Evergrey
Glorious Collision

good

by KJ USER (32 Reviews)
January 12th, 2012 | 11 replies | 3,962 views

Review Summary: Was Evergrey able to recapture the magic found in their early material? Unfortunately, the answer is still “no.”

Evergrey’s claim to fame was largely derived from their dark, atmospheric instrumentals that incorporated progressive elements to form a sound distinctive to them. Since the completion of their 4th record, In Search Of Truth, Evergrey has begun a steady directional change away from where it began; unfortunately, this change has been more destructive than beneficial. Further adding to an inevitable change in sound was the loss of bass-player Jari Kainulainen, guitarist Henrik Danhage, and drummer Jonas Ekdahl prior to this album. Never the less, Evergrey’s style has morphed so much that they hardly resemble the band many once called one of the “most underrated groups in prog metal.” Glorious Collision is in no way a bad record, but lacks the ability to shock the listener into feeling like they’re hearing something truly great.

My initial observation is how compressed the sound is in comparison to previous albums; it lacks the atmosphere of prime Evergrey, and the bombastic bass-heavy sound found on Torn. Flat is the word. General observation number two is how one-dimensional the drums specifically sound. Lastly, the guitar work and solos are okay but uninspired, as is nearly everything else. So why rate this a 3.0 then? There is one constant that keeps Glorious Collision afloat and achieving some degree of success- the passion in the vocals of Tom Englund and his uncompromising ability to create catchy vocal melodies. Frozen, The Disease, and I’m Drowning Alone all follow similar song structures and rely on the vocals for their worth; though I will say they're effective in a radio-friendly sense.

The highlight of the record is the final track,…And The Distance, which features Englund’s wife Carina on vocals; the two combine brilliantly to carry the listener on a ride that begins with a slow, somber intro and culminates with an epic finish to conclude both the song and album. Also note that included is a bonus track with an abbreviated version of the song with only Carina singing, that helps add additional character to the record. Glorious Collision has its moments but the songs seem to bleed together, which for me is a classic sign the album is missing something.

Have Evergrey lost the desire to be in the upper echelon of the genre again? I’m not sure. What we know with certainty is they’re releasing only “good” albums as opposed to albums consisting of carefully constructed pieces capable of dropping jaws and creating fans with one listen. With all this said, Glorious Collision is a “good” album that does have catchy songs and enjoyable melodies, but ultimately lacks relevance and is forgettable in the grand scheme of things; especially when compared to vintage Evergrey.

Recommended Tracks:
“Leave it Behind Us”
“Wrong”
“…And The Distance”

EDIT> 3/22/12, I still agree with all my points made in this review, but I upped it's rating to a 3.5 as it has grown on me considerably. Rock on bros.

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)

yea sup

Voivod

Good review, pos.

I liked this a bit more than you do, but yeah, this record is near-flat.

I believe that this happened due to the new lineup, their next one will be much better...

The chorus in "Frozen" is epic...

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

Siamois
January 12th 2012

Nice review. Always been intrigued by this band but I don't know which album I should try first. Any suggestions?

Voivod
January 12th 2012

Try The Inner Circle, you won't regret it.

January 12th 2012

Siamois I'd personally recommend In Search Of Truth or The Dark Discovery, but yeah The Inner Circle
definitely isn't bad either.

Thanks voi m/

seedofnothing

Good review pos.

Dreamflight

Nice one dude.

"The chorus in "Frozen" is epic..."

yes it is. First and last songs are also great, the rest is pretty meh.

January 12th 2012

yea FRozen is pretty good, maybe I'll add that to rec tracks.

Quickdrop
January 14th 2012

I'm Drowning Alone is catchy as fuck too

macadoolahicky
February 20th 2012

Damn fine review. I definitely enjoyed this more than you though. I thought they did rather well for starting off with a fresh batch of members.

February 20th 2012

Thanks Mac. Yeah I felt 3 was rather low to be honest, but I didn't want to 3.5 it either. Album was decent but I think the next one will be much stronger yet!