Kryptic Minds
Can't Sleep

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
January 9th, 2012 | 25 replies | 4,823 views

Review Summary: the perfect follow up to "One of Us", and quite an engaging dubstep album.

Kryptic Minds's version of dubstep in his debut album, though intelligently employed, was a bit too cautious. In my review, I described the album in terms of its cave-like ambience, how it not only exuded the sounds of the cave, but how the listening experience seemed rather fascinating until the listener realized that they were standing, alone, in a cave. Its minamilistic approach was admirable and even fairly effective, but it wasn't bold enough, not as engrossing as it should have been, and thus its lasting appeal was taken down a few notches. Nonetheless, when I learned that Kryptic Minds was making a follow up to One of Us, I had high hopes. Simon Shreeve (the producer of Kryptic Minds) clearly has skills, but some elaboration on his ideas would have been appreciated. Enter Can't Sleep, the fixer of previous problems.

Can't Sleep sees Kryptic Minds doing what he does best - dark, haunting beats. Kryptic Minds's beats have become restless, meaning (dare I say it) a certain amount of catchiness, while containing a dark atmosphere. His intelligent approach to dubstep still resides, but in a way that is slightly bassier, and also with a larger assortment of sounds than before. With all said notes being of positive consequence, the album has a fuller atmosphere than before, one that is akin to diving in a cave's pool rather than simply walking into a small, dry, empty cave. Every listener's experience will vary, of course, but it's still safe to say that this album is better executed than One Of Us, with a greater replay value.

With the addition of catchier, less drowsy beats, Can't Sleep is more memorable than its predecessor, but the ability to be memorable does not solely ensure its longevity. What's great about the album is that it's completely engrossing. Although his previous material did have an intriguing atmosphere, it wasn't necessarily consuming. This album is denser and darker, putting you right in the middle of the thick black with only a flash light. The funny thing is, although Simon has greatly improved his game, it still plays similarly, and that's excellent news for those that enjoyed his debut material - it sounds familiar, yet feels completely different. Can't Sleep is the perfect follow up to One of Us, and a superb dubstep album in its own right.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex

One of Us

January 9th 2012

Really, it's pretty awesome.

Rev
January 9th 2012

I just listened to the title track on youtube. holy god I can't stand the announcer throughout the track going "Oi! Exclusive behts, I'm extremely British and just can't let you enjoy the song"

Besides that, I dig this

Sweet!

Acanthus
January 9th 2012

Nice to see a review from you sir, I've been trying to find an album that I felt like reviewing but so far nothings really called out to me.

Digging: Symphony X - Paradise Lost

Tyrannic
January 9th 2012

this sounds like it'll take up a large chunk of my day. great review, very concise.

LG

God you suck Pizza

Ovrot

i love you pizza

Tyrannic
January 9th 2012

dude this album is so long

Deviant.

That damn cave metaphor

You keep saying this minimal approach to dubstep; nothing about this is minimal, unless you're comparing this to your typical brostep stuff (which you shouldn't be)

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

January 9th 2012

With one changed word I have addressed your issues. 'tis magic!

January 9th 2012

Gonna check this out. If it's the same style as Swarms and Clubroot and all that stuff (Dev don't hurt me if I'm wrong), then it should be most enjoyable.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Deviant.

It's not quite as "uplifting" as those guys. This is more Burial-ish atmosphere

God dammit....

clercqie
January 10th 2012

This works way better in a club environment, than on cd...
Nice review, though Pizza!

Digging: Amatorski - From Clay To Figures

DarthMann
January 10th 2012

man early autechre is good so is burial

nice review pizza ill check this album out

clercqie

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6Nvn8HFbA
Fuck yes!

Tyrael

20394 Comments

where's the womps I thought this was dubstep... jk

good review pizza!

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

scissorlocked
April 22nd 2012

listened to it once and it's really good

nice review pizza

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

May 22nd 2012

Definitely more attention grabbing than the first album. Definitely more deep and wobbly too.

May 22nd 2012