Tangerine Dream
Stratosfear

by Andru Okenuf USER (32 Reviews)
December 15th, 2011 | 20 replies | 7,216 views

Release Date: 1976 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another gorgeous outing with Tangerine Dream

Have you ever heard an album that felt exactly like riding your favorite roller coaster? With little warning, your whole psyche, your whole demeanor and your whole perspective on your surroundings is thrown into a loop as you’re taken up down and all around. There’s complete unpredictability throughout, each second is a rush of adrenaline, and the album as a whole is a welcome rush of blood through your veins.

Tangerine Dream’s Stratosfear manages to do exactly that. One of the earlier albums driven by electronic synthesizers, it is more refined and carefully arranged than similar tracks being released today and maintains its age with grace. Like the other releases by Edgar Froese and company, the album navigates through all kinds of emotions, swerving effortlessly from sprawling, otherworldly harmonies to simple ambience. Using what was available at the time to literally invent sounds, part of Stratosfear’s charm lies not only in its incredibly moving set of pieces, but with an instrument that is less than a decade old, what’s truly incredible is how effortlessly they manage to do so.

The album’s title track pushes us forward and wills us along for the journey, jogging ahead and willing us to keep pace. ‘The Big Sleep’ lulls and soothes, ‘3am’ gives us a deeper sense of the marshy and mysterious realm, but by sprinting through the finish, ‘Invisible Limits’ (famously sampled in DJ Shadow’s Endtroducing) becomes the most memorable thing on the record. Each track is so separate and distinct, their very own decadent pieces, yet they manage to come together magnificently to tell a beautiful story in supernatural form.

One of the few qualms one can have with the album is that it struggles to truly distinguish itself against Tangerine Dream’s incredible 1970s catalog. Whereas Phaedra and to an extent Rubycon had greater wow factor that at times made life itself stand still, Stratosfear is content to bring you alongside it. And just as if walking hand in hand with a close friend through a new adventure, Stratosfear won’t disappoint.

Mylo Destroy Rock And RollThe xx Coexist
The Future Sound of London LifeformsTricky Maxinquaye
Anais Mitchell Young Man in AmericaExoplanet Nothing Divides Us Here

December 15th 2011

Another Tangerine Dream review that's too short. This thing needed a review bad though. Not feeling super great about this one, but it's out there so yea. I find this stuff pretty tough to write about

Digging: Aphex Twin - Syro

Lovely review, pos.

thanks guyss

MisterTornado
December 15th 2011

Bought the album strictly because of that Endtroducing sample on Invisible Limits, turns out the whole thing is good.

I proofread this m/

Digging: Tiny Moving Parts - Pleasant Living

BlastRadius
December 15th 2011

I love Tangerine Dream and need more of their stuff, definitively looking into this.

seedofnothing
December 15th 2011

This guy has so many albums. I guess I'll start here and see if it's worth pursuing any further.

Ending
December 15th 2011

Fantastic artist. Haven't listened in ages though. Will read review when I find the time and edit my post.

Kaleid
December 15th 2011

Nice. I agree that it's not up there with Phaedra and Rubycon, but it's still fantastic. I think it makes up the TD 70s triptych, they haven't really come close since, because they changed so much.

December 16th 2011

this is a good place to start, but phaedra is the place to start i think

Nikkolae
December 16th 2011

this sounds wonderfull, any track you recomend to check out?

Digging: Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

December 16th 2011

they're all kinda drawn out and awesome, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Euhwq1IGWIk might be the one that stands out most

Nikkolae
December 16th 2011

that track is amazing, downloading this. btw pos´d

Jethro42
December 16th 2011

Excellent album. I own this on vynil since ever. Nice to see this reviewed.

fireaboveicebelow
December 23rd 2011

It took too long for someone here to review this. Pretty good job; this should be a bit longer but I understand that it's a hard record to write about.

December 23rd 2011

a few of my reviews are kinda just extended soundoffs. i never actually read reviews i think are too long so i err on the side of brevity.

i used to think tangerine dream's albums were difficult to review -- then i read kaleid's review of rubycon and realized i could probly have gone into more details

fireaboveicebelow
December 23rd 2011

Final drafts are still prone to editing ;)