YOB
The Illusion Of Motion

by chainsmoker05 USER (1 Reviews)
December 30th, 2011 | 17 replies | 4,820 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: By adding a new drummer along with a heavy dose of stoner aggression and a bigger production, to the spacey psychedelic music on Catharsis and their debut. YOB created their masterpiece, a monolithic record that captures the true essence of doom metal.

Eugene, Oregon's highly underrated YOB have been doing long winding sludge and stoner driven progressive doom metal for close to fifteen years. From the 2001 debut Elaborations of Carbon to this year's Atma, the band has given us six amazing metal records. Enduring three lineup changes, a break up, and legal problems the band continues to prevail. After the critically hailed Catharsis, the band released their most cohesive statement to this date in The Illusion of Motion. A gigantic fifty six minute opus of unrelentingly crushing doom. That will keep you totally mesmerized by its psychedelic leads as your head is bashed in by the powerful rhythm section.

YOB are the masters of dynamics and never lose your attention or momentum for the album's running time. Even when it's for the sparse tempo change, as in the album highlight Doom #2. That in retrospect to the sluggish speed of the other songs, seems to fly by alarmingly. It's an album that never gets tiring, even with numerous listens. As you hear more and more things you didn't pick up on before, each listen is almost like an entirely new experience. Like the gorgeous lead playing at the 7:40 mark of Exorcism of the Host, that I only picked up on after. Once you're hooked on the infectious rhythms and magnificently colossal guitar playing, you'll want to keep traveling back into the world of YOB.

With its gargantuan riffs and bowel rupturing bass lines, fierce opener Ball of Molten Lead leaves little to be desired. As does the mammoth title track, a desolately atmospheric epic. Disguised as a lumbering beast for most of its duration, its picks up for a frantically groovy finish. The album is nearly flawless in execution, showcasing doom done right. In a genre that for a large part is stale and littered with imitators. It will continue to stand tall as a testament to YOB's legacy and the magic of a great groove.

chainsmoker05
December 30th 2011

First review, any thoughts anyone? Sorry if its too short.

December 30th 2011

On their Metal Blade debut The Illusion of Motion, they created their masterpiece. By adding a new drummer along with a heavy dose of stoner aggression and a bigger production, to the spacey psychedelic music on Catharsis and their debut.

Read that sentence out loud and tell me if it makes any sense to you.

loose should be "lose"

Once you're hooked you'll want to keep traveling back into the world of YOB. Just to hear the infectious rhythms, and colossal yet magnificent guitar playing the album displays.

This is awkwardly divided up

From the fierce opener Ball of Molten Lead, with its gargantuan riffs and bowel rupturing bass lines. To the mammoth title track, that slowly builds. Lumbering along for most of its duration, until the end as its picks up for a frantically groovy finish.

So is this

The album is completly flawless

*completely, and be careful about making such assertions

A truly unique album that in a genre that for a large part is stale and littered with imitators, will continue to stand tall.

Lots of fragments in this review, so I guess it's fitting it should end with one too. Overall this review is really choppy, but there are definitely hints of good writing in here. Try to clean up your grammar a little bit (we do have a proofreading thread if you are interested) and maybe just flesh out your detailed explanations a little more. It's only your first review (most people's first reviews suck, and I remember mine wasn't that great either) so just keep working at it and I think you will end up writing some decent reviews. Oh, and length isn't an issue as long as you are concise and articulate with your points.

Digging: The War on Drugs - Lost in the Dream

Wizard

19296 Comments

I love the length of the review and it's about time this album gets some recognition. The above mentioned grammar/ sentence structure points are something you will have to work on with future reviews too. For a first review though, have a vote for doing this album justice.

Digging: Downer - Downer

Voivod
December 30th 2011

kudos for reviewing this.

Good review for a first, pos, but be sure to edit what SowingSeason pointed out in detail.

The eponymous track is the abyss.

Digging: Lisa Gerrard - Twilight Kingdom

DDconjoined
December 30th 2011

great band, better than my first review. keep it up

chainsmoker05
December 30th 2011

Thanks for the comments, really appreciate it. I tried fixing the stuff Sowingseason mentioned, so it would read a little better. YOB does deserve alot more recognition than they get. They are without a doubt my favorite doom metal band of all time. I want to try reviewing maybe Catharsis and the Middian album next.

Inveigh
December 30th 2011

I love Atma and this kind of metal in general... why don't I have this?

I just read the review now and it seems like a lot of the errors mentioned in previous comments have been fixed. Pretty good for a first review.

Digging: YOB - Clearing The Path To Ascend

December 31st 2011

i really don't understand the hype behind these guys

one of their albums is rather good i guess

scissorlocked
December 31st 2011

you have to listen to this stoned

then you'll understand- it's truly chaotic and flowing music, heavy and ethereal

Digging: Leon Vynehall - Music For The Uninvited

December 31st 2011

then fuck it, i'm not bothering if it requires me to take substances to understand :]

Sunn177
July 27th 2012

the opener is fucking sick!

Digging: Soilent Green - Sewn Mouth Secrets

September 1st 2012

this is pretty good actually but i'm surprised no one has commented on the huge neurosis similarities

which pretty much answers my question as to why people like this so much and i only think it's pretty good

September 1st 2012

it is pretty boring i agree with you but this one's at least a little better than the others

Wizard
September 2nd 2012

19296 Comments

Pretty vague similarity if you ask me. This is a beast all on it's own.

September 2nd 2012

the riffs, production and builds all highly resemble neurosis' style, even some of the vocals do

YankeeDudel
March 19th 2013

cool band with cooler album covas

Digging: William Tyler - Impossible Truth

Inveigh
January 27th 2014

all of YOB's albums rule and are incredibly consistent in quality. this one didn't grab me like The Unreal That Never Lived, Atma or Catharsis, but it's grown over time.

similary, Elaborations of Carbon has become potentially my favorite YOB record...