Whitehouse
Great White Death

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
December 6th, 2011 | 36 replies | 4,185 views

Release Date: 1985 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The perfect Power Electronics release

Whitehouse is a Power Electronics duo that originated in England in the 80's. Their sound has been described as practical terror being built into a song. Their subject matter is strange and frightening at the same time. Sadistic themes, child abuse, and sex are just a few of the lyrical variations Whitehouse offers. While for most this may seem extreme, the lyrics are nothing compared to the Music itself.

Their recordings are absolutely nuts. They are violent sounding, extremely harsh, and simple. Rabid strings of white noise, ear splitting screams, and downtuned bass pitches mixed with a fingernail scratching a long a chalkboard are just a few sounds Whitehouse can create. They also love experimentation. There's a 99% chance when you listen to a song off of Great White Death, or Whitehouse in general you will either feel extremely nervous, or shocked. Feeling surprised, and feeling jolted is a definite act Whitehouse will make as well. The music is most certainly the most extreme thing you will hear.

In total, there are 6 songs, which all relate to something explicit, or perverted. The first song 'Great White Death' is the shortest, and frankly the most boring. Out of the two minutes, the song just doesn't go anywhere. It's packed with frightening ambient textures, but the overall playthrough is just boring. 'Ass Destroyer' is awesome, and twisted. The coded themes of violence and insane vocals rip this song straight out the ball park. 'You Don't Have to Say please' and 'I'm Coming up your Ass' are absolutely vile, and corrupt. They both are the longest tracks on the album, and they both have a barely audible, quiet, and evil bass crawling on through the path of the song. 'Rapemaster' and 'We've Got the Power' are most likely filler. Both songs just don't feel like Power Electronics are influenced. Dark Ambient has more of a feel to it more than anything honestly.

So what you are left with are 6 songs, each delivering a scary and spine-chilling quality that each posses. For the most part, the tracks feel more disturbing than anything else. Noise is definitely a fraction added onto it, but the main proposition is leaned more towards the disturbance, and violent colored themes. Great White Death is pure chaos and beauty, all in one.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumVenetian Snares Doll Doll Doll

Mummy and Daddy

Cheesewireism
December 6th 2011

RYAN I WILL STRANGULATE YOU IF YOU DONT GET THE THERE/THEIR/THEY'RE RIGHT!!!!!

Goatlord

Fuck yeah, man.

Cheesewireism
December 6th 2011

"The coded themes of violence and insane vocals rip this song straight out the ball park"

out OF the ball park.

"'Ass Destroyer' is awesome"

dont be afraid to use a thesaurus to get rid of these 3rd grade words.

"they both have a barely audible, quiet"

same thing genius.

KjSwantko
December 6th 2011

I don't understand how you say 3 of the 6 songs either don't go anywhere or are filler, but still gave the album a 5.

Sounds interesting though, I'll check it out.

please stop reviewing

December 6th 2011

third paragraph is so bad

December 6th 2011

Honestly, I thought I was bad at reviewing, but holy shit.

*along a chalkboard

"The music is most certainly the most extreme thing you will hear."
Don't make predictions like this.

Structurally this is the best review of yours I've read. Have a POS for improvement.

Oh Omni, you old softy.

December 6th 2011

"'Rapemaster' and 'We've Got the Power' are most likely filler"

lol that fucking sentence sucks

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

yah. it's a 5 and they're "most likely" filler

it's a 5 but I have no idea what the album is about

it's a 5 but I can't give a good explanation why

it's a 5 but I heard this album a couple days ago

December 6th 2011

There was some great criticism on his last few reviews but the reviews were never corrected. I'm just glad to see some general improvement. You have the ability to read and edit these as many times as you want before you post them... I've never understood that. An overall unfavorable choice in written style is one thing but sentences that literally make no sense and misspelled words are something entirely different.

eternium

What a weird review.

it's a 5 but i'll actually listen to it tomorrow

December 6th 2011

My point being that I for once understood the point he was trying to make. I'll give the guy a pity
fuck for the effort.

December 6th 2011

it's a 5 and i label it the "perfect Power Electonics release"

......but 2 of the songs are boring filler