Paramore
Singles Club

by simonpettersen USER (18 Reviews)
December 14th, 2011 | 25 replies

Review Summary: With "Singles" Paremore has returned to their roots with a fresh breath of air to their sound.

For those of you who don't know, Paramore is a very popular rock band from Franklin, Tennessee. The band has released tree albums; All We Know is Falling, Riot! and Brand New Eyes. Some of their biggest hits are "Decode" from the Twilight movie soundtrack and “Misery Business” from the Guitar Hero series, and if you haven't heard of these guys, then you must have been living under a rock.

Lately there has been a whole lot of fuzz about Paramore. Why? Because the two founding members Josh and Zac Farro left the band, and they didn't leave quietly with Josh accusing vocalist Hayley Williams of being manipulated by her management, treating the rest of the group as her solo project, and claiming that she was the only member of the band who was signed to Atlantic Records, while her bandmates were simply "riding on the coattails of her dream".

In 2011 Paramore debuted their first single without the Farro brothers called "Monster", it was the second single from the soundtrack of the 2011 summer block buster movie Transformers: Dark of the Moon. While the band recorded "Monster", they also recorded tree other songs; "Renegade", "Hello Cold World" and "In the Mourning"; These are the four songs we are presented with in the bands brand new EP “Singles”.

While I wasn’t expecting too much of it to begin with, it caught me by surprise, because this is actually a pretty damn solid EP if you like their music. It has the touch their two first albums had that the third one was missing. Their first two albums had a much more youthful pop punk feel to it while their third album “Brand New Eyes” was stretching out for a larger audience with a more mainstream sound.

The EP starts off with “Monster” a dark song with a mid tempo. For fans of “Riot!” and “All We Know Is Falling”, this song should appeal to them. Even though it marks a return to their former sound, it is at the same time more mature with a much darker tone and theme giving the whole song a more serious approach. The song is led by (no surprise) Hayley Williams from beginning to end with a really catchy chorus that easily can get stuck in your head. The second song is a much more upbeat and happier song called “Renegade”, you could basically call this song “CrushCrushCrush Pt. 2”, because this is a typical Paramore song; upbeat and catchy. The third song is called “Hello Cold World” and is the most radio friendly piece on the EP. This song shares similarities with some of the songs on “Brand New Eyes” with its much lighter tone and high tempo. Although this song is meant to bear a serious message like every song on the EP, it’s hard to take this song serious seeing how it basically is a teenage pop rock anthem. The last song is a slow, and quite frankly… sad song. It’s called “In the Mourning” and lyrically deals about how Williams feels cold and betrayed. While all the songs (except for Monster, for all I know) deal with the resent changes within the band, “In the Mourning” leaves everything behind, it’s on another level. It’s an emotionally charged ballad lead by Hayley Williams and co which closes the EP off perfect.

Every album released by Paramore has credited Josh Farro AND Hayley Williams as the writers and composers of the songs. Seeing how this album brings Paramore back to solid ground, the Farro brothers might actually have been onto something, Hayley Williams is a brilliant musician and has indeed quite a lot of cards up her sleeve.

Deuce Nine LivesThe Rasmus The Rasmus
Destine IlluminateInsense Burn in Beautiful Fire
Chris Medina What Are WordsMadina Lake World War III
TH3FU (4)
Brick By Boring Brick, Paramore Rebuild Their Sound...

fish CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Although not their strongest work to date, Singles Club EP proves post-Farro Paramore aren’t willi...

thatoneguy726
December 14th 2011

This is new material? Bad title choice. I've been thinking this was a "best of" compilation.

December 14th 2011

'radio friendly' and 'more mainstream' are phrases that should probably never be in a paramore review. it's PARAMORE. it's all radio friendly and none of it is more or less mainstream than anything else they've done

this is a pretty good review though, but i wouldn't include so much band history unless you're actually going to tie it into some larger theme

December 14th 2011

it's called singles because these were released as part of this thing they have called 'the singles club' where they give out music exclusively to the people who join it

vakuola
December 14th 2011

I would delete the first paragraph.

vakuola

Oops, double post

jackalope11
December 14th 2011

Good review, but I totally agree with Chan. Unless they start whipping out flutes and drop their label, Paramore will forever be radio friendly.

iFghtffyrdmns

hum.
had no idea this release was looming.

not that I really should care I'm wayyyyyy too cool for paramore now that i'm about of the elite sputnik family.

m/m/m/ yeah guys woo

AtavanHalen
December 14th 2011

The band has released tree albums

lol'd

Acanthus
December 15th 2011

Other than a 3(?) tracks I really don't like this band.

Digging: MO - No Mythologies To Follow

AlecBaldwin

about treefiddy

Nikkolae
December 15th 2011

i heard Hello Cold World yesterday on the radio and it was pretty good, im glad they're comming back to their old sound if this is anything like you suggest it is

Digging: Modern Witch - Unknown Domain

eurgh

no guilt turning to mediafire

Digging: Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers

Sanders

whole lot of fuzz

22072 Comments

Ok I've listened to this and I really fail to see how it's returning back to 'their roots'
although they haven't really changed that much since AWKIF

tiesthatbind

Need to listen to this

simonpettersen

AnarchistFish

Well I do, there is a clear change in their sound from Riot! to Brand New Eyes. Brand New Eyes being the much softer and mainstream approved driection. However with "Renegade" and "Monster" I get the Riot! feel again, Hello Cold World however sounds like a b-side from BNE.

22072 Comments

If we're talking back to the sound of Riot!, then yeah, but I wouldn't call that their roots

Nikkolae
December 15th 2011

stuff like Hello Hello and Another Day and All We Know Is Falling would be more fitting as their roots than Riot! if you ask me

edit: anyways who cares, hayley is still hot