1 of 4 thought this review was well written
THis is my first review, so please forgive me if it is terrible.
Relient K is a christian punk rock band, who has cut into mainstream music. The first song that most heard of RK was either Those Words are Not Enough, which was their first single played on secular music stations, or, the single off their latest release, Be My Escape. Regardless, Relient K has become a big hit. This cd was their second release, and in my opinion, their best! Here is a track-by-track review.
1. Kick-Off: This is just an intro to the cd. Not much of a song, but it kind of gives you a taste of what is to come, being their punk-rock style and light-funny lyrics. 3/5
2. Pressing On: Maybe one of the best songs Relient K has ever written. Many of my friends hate all Relient K songs, except for this one. It starts off with a fast guitar intro, and goes straight into the song. I think the lyrics are saying something about finding something good in life, and pursuing it continuously. The song ends with a slow outro. 5/5
3. Sadie Hawkins Dance: A very catchy song, which is about... yea, you guessed it, a Sadie Hawkins Dance. The chorus will get stuck in your head. An overall good song, with the usual punk rock riffs and a simple guitar bridge/solo. 4/5
4. Down In Flames: Starts off with a very fast intro. Good guitar and drum work. The lyrics in this song are very odd. "Christians, we're all afraid of fire. We prefer to suck on pacifiers." It seems like he might be talking about Christians fighting with each other and not worrying about witnessing to the world around them. Not sure. and overall good song! 4/5
5. Maybe It's Maybeline: Starts off with an awesome guitar intro, probably my favorite on the cd. Good guitar all the way through, but what makes this song is the lyrics. It is about doing wrong and trying to blame it on someone else, or something else. The analogy of make-up makes it cool. A very good track! 5/5
6. Breakdown: Not a great track. Normal punk-rock guitar riffs, and cheesy lyrics. The live version of this song is much better than the studio version. not a great song. 3/5
7. Those Words are Not Enough: Good guitar intro. Another very catchy song. The lyrics of this song show their true colors. Talking about how nothing is good enough for God, no words can express what we owe. A very good song! 5/5
8. For The Moments I Feel Faint: The first acoustic track on the album. Good lyrics, "Never underestimate my Jesus, You're tellin me that theres no hope, im telling you your wrong." A fun song to play and sing to. 4/5
9. Lion WIlson: Just a filler track, nothing real special. 2/5
10. I'm Lion-O: This song shows you the humor of Relient K. A very fun song, which was written about the old cartoon show, Thundercats. Usual punk guitar, but fun-humorous lyrics. Good song. 4/5
11. What Have You Been Doing Lately?: Starts off with wierd singing, but then goes back into the regular relient K lyrics. The song is talking about friends that you once knew, but have changed for the worse. An average song. 3/5
12. May the Horse Be With You: Another amazing humorous song. Obviously making fun of star wars. This song also has a some guitar guitar riffs and good vocals. 4/5
13. My Way or the Highway...: A good song, but not much variety. Mostly they just say, its my way or the highway to hell. An overall good song though. 3/5
14. Breakfast at Timpani's: Kind of a pointless filler track, might as well just erase it from the cd. 1/5
15. The Rest is Up to You: An ok track, with usual punk riffs and wierd lyrics which mention Mark Twain...? Not a great track, but it doesnt take away from the album. 3/5
16. Failure to Excommunicate: Starts off with a cool bass line, then breaks into some palm muted guitar. Another one of my favorites on the cd. It gives a dark feeling and Matt T. uses his voice like never before on the cd. An awesome track! 5/5
17. Less is More: Starts off with some piano and vocals. Then breaks into a guitar riff with one of the worst vocals on the cd. I don't know what happened, but Matt T. sounds terrible in the chorus of this song. Not a great closer to an excellent CD.
Overall I give this cd a 4/5. It was a big improvement from their first album, and the lyrics on this album show their talent at songwriting.
Thanks, and again i apologize if it was terrible