Wolves Like Us
Late Love

by Greg Fisher STAFF
December 11th, 2011 | 26 replies | 8,400 views

Review Summary: On their debut album Wolves Like Us deliver a poignant take on sludge-induced modern hardcore.

With their debut album, Oslo-based Wolves Like Us display a refreshing take on modern hardcore. Instead of relying on trite post-hardcore formulas being filtered by countless acts these days, they are heavily influenced by the bands that pioneered the genre in the early 1990s. Late Love echoes the approach of such highly influential acts as Quicksand and Drive Like Jehu. Similarly to these outfits, Wolves Like Us rely on the sonic attack that revolves around a massive rhythm section comprised of fast, constantly pummeling drums and totally audible, thunderous bass riffs. What really sets them apart from their peers though is the inclination towards sludge metal being reflected in the sheer sonic heaviness of the entire disc.

On top of that is an entirely gruff vocal performance of Larsh Kristensen, a perfect antidote for all these whiny, high-pitched voices that saturate the scene. Kristensen has a penchant for crafting admirably angular, yet powerful melodies that not only superbly compose with the act's style, but also provide another curiously emotive dimension. This genuine emotional core the singer so skillfully builds with both his voice and lyrics might be the album's most substantial asset.

Another undeniable achievement of the band is that Let Love sounds fluid despite a wide array of influences on display. After a somewhat lackluster opener, “Deathless” bursts with controlled fury that mounts to an explosive finale. From that point on, the album gets only better. “Sin After Sin” slows down the pace with its sludgy undertones setting the stage for poignant vocals. “Secret Handshake” reveals the band's affection for alternative rock in melodious verses and a hook-driven chorus, while “Gone To Dust” emulates some of the most notable stoner rock outfits with its infectious groove. In fact, every single track is meticulously thought-out and has its own identity, which makes Let Love one of the most diverse records of the year.

Chevelle La GargolaElbow The Take Off And Landing Of Everything
Hark CrystallineNeneh Cherry Blank Project
St. Vincent St. VincentWolves Like Us Black Soul Choir

December 11th 2011

Just a quick write-up for one of my favorite heavy releases of the year.

Deathless:

Gone To Dust:

Digging: Floor - Oblation

CasinoColumbus
December 11th 2011

Yeah, listened to these guys 'cause they were touring with Kvelertak. I really liked Deathless, but it bored the shit out of me after that. I might need to give them a second chance though.

Nice and short review by the way.

December 11th 2011

Far from boring for me. The vocals are astounding on this. But, to each his own.

fish.

20249 Comments

Was gonna review this at one point but they ruined deathless and I lost interest

Digging: YG - My Krazy Life

December 11th 2011

The only track I don't like that much is Burns Like A Paper Rose. The rest is pretty much spot-on.

Inveigh
December 11th 2011

your write-up for this has me very interested. will try to d/l this tonight.

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

Inveigh
December 11th 2011

this is pretty great so far

December 12th 2011

Cool. The album is a grower. I'm totally addicted to it now.

BigHans

Deathless is pretty great

December 12th 2011

The whole album is amazing. Check it out.

Wizard
December 12th 2011

Ew, this sucked. Prosthetic Records put out like two great records over their entire existence.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

December 13th 2011

My taste in post-hardcore sucks then because I totally don't get the hype for other highly praised p-h releases on here. Btw, this record was recommended to me by some music journalist who stated it's a metallic version of Drive Like Jehu. So there are some other people aside from me who actually enjoy this blend of hardcore and sludge.

djunior
December 13th 2011

90's influenced? Sounds up my ally, I'll check it.

Digging: together PANGEA - Badillac

Wizard
December 13th 2011

Please don't call this sludge.

December 13th 2011

I'm not calling it sludge per se. I was only hinting at some influences of theirs.

Metalstyles
December 13th 2011

Nice review Greg but I'm in the same boat as CasinoColumbus, as I definitely liked what I heard on Deathless, but the album as a whole didn't do it for me.

December 13th 2011

Ah well. Glad you checked it out though. Thx.

Metalstyles
December 13th 2011

Yeah I looked into it back when it came out but wasn't too impressed. It wasn't straight-up bad or anything, just didn't cut it for me.

Jethro42

12058 Comments

Classic Greg review. Big pos. I'm allergic to everything called ''post hardcore'' but since you refered them to Therapy? I need to check it out.

December 13th 2011

Post Hardcore is actually my favorite out of all post-sth genres. I like it a lot if executed well. This obviously slays!