Bolt Thrower
War Master

by TheNotrap USER (10 Reviews)
December 30th, 2011 | 56 replies

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: With "War Master" Bolt Thrower finally established their distinctive signature sound.

Formed in 1986, Bolt Thrower were one of the first extreme metal bands that emerged from England. Their first releases, The Peel Sessions, In Battle There Is No Law and especially Realm of Chaos, helped in establishing Bold Thrower as one of the most respectable and distinctive extreme metal bands of the late ΄80s.

Keeping the same line-up as in their previous effort, Realm of Chaos, Bolt Thrower released their highly anticipated 3rd album, War Master in February 1991. Whereas grindcore textures were still the prevailing element in the band's previous album, War Master evolves naturally towards a more "classic" and refined death metal sound. However, the distinctive signature elements of previous records, namely Karl Willetts's powerful grunting vocals and the intense guitar riffs, remain intact.

Bolt Thrower's refined formula is immediately recognizable on the opening track "Intro... Unleashed (Upon Mankind)", a song that brilliantly combines doom oriented atmospheres with mid and up-tempo sections. The track that follows, "What Dwells Within", starts with an epic riff, followed by an impressive and powerful vocal entrance by the inimitable Karl Willetts. After the first two songs, the listener easily understands that "War Master" is a different creature from "Realm of Chaos". Regarding the songwriting, although it feels slightly repetitive, it is carefully arranged now, while it focuses on building different but coherent dynamics within the songs and canalizing more effectively the aggressiveness of previous releases. Colin Richardson's effective production and sound engineering also helps the band in finally establishing its distinctive signature sound. This well sensed balance with respect to sound and arrangements, continues throughout the album with songs such as "The Shreds of Sanity", "War Master", "Afterlife" or the epic "Cenotaph", a thematic and musical continuation of the previous classic "World Eater". As it becomes evident from the song titles, "War Master" is lyrically focused on all aspects of human warfare, continuing the established tradition of previous releases.

Despite the slightly repetitive songwriting, "War Master" remains an excellent effort, based on interesting musical performance from a band that finally found its identity. As for the album itself, it still remains one of the most respectable death-metal albums ever released.

Pros:
What Dwells Within and Cenotaph
Karl Willetts performance
Colin Richardson’s sound engineering

Cons:
Slightly repetitive songwriting

Marillion FugaziMetal Church Blessing in Disguise
Dio Sacred HeartCoroner Punishment for Decadence
Scorpions World Wide LiveSavatage Edge Of Thorns

December 30th 2011

Guys I hope you like this Bolt Thrower review.

If you don’t know this band or this particular album if you wish take a look:

Cenotaph

What Dwells Within

I also want to thank Voivod for his help on the grammar and text structures.
English is not my first language so his help was, once again, precious.

Digging: Threshold - For The Journey

Some additional info:

War Master’s cover art work was produced by Games Workshop.

Jo Bench, Bolt Thrower’s bass player, is generally considered to be among the earliest female members of an extreme metal band.

Their early demo “Concession of Pain” was sent to the legendary radio DJ John Peel that almost immediately offered them a radio session. Their “Peel Session” EP, released in January 1988, was enough to get them their first record contract.

prob my fav bolt

Wizard

19444 Comments

Good review, still need to do a run-through of Bolt Throwers discography.

Digging: Godflesh - A World Lit Only By Fire

DetJohnKimble
December 30th 2011

Definitely one of my fav DM bands and this was where they started really developing their sound. Nice concise review as well btw.
As a point of interest for those inclined there are still ticks available for their anniversary show in london (not really any publicity about it surprisingly!)

@Megadeth
Same here, along with ...For Victory and Those Once Loyal.

@Wizard
Thanks. Do it asap Wizard, this band released several great albums.

@DetJohnKimble
Thanks. I'm aware of their anniversary show. Unfortunately I can't be there.

Crysis
December 30th 2011

I like Realm of Chaos and Those Once Loyal better but this still rules... I mean it is a Bolt Thrower
album after all.

Digging: Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vetusta III ? Saturnian Poetry

Voivod

...For Victory

m/

Digging: Raven Throne - ???????? ?????????

ValeriusTheImmortal

nice, man.

Jo Bench rules

Indeed. Jo rules hard.
m/

Poet

"Cons:
Slightly repetitive songwriting"

I don't think that's a bad thing.

ValeriusTheImmortal

Jo makes me hard

BOOIIIOOIOIOIOING

Hyperion1001
December 30th 2011

gonna go play warhammer now blast some bolt thrower

Digging: Objekt - Flatland

December 30th 2011

Much needed review. Auto pos.

Digging: Tove Lo - Queen of the Clouds

ShadowRemains

20847 Comments

fuckin riffffffffs

Twiddlebop
December 30th 2011

I wanted to review this but you pretty much said what I would've. Pos.

One small correction though, if I may;
"With "War Master" Bolt Thrower, finally established their distinctive signature sound."

The comma should be after War Master, no?

YUJOS
December 30th 2011

Unfortunately. the bad production in War Master "destroys" the overall quality of the songs.

Digging: Misery Index - The Killing Gods

are you fucking joking

YUJOS
December 30th 2011

@ Megadeth : No i 'm not.

December 30th 2011

damn dude you are pretty gay