Lycus
Demo MMXI

by Angel STAFF
January 4th, 2012 | 24 replies | 4,107 views

Review Summary: Coming soon to a funeral near you!

California seems to be quite the hotbed for metal at the moment, even if most of it‘s of the blackened variety. But with doom seeing a bit of a resurgence in the last year, it shouldn’t come as much of a surprise to anyone that there’s a talented act on the West Coast popping up at just the right time to add fuel to the fire. If playing gigs with the Bay Area’s best (bands like Fell Voices and Ash Borer) isn’t enough to get your name out there, sharing a drummer with the much heralded Deafheaven certainly can’t hurt. While Lycus are a much different beast than their black metal brethren, they do seem to share much of the organic and, at times, grimy aesthetic that makes those groups so appealing and even go as far as to work in a bit of the genre into their own processional stylings. While it’s unclear at this point just how much attention the group will receive amidst the ruckus being caused by their peers, their first recorded offering to the masses, the aptly-titled Demo MMXI, is certainly a promising start.

“Resonance in Aether” kicks things off in somber fashion with heavy guitar chords colliding with steady percussion and low growls while another, more droning voice emanates hauntingly from behind the other layers. The second track follows suit to further engage and entrance while taking a few pleasant twists and turns along the way. Closer “Aghast” throws a bigger curve ball in the form of frenzied black metal fury, blasting and screeches included. The brief pulse of aggression recedes as quickly as it came, subsiding once more into mournful plodding.

While Demo MMXI lacks a lot of the swelling emotion of its contemporaries, it more than makes up for it with distinctive atmosphere, complements of great production and instrumental nuance. The drumming stands out as a bit more colorful than most music built around the bleak, sluggish frame of doom but never sounds out of place. Lycus appear to already possess the musical talent and much of the subtly dynamic songwriting skill to be depressive heavyweights and, with a bit of fine-tuning, have the potential to unleash some truly exceptional funeral doom on the world. Maybe it’s not as sunny in SoCal as we all thought…

Chelsea Wolfe Pain Is BeautyPrurient Through the Window
Muknal / The Haunting Presence SplitStorm Corrosion Storm Corrosion
Rudimentary Peni CacophonyNoothgrush Erode the Person

January 4th 2012

For more info, "Lycus" on Facebook!

Tyrael

20442 Comments

Oh god yes. The track you posted on facebook ruled face so I'm definitely checking this out.

Killer review Angel, pos'd.

January 4th 2012

There's a lot of relatively unknown stuff from last year that I'd like to bring some attention to but haven't had the time. I was, however, able to make an exception in the case of this relatively short write-up.

Pentagon

1998 Comments

For more info, "Lycus" on Facebook!

roflcopter

balcaen

cover is so tumblr

January 4th 2012

This sounds pretty awesome. Nice review as always Angel.

Tyrael

20442 Comments

There's a lot of relatively unknown stuff from last year

Yeah man I'm gonna review that Antediluvian album because it didn't get a lot of attention ^^

January 4th 2012

New Antediluvian was so good.

Anyways, listening to this now.

Sevhead
January 4th 2012

Deafheaven drummer, you say? Will listen.

Hyperion1001

m/

Digging: Steve Moore - Zero-Point Field

Good stuff.

iFghtffyrdmns
January 4th 2012

clear and concise enough for me to finish reading it before my pseudo-ADHD got the best of me.
yep good job - though I won't be listening to this.

Rules hard.

Sevhead

these vocals are ungodly

January 4th 2012

Best song/part on the demo.

ShadowRemains

19445 Comments

nasty stuff

seedofnothing

Excellent Review!

"but also go as far as to even work in a bit of the genre into their own processional stylings"

Should read: but also goes as far as incorporating a bit of the genre into their own......

*Using even after "as far as" sounds redundant.

"Maybe it’s not as sunny in SoCal as we all thought…"

Residing in "SoCal", I got a kick out of that. Listening to this now, thanks for sharing.

Voivod
January 5th 2012

The summary is so win, will read later.

Digging: The 3rd and the Mortal - Painting On Glass

January 5th 2012

Thanks. I reworked that sentence a bit.

zaruyache
January 5th 2012

"For more info, 'Lycus' on Facebook!"

>:/