Jeff Jacquay
La Cambria

by David Shephard USER (22 Reviews)
December 21st, 2011 | 8 replies | 2,028 views

Review Summary: I heard you...

If there’s one thing that I like about folk music it’s that it has this inherent ability to sound really sad really easily. I can’t explain why, but if I start listing off my favorite folk records they’re all really dark and depressing. Now, to be fair, I haven’t heard that many, but there just is something wistful about a man and a guitar. If anything, Jeff Jacquay almost takes this too far on his debut LP. It almost sounds too desolate, too detached, too distant. Nonetheless, despite his constant morose sound, Jacquay has crafted a strangely lively album. Quick paced and short at 35 minutes, La Cambria is a briskly lo-fi emotive experience.

Jacquay’s voice is rarely more than a whisper, but easily rises above his soft guitar picking. Acoustic guitar mostly drives La Cambria, although muted electric guitars do come in to play with some frequency, as well as some drums and cymbal crashes. Jacquay’s capabilities as a songwriter are immediately apparent on stand out “World’s Record Trophy,” by far the most dynamic track on the album. Much of the album consists of remarkably simple, yet effective melodies. A decent chunk of the record is instrumental, although the instrumentals are brief in length and seem perfectly fitting with Jacquay’s vocals. Intimate textures and samples are used effectively throughout the album (a plane flying overhead, a voicemail, etc.), further emphasizing La Cambria’s overall atmosphere. In fact, that might be Jacquay’s greatest strength--not necessarily in the songs themselves individually, as they are almost too simplistic for their own good, but in his incredible focus and knack for subtlety.

La Cambria is an album destined to go under the radar. It almost completely fails to say anything outwardly, preferring to keep to itself in the corner, playing sad songs by itself. It’s almost as if Jacquay didn’t want it to be heard and made the album for himself rather than for anyone else. Still, for those that take the time, listeners will find that it is an unquestionably consistent, charming, and heartwarming release. Prepare for some downbeat tunes, folks.

Vocal Few She'll Be RightBigfoot Wallace Malleable
Family Force 5 IIISwitchfoot Eastern Hymns For Western Shores
Thousand Foot Krutch The Flame in All of UsDerek Webb Stockholm Syndrome

December 22nd 2011

in my top 5 or 6 or so on the year.

linkjerk

downbeat

yah

SnazSpaz
December 22nd 2011

I need to check this out

Omaha
December 22nd 2011

"it’s that it has this inherit ability"
Inherent.

Good review; this album was okay to me. I loved A Sleep, but the rest all blended together too much.

Digging: Deniro Farrar - Rebirth

December 22nd 2011

ah thanks. spell check doesn't catch those. give it another try man, though I could see how this wouldn't be for everyone.

Omaha
December 22nd 2011

Ehh I moved this up to a 3.5, I'm enjoying it more on the second listen. Might be too generous though.

December 22nd 2011

cool man, glad youre liking it.