Kimbra
Vows

by doug USER (78 Reviews)
December 22nd, 2011 | 110 replies | 15,664 views

Review Summary: Kimbra has settled down.

Kimbra is a star on the rise and her debut LP, Vows proves this disposition. Placing herself into cameos with Miami Horror and the-shall-not-be-named Gotye single, Kimbra’s name was propelled worldwide, giving her the perfect launching pad to unleash her own musical styling’s on the public, and Vows is an album filled with mixed genre glossy pop, whimsical soul and fulfilling jazz renditions that shows Kimbra’s own writing is something to behold.

A strong juxtaposition in musical style is what makes Vows so listenable, giving the listener so many straws to clutch at. An example of this is the glorious cover of Nina Simone’s ‘Plain Gold Rings’, focussing on Kimbra’s self harmonization and empathetic vocals, while ‘Call Me’ is a huge jazz/soul tune that becomes bigger and better as it goes on. The cohesion of Vows is also magnificent, with so much difference in her styling’s, Kimbra is able to tie everything together, and piece the differences together to make a cohesive and spectacular flow from the thickly layered vocals of ‘Withdraw’ to the silky husk 90’s pop of ‘Old Flame’. Song writing brilliance is evident in her melodies, as they linger and tease you as the listener as the hooks are used sparingly, giving the listener a glow when they come around.

Lyrically, Kimbra entices and is straight forth in her narrative;
This is nonstop baby,
You've got me going crazy,
You're heavier than I knew
But I don't want no other,
You're my cameo love,
Only here for a moment or two”

Lead singles, ‘Settle Down’ is a valiant trip through dream pop vocals and glorious soulful instrumental, while ‘Cameo Lover’ is pure pop joy with cheery hooks and high sing-a-long value. This is a credit to the production of the album, with an eminenent showing of produces in M-Phases and Francoise Tetaz, the indie/rock and R’n’B knowledge is support with fantastic understand of jazz and orchestral musicality, giving Vows it’s full punch.

At a young age of 21, Kimbra has been able to establish herself with a glorious album in Vows. No doubt, being able to produce quality pop music without falling for the club themed anthems that seem to be the headline of most top 40 countdowns, Kimbra has proven that musicality and quality production can outshine any of the sausage factory products that see’s much airplay these days. Vows is encompassing and willing and shows that Gotye was somebody that Kimbra used to know.

Flume and Chet Faker LockjawThe Naked and Famous In Rolling Waves
James Blake OvergrownTaylor Swift Red
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis The HeistChet Faker Thinking in Textures

December 22nd 2011

Sorry about that last pun, couldn't help myself.

Cannot wait to see her at Falls this year, will be fantastic.
She is also magnifcently stunning!

[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-H7E1GxaSAco/TqCJfHtRERI/AAAAAAAAAlA/8XoGkzJD2T8/s640/kimbra1.jpg [/img]

linkjerk

the image looks like Marilyn Manson with a wig

Chrisjon89
December 22nd 2011

Good review. Pretty great album too.

Digging: Elizabeth Rose - Elizabeth Rose

December 22nd 2011

Thanks Chris, album is swell...

Really linkjerk?

Big ups for the tron

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

NZ represent.

December 22nd 2011

This is a kiwi thread now, where we talk about kiwi things

You know I can't eat your ghost chips

blastOFFitsPARTYtime
December 22nd 2011

Stop internalising such complicated situations, Deviant.

spoon

Space head

blastOFFitsPARTYtime

puzzle time

WhiteNoise
December 22nd 2011

Nice review man. She's sure is starting to blow up over here.

Digging: Eagulls - Eagulls

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Somebody that I used to know is so bad

luckily this album shits all over that song and Gotye's last offering as a whole

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

December 22nd 2011

I looove the song she does with Miami Horror and she has a great voice. Gonna check this out.

Digging: He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

zxlkho

Fucking love this album.

WashboardSuds
December 22nd 2011

thanks for reviewing this, I was getting eager for one

album is excellent

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins

Thanks guys.

That's a bit harsh Tyrae, I think Gotye's latest is swell!

Deviant, us Aussies need less death and more ghost chips in our drink driving ads!

AutoRock
December 22nd 2011

Not aaas good as Gotyes album(though their crossover sucked balls) but still top twenty of the year. Love is a two way street is great.

December 23rd 2011

Yeah, for me this is better than Gotye. Somebody That I Used to Know is still great though.

December 25th 2011

bloc rates this, therefore it is awesome