Big Chocolate
HiLion

2.0
poor

by oltnabrick USER (21 Reviews)
December 7th, 2011 | 27 replies | 4,396 views

Review Summary: Be warned: I'm going to be a cunt in this thread.

Earlier in this year Big Chocolate, released his 4th EP, “HiLion” imo. Tbh it is the follow up to last year’s EP, “I’m Shot”. On “HiLion” however Big Chocolate drops a lot of the dubstep heavy tracks like ‘Animal Face’ or ‘Bitches on My Money’ and goes for a more drum and bass oriented album imo it sucks hard. Don’t get me wrong there is still some dubstep in there, for example the title track and the re-worked track from “I’m Shot” ‘Praise 2011’, no offense but they suck. It makes the EP much more uninteresting and less in your face than “I’m Shot” imo. It is also obvious that Big Chocolate is creating his music in a different way than on the previous efforts he has put out imo. The production is much better and shows that he wants to make more clean and crisp sounding music but it still sucks imo.

Songs like ‘SunLove’ show that he is more than just your run of the mill EDM producer and is quite capable of making more relaxed songs that often times do not work with EDM producers but they still suck. However, Big Chocolate doesnt pull it off at all and tbh should be punished for it. ‘HiLion’ features rapper Grieves, who gives the track a very interesting take and makes it a stand out track imo i am an idiot. Grieves does the song a lot of injustice, it makes the track really "suck hard" and puts other dubstep/hip-hop collabos to shame jk no offense. The song ‘Eye This Way (both electro and drum and tbhass)’ are a sign that he is moving out of the dubstep territory and on to something special and more up tempo imo.

THE bass; It has a very crisp and sharp tone to it that you can recognize almost immediately after hearing it no offense. It is very raw sounding and isn’t all over the place or feels the need to stop the song when it appears, like a lot of dubstep seems to do these days tbh.

No offense but overall this is very shit. One of the worst albums from 2011 for sure and if you aren’t a fan of EDM you should not give this a try because it isn’t your typical album and it sucks. It offers a lot of crap and mundane things that a lot of dubstep and drum and bass artists don’t do tbh it sucks.