Knife Party
100% No Modern Talking

good

by pizzamachine USER (211 Reviews)
December 14th, 2011 | 104 replies

Review Summary: wompin' fun.

If Skrillex, Feed Me, and Noisia had an orgy, Knife Party’s 100% No Modern Talking would be the sound equivalent of their screams as they womp each other. It’s no nonsense brostep/electro house with enough wobbles to take down a building; it’s filthier than your mom’s rag after cleaning the kitchen table, etc. An EP such as this cannot possibly improve the abysmal reputation of the genre seeing as it fits every stereotype. You see, this is the epitome of typical brostep, with the typical build-ups, and the typical womps, and the typical voice samples. However, while it loses points for the absence of uniqueness, it gains brownie points for generally solid execution. One can’t deny the catchiness of these tunes; the EP is fun.

The one problem with this EP is that Knife Party consistently remind us that we’re listening to brostep. The buildups to the obligatory bass breakdowns are too long, and occur too often to keep the listener hanging on every sound. ‘Fire Hive’ is the worst song, being Skrillex-esque and too bent on bringing down the bass, as though womps in themselves create a great song. Some tact would have been greatly appreciated.

Save for its non-uniqueness, the EP is fairly well done. ‘Destroy Them With Lazers’ has expectedly fun videogame reminiscent laser sounds, and ‘Internet Friends’ is a blast, with extremely catchy bass wobbles. Even ‘Tourniquet’ (despite sounding exactly like a Feed Me song with its stronger electro house feel) still hits hard. Throughout the EP, there is a sense that the songs could easily include rappers or singers, with rappers rapping alongside wobbles, and singers replacing synthesizers in the songs’ faux-choruses. The EP actually feels musical to some extent, which is uncommon in brostep. If Knife Party continue at this pace, creating a full album as solid as this, it could be excellent fun. As for now, 100% No Modern Talking breaks no ground, but it’s still pretty fun.

Jeremy Soule Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion SoundtrackRa Critical Mass
Gemini Syndrome LuxSirenia Perils of the Deep Blue
Rainbow (KR) Rainbow Syndrome Part. 2Part Myth Part Legend Almagest Codex
2.9
good
VaxXi (1.5)
The Day Rob Swire and Gareth McGrillen Died...

Rage Valley

Haunted House

It's free: http://soundcloud.com/knifepartyinc/sets/knife-party-100-no-modern

Deviant would hate it. :]

Can I bring a gun?

Digging: Viper the Rapper - You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack

December 14th 2011

Guns will be accepted. High-fives will also apply.

TMobotron
December 14th 2011

Part of me really fucking hates these dudes, but I've heard Internet Friends get dropped twice at huge shows and it is so fucking intense. Half of that song is about the most obnoxious thing ever though.

But I will admit this is a very, very guilty pleasure of mine. Sometimes I just can't say no to womps.

December 14th 2011

Totally agree, womps can be fun.

Deviant.
December 14th 2011

Heard it, hated it. It was really only a matter of time before these guys did this

Digging: LV and Joshua Idehen - Islands

21969 Comments

Will check out to annoy deviant

klap
December 14th 2011

some serious blog house up in this bitch. good for parties, not so good for listening

Digging: Cymbals Eat Guitars - LOSE

Emim

21969 Comments

^That was my first thought

Artwork looks pretty cool

December 15th 2011

To whoever keeps negging my reviews without explanation, I expect all of my future reviews to receive an automatic ghost neg from now on, otherwise I will assume that you are either sleeping on the job or have died. Sincerely, me.

Deviant.
December 15th 2011

In all fairness this is far from being a good review Pizza, sorry. The points you make and the way you go about describing them are about as generic as the music and that first sentence is terrible

Ovrot
December 15th 2011

This isn't an Apodiablosis review!

Acanthus
December 15th 2011

I'm sure this is fun at the club, just not meant for my laptop speakers.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

21969 Comments

this is actually really boring

December 15th 2011

"The points you make and the way you go about describing them are about as generic as the music and that first sentence is terrible"

Yeah, I thought generic descriptions would describe this generic music well. Also, you didn't just hate on my glorious first sentence. It isn't my best review though, you're right.

foreverendeared

lol'd

Tyrael

20885 Comments

Will check out to annoy deviant [2]

yeah, too bad it sucked

Also, what does this even mean:
as they womp each other

Digging: Darkspace - Dark Space III I

Acanthus

Featured!!!

"Also, what does this even mean:
as they womp each other"

I take it to mean trying to out womp the other.