Childish Gambino
Camp

2.0
poor

by danielito19 USER (22 Reviews)
December 8th, 2011 | 41 replies

Review Summary: Glover should have stuck with acting.

Too bad Community is on hiatus; it means we’ll have to hear more of Donald Glover’s attempts at hip-hop. Although, having more time to spend on his hip-hop could be beneficial, as he could REALLY use the practice. Camp is his major label debut, and was hyped to extremes when released. NPR ran a stream and compared him to Kanye and Drake, among others. It’s received extensive radio play, and peaked at number eleven on the Billboard chart. On the other hand, Pitchfork reviewed it at 1.6. So, who do you believe? Is Pitchfork just full of haters?

Unfortunately for Childish Gambino, Pitchfork got something right (ish) this time. Camp, much like Watch The Throne, is a record plagued by indecisiveness. However, the comparisons stop there. Watch featured rappers who had a sense of flow, and enough good tracks that it was forgivable. Camp’s indecisiveness comes in the form of his multiple personae. He is a poor black kid going to white schools; a really nice, innocent guy; the toughest guy around; and only a rapper. That’s right, ONLY a rapper. Forget about the time spent doing stand-up or acting, you’re ONLY a rapper, Glover. Possibly the most prevalent aspect of his indecisiveness is that he switches personae everywhere. He changes it up far too frequently, and sometimes even mid-song. Whenever one of his personae is beginning to become believable in the slightest, he ruins it by pretending to be someone else.

Gambino does manage to sound somewhat different when he acts different, although this is inconsistent as well. His voice is very bright when he’s happy, and for much of his angry work, he still has this bright tone. However, the most infuriating thing about this is that he occasionally shows that he can sound legitimately angry (see parts of Backpackers). If he was incapable of losing the bright tone, this would be forgivable; however, it just comes off as lazy acting. His rapped hooks are also lazy. While having gospel hooks in every track would be overkill, they’d be more original than “It’s a bonfire, turn the lights out/ I’m burnin’ everything you mutha***as talk about.”

Gambino’s lyricism is the weakest part of the record, and keeping nicely with the theme of Camp, inconsistent. It seems like his only ambition is to pack as many “nerdy” pop culture references into every song as possible. Glover’s background as a comedian is quite dominant, and it really shows; his so-called “serious songs” like All The Shine are diluted by the asinine punchlines thrown in. The reference density would be forgivable, nay, even something to look forward to were his references actually well-executed. However, when he spits ““You're my favorite rapper now” Yeah, dude, I better be/ Or you can ***in’ kiss my ass, Human Centipede” it’s evident that his inane goal of stuffing every song to the brim only detracts from the quality. Most of his references are poorly tacked onto the end of a line in this fashion; “Made the beat then murdered it, Casey Anthony” and “Realest mother***er in the game like Tron, nigga” are two prime offenders. Besides his poor references, fatuous puns like “She's an overachiever/ All she do is suck seed” show that Glover’s comedy is better off as far away from Gambino’s rap as possible.

However, not everything about Camp is bad. As mentioned before, the gospel hooks are fantastic. Much of the album is self-produced, and Gambino not only pulls it off, but exceeds all expectations (discrepancies like Heartbeat and You See Me aside). He collaborated with Community composer Ludwig Goransson, and the two make excellent work of it. Gambino could easily make beats for other rappers and it’d sound great.

The catchy Gospel hooks and the above average production can’t begin to make up for Camp’s multitudinous flaws, however. Since he shows no signs of quitting rap, hopefully the shift of focus from Community results in better work from him in the future.

Mozart's Sister BeingGlenn Branca The Ascension
Seeker UnlovedUnwound Leaves Turn Inside You
Fucked Up David Comes to LifeStrung Out An American Paradox
Alvados222 (3)
'Camp' is the sound of an artist knowing what they to do, but not how they want to come across....

Ben Thornburgh CONTRIBUTOR (1.5)
*crickets*...

Point1 (3)
Filled with contradictions and unfulfilled promises, Childish Gambino's debut delivers on a far shal...

Nathan Flynn CONTRIBUTOR (3.5)
Donald Glover takes his time at "Camp" to do some serious evaluation, and he shares it all with his ...

December 8th 2011

Constructive criticism very much welcome. I'm not going to bother circumventing the profanity filter.

community isn't cancelled

December 8th 2011

I've heard numerous times that it was, and a google search when I was writing confirmed it.

It's on hiatus

Digging: Bobby Barnett - Little Wounds

yep

I'm very sad
I'm watching Season 2 on dvd and crying right now

December 8th 2011

*sigh* changing review to reflect this

December 8th 2011

you shouldn't have to change it much though... it works as a good lead and bringing it back into the review at the end works good for continuity's sake

good review btw

December 8th 2011

Thanks Waior. Are there any style issues or other errors I should know about?

Lucid
December 8th 2011

agree with this review most (obviously)

Thanks Lucidity.

captaincrunch11
December 8th 2011

Im so down with everything in this review.

Omaha
December 8th 2011

Great review, man. It does seem like it may read slightly higher, though

Thanks captain.

Really Omaha? I thought it read a little low haha. I basically trashed him until the penultimate paragraph.

Lots of 2s on here

just a third of the people who rated it 2

I counted

Omaha
December 8th 2011

Yeah that's true, I can see what you mean. I guess in the end, you make it sound like it's only average, but either way it makes sense. Potential .5 discrepancy isn't the type of deal I worry gravely over

December 9th 2011

Omaha you should spin this and tell me what you think, I'm interested in your opinion

i am liking this a lot

i can definitely see why people wouldn't though

Hep Kat