Stevie Ray Vaughan
Texas Flood

by tcaino74 USER (6 Reviews)
January 23rd, 2012 | 11 replies

Release Date: 1983 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Texas Flood puts Stevie Ray Vaughn's uncanny talents on display for the masses. This album will attract everyone from the hardened bluesman and casual fans of guitar and the blues.

Texas flood is a tremendous achievement for a new artist at the time of its release. By now everyone knows about Stevie Ray Vaughn and his impact on modern music and his inspiration to many six string enthusiast. But at the time of Texas Flood’s release Vaughn was relatively unheard of except to the local club scene and a couple of high profile collaborations. To someone new to SRV and the blues the album’s sound is extremely polished. This lack of grit however does not take away from the emotion of SRV and his music. I also believe the polished sound lends itself well to Vaughn’s soulful voice, which sometimes goes unnoticed held up next to his guitar playing.
Now to what put Vaughn on the map his guitar. That is his claim to fame and probably is the reason you are even checking Vaughn out in the first place. Vaughn not only shows his playing ability but also his talent for arranging and choosing his songs. This mixture of songs is deeply entrenched in the tradition of the blues, but they also have a mainstream sound. “Love Struck Baby” and “Pride and Joy” are perfect examples of this radio friendly pop sound. The album as a whole contains a wide collection of soulful and grand guitar solos and Vaughn’s trademark blues turnarounds. Double trouble provides excellent rhythm to allow Vaughn to explore what sounds and feelings he can create with his guitar. The album also includes a few covers from Howling Wolf and Buddy Guy that help tie it to some classic blues players. For me the highlight of this album is the track “Lenny”. Vaughn’s use of solos and different tempos truly stands out among the other tracks.
Overall the album is easily accessible to new listeners and the non blues listening crowd. Though some the instrumental and heavier blues themed songs may be skipped over by the casual listener it is still a must listen for people who enjoy musician's at their best. Overall Vaughn shows that the modern generation still craves and respects the blues and can continue to add to the traditions.
[L]Stevie Ray Vaughn[L]

George Harrison Let It Roll: Songs by George HarrisonJames Taylor Greatest Hits
Pink Floyd A Foot in the DoorMerle Haggard Working in Tennessee
Tom Waits Rain Dogs
4.4
stevie ray (5)

January 23rd 2012

Album rules hard. One of my favourite guitarists.

Digging: The Birthday Massacre - Superstition

Horsehammer
January 23rd 2012

i love blues, this album solidifies that statement

americanohno
January 23rd 2012

the man can play the fuckin' guitar behind his back:

seedofnothing

Steamie Ray Vaughan A Little Bit of Rattlesnake

JamieTwort

SRV rules.

johnnyblaze
January 23rd 2012

one of those guitar players who's damn near impossible to imitate. the guy could melt your face off with a half drunk, off-the-cuff solo.

MO

yea soooo good

TRMshadow
January 23rd 2012

I just picked this up and have yet to listen to it. I remember listening to it way back when, when I used to play guitar (oh, what a child I was). Hopefully the whole album is as good as my memories lead me to believe.

Tyrannic
January 23rd 2012

"Now to what put Vaughn on the map his guitar."

needs some kind of punctuation. in fact, there are a lot of sentences that could use commas for better flow. that, and the paragraphs need an extra space for easier reading. good job though.

BigBlob
January 24th 2012

I just put 11 gauge strings on my Fender so I can get closer to SRV's sound. My fingers are going to get ripped to shreds.

Digging: Body Count - Manslaughter

rockandmetaljunkie
June 14th 2013

This is sex for the ears.