Foxy Shazam
The Church of Rock and Roll

by Sam McPherson USER (9 Reviews)
January 20th, 2012 | 54 replies

Review Summary: This album marks a shift in gears for Foxy, from the more manic energy of their past albums to something more quietly anthemic.

Foxy Shazam is a band constantly reinventing itself. Their constantly evolving style is particularly polarizing amongst fans, especially considering the fact that the band initially appealed to post-hardcore fans before slowly shifting in a popper, glam rock direction. The Church of Rock and Roll is the latest step on that ladder. And while it's less pop-oriented than their 2010 self-titled album, some might be surprised by just how subdued it is. The songs on this album are, for the most part, devoid of the manic energy that Foxy Shazam has been known for. That energy has been replaced by a new, slow, anthemic Foxy. And, surprisingly, it works.

"Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll," is a bold statement to begin the album. "Your music sucks including us / It's time we cleared our name," frontman Eric Nally sings on the track, promising yet another dramatic sonic change. "All you suckers are a flock of sheep / I'll be your shepherd, follow me." It's the best track on the album, though with a running time of 2:09, it's way too short. "I Like It," "Holy Touch," and "Last Chance at Love," work along the similar, loud-and-fast vein that's reminiscent of bands like Queen and The Darkness (whose singer Justin Hawkins produced the album). Choirs of backup singers give these early tracks a big, operatic vibe, and they're the strongest on the album. After track 4, though, the album shifts gears.

"Forever Together" is a mid-tempo, subdued song that is a rather surprising number. After all, though we glanced this side of Foxy with the 2010 track "Evil Thoughts," the band has never been so quiet (the song is largely acoustic). Quiet, anthemic songs like "Forever Together" and "Wasted Feelings" dot the album's second half, and while they're fun, only "Wasted Feelings" reaches its real potential (and decibel level).

"The Temple" sees a return to the heavier elements that opened the album, though it's much darker in tone. "The Streets" is a funky, anthemic song that is slightly reminiscent of Three Dog Night. "Freedom" closes the album out with a Springsteen-style ode to, well, freedom.

The album makes great use of Alex Nauth, which is surprising considering that trumpet doesn't generally have a place in the style of rock the band is emulating. Pianist Sky White, on the other hand, is largely and regrettably absent from the tracks, and he's really only audible if you listen closely for him.

Those looking for more bombastic fare from Foxy will likely skip through the middle part of the album, but they'll be missing some solid tunes. Though it doesn't bear the same energy of previous albums, The Church of Rock and Roll is still an essential part of the Foxy catalogue. It introduces us, once again, to a new side of the multi-faceted band. It's a side that might not be as loud or as outrageous, but it's still a side that can make damn good music.

Best Tracks: Welcome to the Church of Rock and Roll, Holy Touch, Wasted Feelings

The Strokes Comedown MachineSting The Soul Cages
Captain Murphy DualityKool A.D. 51
TV on the Radio Read SilenceFiction Plane Everything Will Never Be OK
Zeppelin14 (3.5)
"Your music sucks including us, it's time we cleared our name."...

Eli EMERITUS (4)
"The Church of Rock and Roll" is yet another shockingly enjoyable record from a band whose evolution...

ILJ
January 20th 2012

It's pretty easy to tell that you rushed this review out as fast as possible, but it's still fairly decent considering.

DoubtGin

yea

zxlkho
January 20th 2012

This album has literally only been streaming for like 4 hours.

Athom
January 20th 2012

their old stuff was cool but that last album of theirs was terrible and figuring this continues in that direction, their singer should really stop fellating Freddie Mercury's decomposing dick.

Digging: Inigo Kennedy - Vaudeville

January 20th 2012

Do you think this album would marry me?

greg84
January 20th 2012

The album, aside from a couple of tracks, is nothing special. Definitely not as good as their self-titled. Bummer.

Digging: Lo-Pan - Colossus

January 20th 2012

I thought their self-titled dragged. This album is a lot more solid as a package.

greg84
January 20th 2012

Their self-titled had much more standout tracks than this. Not to mention it was way more addictive than this. After 3 spins, I really don't remember the majority of tracks on here.

January 20th 2012

Eh. Individual difference in opinion, I guess. I thought the tracks on their self-titled bled together a lot.

Aphrodisiac

Aphrodisiac
January 20th 2012

"that last album of theirs was terrible"
and there goes your credibility

Lakes.
January 20th 2012

pretty good. though not as spectacular as the last one :/

Digging: Arthur Russell - World of Echo

Tyrannic
January 20th 2012

is that supposed to be a hipster's personification of V on the cover? hair, moustache, vaguely homosexual...

InFiction
January 21st 2012

Their self-titled is better, as well as their best in my opinion, but this is still a solid album.

WhiteNoise
January 21st 2012

I've never heard of these guys before but I started listening to the stream and two songs in and I really dig it! What's their best album?

sniper

19049 Comments

introducing was pretty much the shit.

WhiteNoise
January 21st 2012

I'm gonna get on it, cheers.

DaveyBoy

20857 Comments

There are 2 camps when it comes to these guys Croc. I personally don't like their early stuff, but their self-titled was very, very good.

InFiction
January 21st 2012

Spot on, Davey. Although, I quite like The Flamingo Trigger too, in all its weirdness.

HenchmanOfSanta
January 21st 2012

If you hated their last album you'll hate this one too. I wish they would do more stuff like Introducing, because it's a nice middle ground between their current direction and their bizarre early days. Not to mention I just think songs like The Rocketeer are simply done better than what they do now. I'm probably done with new releases from this band.