My Epic
Broken Voice

by Kyle Robinson USER (30 Reviews)
December 5th, 2011 | 15 replies | 4,898 views

Review Summary: My Epic offers much more to enjoy than a mere acoustic EP suggests.

My Epic's second album Yet was a surprise standout in 2010, as thoughtful as it was forceful. Boasting a much tighter and more memorable set of songs than their debut and a more original vision than the group's somewhat derivative post-hardcore EP, Yet succeeded in just about every respect. Not especially excited about minimalist acoustic strumming, I was disappointed when I learned that Broken Voice would be an acoustic EP rather than a full album.

But to my surprise, Broken Voice is every bit as worthy of one's attention as its predecessor. Even in an acoustic format the group excels at making songs that are musically interesting. Opening tracks “Centuries” and “Beloved” are moody and understated, but “Alone” quickly wakes up the listener with its methodical clapping and dynamic chorus. The addition of piano and strings gives the song an earthy quality while the lyrics recall the stark nature of songs like Yet's “Lower Still.” For a collection of outtakes the EP sounds remarkably consistent, and the overall style of the release (probably heavily inspired by Thrice's 'Earth' section of The Alchemy Index) doesn't feel too out of place for the band.

“Deathbed” is less ornate than the preceding song with only acoustic guitar to accompany the vocals, but fortunately the guitar is always interesting enough to make up for the rest of the band's absence. No chord-strumming here; instead, we are treated to carefully-picked melodies that sound simply beautiful. “Lazarus” is even better, with a warm and almost hopeful tone that's different from the minor-key stylings that dominate the other songs.

“Garden” is probably the most intimate song on the album, its lyrics stark and powerful regardless of whether one shares the group's Christian faith. The bridge makes a compelling case for the prettiest-sounding moment on the album. “Childbodybride” has an almost blues-inspired sound and electric guitar, but doesn't feel out of place and injects a bit of energy into the finishing stretch. “Doxology” is a nice take on the Christian hymn that brings the album to an appropriate close.

Few contemporary Christian artists can boast the raw creativity, musically and lyrically, of My Epic. The group's songwriting bears a stark, uncompromising quality that is leagues above the generic themes of similar artists. As this album continues to show, My Epic is a remarkably honest band, and the sentiments expressed by their music flow naturally from within rather than being shoehorned into the music to attract a certain crowd. The result is another record that anyone can enjoy regardless of their faith, which shows that My Epic is in their own league.

the pillows Little BustersThe Sundays Reading, Writing and Arithmetic
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart Days of AbandonAnamanaguchi Endless Fantasy
bloodthirsty butchers YouthAtma Weapon Dark Tower

Love this

Digging: FaltyDL - In The Wild

botb
December 6th 2011

band is incredible at everything they do.

crazyblinddude

Nice. Gotta get this.

ZilbelPing
December 6th 2011

I didn't know this was an acoustic EP.

Need to get this. I love both Yet and I Am Undone

Phideaux
December 6th 2011

Definitely want to check this out now. These guys are really great.

wacknizzle
December 7th 2011

This is great, yet there feels like there is something missing from this band. I'd say this ep is their most comfortable piece of work. Everything else seems to try to tackle to many different sounds ranging from heavy to chill but somehow doesn't quite work that well all the time. The standouts are wonderful.

Digging: Systems - Ghost Medicine

Aphrodisiac
December 7th 2011

Deviant liking this made my night

??

Aphrodisiac
December 7th 2011

Just a nice surprise that a staff member wouldn't write this off because of the lyrics

Xenophanes
December 7th 2011

This is nice, despite the complete disconnect between the lyrics and my beliefs

Digging: United Nations - The Next Four Years

Xenophanes
December 7th 2011

Typically indifferent towards this band though

December 7th 2011

We here at the Sputnik staff bureau are all card carrying church-goers

Eko
December 22nd 2011

didnt see this get posted, EP is my favorite thing this band has done by far

KotoFtw
October 3rd 2012

These guys are great. My friend played the slide on this album, I wish he would just go ahead and start a band already or be a permanent member of this band. Glad they decided to record another album.

ABjordanMM
April 15th 2013

Listening to this now. Very nice sounding.