Blood
Impulse to Destroy

by hyperi0n STAFF
January 24th, 2012 | 40 replies | 2,275 views

Release Date: 1989 | Tracklist

Review Summary: "We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw. Does that sound "fine"?"

Formed in Germany all the way back in 1986, Blood essentially do just about everything right you could possibly do with deathgrind. Starting out as a noisecore band with little direction, they eventually began more serious writing which would eventually lead up their debut full length Impulse to Destroy. While their third full-length, O Agios Pethane, is one of the best grind albums ever recorded, from a completely subjective standpoint I think I enjoy Impulse to Destroy more. Why? Well essentially because Blood's Impulse to Destroy contains one of sickest and most twisted vocal performances ever put on tape.

Imagine if you can, being trapped inside a church made completely of rotting flesh and bones being administered a sermon by the corporeal manifestation of filth himself who occasionally shrieks in glee as he rips the innards from the subjects of his oratorical torture. As ***ed up as it sounds, this is pretty much what you should expect from the second the album starts until the last maniacal screech of joy emits from the ending notes (I guess you can call them that). The album is a complete ***ing mess. The production is putrid, thick, and disgusting. The guitars are poorly tuned and sloppy. The drumming is loose and all over the place. But that's what makes is so ***ing good.

Blood doesn't give a rat *** about polish or sheen. There's not even the slightest hint at pussy tech bull*** anywhere near this record. The purpose of Impulse to Destroy even existing is to have the most repulsive 34 minutes of pure deathgrind hell has ever heard. While later records would come to perfect this formula into something that is technically better than what Impulse to Destroy is, the character and nauseating atmosphere of Impulse to Destroy was never really retread, umm, ever. Slap this in your stereo and be prepared to *** your brains out, because that’s the only proper reaction this record should ever be met with. Enjoy.

Squarepusher Music For RobotsMassacre Back from Beyond
Morbus Chron SwevenPatten ESTOILE NAIANT
Com Truise Wave 1Oneohtrix Point Never Zones Without People

January 24th 2012

writing on "impulse" is the best. sloppy review for a disgusting album. cheers

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

20394 Comments

pos'd

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

January 24th 2012

lol, idk this album is rather poor to me but the vocals and overall feel of it is kind of ridiculous

January 24th 2012

worth a listen anyway, their next album is better imo

January 24th 2012

o agios pethane is their best but this is just as awesome for different reasons

January 24th 2012

I like them about equally, but yeah, this is awesome in a different way.

January 24th 2012

i can see why some would think it's awesome - its sloppy as hell idgaf, ridiculous vocals grind. if you like that, this is pretty damn cool. for the time period it probably was pretty damn awesome. hasn't held up as well over the years though, imo, lots better grind out there.

January 24th 2012

honestly when i want to listen to grind i've been jamming the hell out of this lately

Mewcopa0
January 24th 2012

I like this album better than O Agios Pethane as well. Nice review. Has a pos.

January 24th 2012

Sounds fucking frightening. Will listen to samples and see if this is for me.

Dope art.

MO
January 24th 2012

siiick album, good descriptions, this is really nasty deathgrind

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

Eclecticist

funky chicken? wtf

ghost neg

It was me.

January 24th 2012

not gonna contest it because honestly this isnt well written

that was kind of the point