, then right into the clean singing, and melodic verse riff with Tim screaming. Then repeats a regular song structure. Has a pretty great catchy solo. Of course you can expect the normal great lyrics from Tim throughout these songs.

The covers are great and are fun to listen to. The Slayer and Descendents covers are solid, a good listen nothing special. But the Electric Eye is great just as good as the original.

The re-recorded medley has some songs from the debut put together. They do it so good, the structure and the lyrics are put together great.

Now the really bad thing about this EP. The dubstep re-mixes. These just sound forced and boring. Keep in mind that i am not much of a dubstep fan, so you may like them.

Zao The Splinter Shards the Birth of SeparationEarth Crisis Destroy the Machines
Trivium AscendancyDark Tranquillity Skydancer
Whiplash Ticket to Mayhem
2.9
good

Deviant.
January 25th 2012

The three new songs are way exceptional

Sup Wayne's World

I like dubstep
Keep in mind that i am not much of a dubstep fan

Hmmmm

If you like dubstep but to me they sound horrible.

This is not a sentence. This is just one example, there's a whole bunch of discrepancies here

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

TomArnoldsArmpit

party on, garth.

botb

i like to play

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

taxidermist
January 25th 2012

I read four Dubstep re-mixes and fucking laughed, idk why. I used to really like this band, but haven't payed attention since Shadows Are Security.

sniper
January 25th 2012

then it's a good thing you didn't neg because you're supposed to read reviews before you do that.

Deviant.
January 25th 2012

Now that was a snide remark

January 25th 2012

I thought this album was a failure.

Pos because I never neg.

Digging: Gamma Ray - Empire of the Undead

Emim

I have no such qualms.

neg.

J0ckstrapsFTW
January 25th 2012

ASnideRemark is right the dubstep sucks ass and Paralyzed is the only good track.

AfterTheBreakdown
January 25th 2012

Paralyzed is the best here.

theashesfromautumn01
January 25th 2012

the covers aren't too bad and the re recorded track was alright. track 2 is pretty good as well.

Clamface

Fucking awful review

twlichty
January 25th 2012

oh god dubstep remixes of as i lay dying.......

Digging: Lusine - A Certain Distance

bloozclooz
January 25th 2012

i like dubstep too perhaps we should meet up and listen to some dubstep i really like skrillex but maybe you haven't heard of him don't worry i'll burn you a CD of his stuff i got off of limewire he's really cool bro you'll love those DROPS

DieDead
January 25th 2012

Well i tried to make the review some what better.

ianjulian

re-mixes. boring.

MarkTheDead
March 1st 2012

I hate the remixes, but I'm no fan of that trendy culture of remixes, new songs were outstanding, covers were decent. = 3.5

Fluttertrank
March 1st 2012

Yeah i loved all the new songs.

Digging: Xanthochroid - Blessed He With Boils