Whores.
Ruiner

by Statrick Pickles USER (63 Reviews)
January 3rd, 2012 | 19 replies

Review Summary: Well it's sort of like Reptar if he wasn't a fictional green dinosaur from a kid's show...

On any given night, Christian Lembach suffers anywhere between two and seven brain aneurysms; there's about a 35% chance that Travis Owen's drumsticks formerly played the roles of his tibiae; Jake Shultz's bass amp has caused clinical deafness in at least two dozen people. While none of the preceding statements are based whatsoever in fact, a listen or two through Ruiner just might get you wondering. The five-track debut EP from Atlanta's Whores. displays the trio's uncanny ability to put their angst, anguish, and general discontent into an audial form best described as a septum-bashing, and to do so without any gimmicks, frills, or blood-stained death-masks.

To put it one way, Lembach's unbridled songwriting very accurately reflects the fact that living amongst some of today's less than grateful, self-centered scumbags is often akin to brushing one's teeth with sandpaper. Ruiner is the barbed-wire floss to counteract that; it is the means by which these three southern noise-rockers bite back against the world's shitty ways and its shittier inhabitants. Opener 'Daddy's Money' recapitulates the story of that certain vapid, over-privileged bitch that everyone seems to know, whose father's rent checks just happen to go right up her button nose instead. Or take a track like 'Tell Me Something Scientific,' whose production and execution are as raw as its anti-religious-fundantalist message is obvious. Even the fact that the track's central riff and melody resembles those of the intro to 'Fake Life' just a little too closely is so easily forgivable considering the group's incredible propensity to grind their message home - in a nice way, if that's at all conceivable. Despite its noise-rock roots, nothing about Ruiner comes off as inaccessible: its unrelenting noisiness carries as much purpose and direction as its songwriting, meanwhile maintaining enough of their "fuck-off" attitude to lend the album its cutthroat allure. It vividly recalls and rehashes all of punk-rock's most essential mantras and motifs whilst supplementing them with some seriously pulverizing neo-monolithic riffage, cementing Ruiner as an end-of-the-year record worth delving back into a now retired 2011 for.

Binary Heart SplitsvilleApe Up! Kemosabe
Joyce Manor Of All Things I Will Soon Grow TiredAnti-Flag The General Strike
Good Old War Come Back As RainSnowing Pump Fake / Scherbatsky 7"

Also posted: http://www.muzikdizcovery.com

Streak: http://whores.bandcamp.com/

RIYL: getting angry / getting pulverized

Satellite

20826 Comments

i feel like i've seen this album title somewhere before :/

clercqie

Cool review, pos!

Maybe I'll check this out, seems interesting. Love the rec section btw ;)

djunior

Solid review!

This album great, cool to see it get some attention here.
pos'd

Digging: Kairon; IRSE! - Ujubasajuba

January 4th 2012

thanks guys, yeah it's a cool record
they're touring now too but apparently only stopping in a bunch of pretentious cities

accompliceofmydeath
January 4th 2012

No blood stained death masks? Fuck this.

Naw, this looks good though. I dig some noise rock. And lol at your recs section.

Digging: Snapcase - Progression Through Unlearning

Irving
January 4th 2012

Your writing makes me want to review again, so hard. Anwyays, good job mate - have a pos. This doesn't really sound like my cup of tea, but if I come across it I'll keep what you wrote in mind.

Wizard

19644 Comments

I love how concise and informative this review is. Good job dude! Sounds like it would appeal to my tastes as well.

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

Xenophanes
January 4th 2012

I love your off the wall but still incredibly informative style. Review is gold, man.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III - Saturnian Poetry

daw shucks thanks bros

IRVING PLEASE DO REVIEW AGAIN SOON

Adabelle
January 4th 2012

Short but sweet, casual review, I like it. Possibility that I'll check it out at some point..

AliW1993

I enjoyed this

eternium
January 7th 2012

This is a good band. Too bad they keep playing at the 21+ venue in Atlanta.

eternium
January 7th 2012

Oh, why does the review say Gainesville when the band is from Atlanta?

January 7th 2012

hum. that's weird - i swear their bandcamp said Gainesville in the upper right hand corner but I just checked and it's not there. Perhaps I am mistaken, I will fix that when I have less shitty internet access.

greg84
January 12th 2012

Cool review! Yeah. This EP rules! Daddy's Money can't save you now...

Spec