Evergrey
Solitude Dominance Tragedy

by KJ USER (32 Reviews)
January 6th, 2012 | 22 replies | 3,420 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: I expected Solitude Dominance Tragedy to be decent, but Evergrey torched my expectations and turned me into a fan.

A ways back I read a user on Sputnik comment in regard to Evergrey's The Inner Circle, "I haven't yet listened to their other albums, and fear my phobia of one-album-wonder bands whose other material lacks [in quality]." Having never heard their earlier stuff myself, I decided to investigate. The conclusion I arrived at? Early Evergrey, including Solitude Dominance Tragedy, is not only equal to The Inner Circle, but in many ways actually even superior; it is among the most under-appreciated & underrated material I've heard in some time, and since discovering it, it has wreaked havoc on my Last.Fm.

What the album presents the listener with is an up-and-coming Swedish progressive metal band still discovering and honing their sound; a style that's adequately complex with dark influences, is melodic, and puts the emotion-packed vocals of Tom Englund at the forefront. The album commences with Solitude Within, which for 5:33 carries the listener through a barrage of riffs, drum fills, and high soaring vocals all on top of a grandiose atmosphere. Frankly, the song slays, and simultaneously gives the listener a taste of the exquisite clamor that is to follow.

A key attribute of vintage Evergrey is their ability to engage the listener with a multitude of topics, and in every sense of the word, diversity. The Shocking Truth is a slower thematic piece about extra terrestrial life, complete with spoken samples throughout the song, such as, we have evidence of a superior culture out there; they come from....God knows where; maybe from some other dimension; maybe from some other dimension of existence. An echoing guitar note completes the eerie feeling the song is designed to achieve. The Shocking Truth is also important because it spawned the entire concept for their next album, In Search Of Truth, which focuses on alien abduction and life both prior to, and after.

Further adding to the depth of the album is Words Mean Nothing, a well-constructed, well-executed ballad featuring piano, classical guitar, and orchestral instruments that is anything but cheesy in nature. Englund in typical fashion wears his heart on his sleeve while describing his anguish over a loved one who has passed away- I'm gonna fly, I'm gonna roll, I'm gonna thunder...my sanity has left me, the trust I once had has died; what's left is only pieces; all my words been proven lies...my trust has died with you. Some listeners may recognize parts of this piece as some sections were later reused for a track called "Trilogy of the Damned" on the The Inner Circle album. Bands reusing material is typically a pet peeve of mine, but in that case, I cannot criticize because the undeniable beauty of the song warrants it.

All in all, Solitude Dominance Tragedy is an outstanding release worth your time and hard-earned money whether you're a fan of melodic prog metal or not. There are highs; there are lows; there is pain; and most of all there is passion. I've listened to this album a solid ten times, and I've yet to find anything that qualifies as filler. If there is one single word to describe Solitude Dominance Tragedy, it would be "genuine." So, not only is Evergrey nowhere near being in the one-album-wonder galaxy....if one exists, they're in a completely different universe altogether.

Recommended Tracks:
"Solitude Within"
"The Shocking Truth"
"Words Mean Nothing"
"The Corey Curse"

Y&T ContagiousSoilwork The Living Infinite
Bullet for My Valentine Temper TemperFlaw Through the Eyes
Clint Black Killin' TimeNevermore Utopia (Demo)

yea m/

First time I've ever sat down and written a review all at once too

January 6th 2012

nice review dude i will check this out

Digging: Gal Costa - Gal Costa

thx bro m/

@Riff, I think In Search Of Truth is their best, but this is definitely close to it.

TheNotrap

Nice review man.
Have a pos.

Don't know this. Jamming now.

Digging: Fallujah - The Flesh Prevails

TheNotrap
January 6th 2012

"Solitude Within" rules damn hard.

January 6th 2012

i know bro it's one of my favorite songs right now m/

Good review chief! Pos.

I haven't heard this in days so I'll be spinning it through the weekend.

tiesthatbind
January 6th 2012

I've only heard Recreation Day and Torn, I need to check out some of their older stuff.

Great review too.

Digging: Anberlin - Lowborn

January 6th 2012

Recreation Day is really good but Torn is just decent. Their first 3 albums are easily their best IMO.

thx for Pos everybody m/

January 13th 2012

Damnation is prolly the heaviest track off this album, and prolly my fav

However, I really love the melody off "The Shocking Trvth" at 2:08. Those backing skits fit so well.

Also, wooooooorrrrrddsss mmmmmeeeeaaann noooootthhhing!

January 13th 2012

I know bro the album is so good! Listen to The Dark Discovery too, it's actually growing on me and I'm liking it more than this now....old school Evergrey is beast

January 13th 2012

Yeah bro Evergrey is my old drummer's favorite band. He got me into Evergrey. Heard all their albums. Been a while though so I'll spin it again.

DoctorVelvet
August 10th 2012

Yeah, this is really good--completely underappreciated. I always thought Recreation Day and In Search of Truth were the
best, but this one is really special as well.

Gigglesdemon
September 18th 2012

Nosferatu's chorus is awesome. Love that so much. Also, I feel this is really underrated in the power prog circles.

September 18th 2012

Agreed. Solitude Within is still gnarly as fuck

My SANITTTTTTTTTY HAS LEFT MEEEEEEEEEE
The trust I once had has dieeeeeeeeeeed

CK
December 28th 2013

Opening track is wondrous. Especially live

Agreed.

CK
January 17th 2014

Caving in and buying this tonight