Vomitory
Opus Mortis VIII

by Robert Garland CONTRIBUTOR (197 Reviews)
December 4th, 2011 | 89 replies | 4,408 views

Review Summary: Punishment reclaimed in blood. Vomitory’s ‘Opus Mortis VIII’ is yet another solid output.

As the years go by, consistency can be as much of pleasing factor as it can be a negative issue. Usually when there is no growth or progression from one effort to the next the same re-hashing of ideas lead to the listener’s disappointment. Fortunately for Vomitory’s eighth studio album, Opus Mortis VIII presents the listener with a highly solid and enjoyable effort. Naturally, comparisons will be made to their previous albums (especially those that are a little more recent; Carnage Euphoria, Terrorize Brutalize Sodomize) and while Opus Mortis VIII displays a lot of the stylistic choices of not only of the band's previous workings, but also of the genre as a whole. Whilst this is usually portrayed as a bad thing, rest assured that Vomitory simply does everything better. As listeners recognise the similarities between the albums, it’s also important to note the development (a sort of maturing) in the band’s overall sound.

Everything is what listeners’ can expect from an established vintage death metal band. Right off the bat, “Regorge In The Morgue” displays all of the traits that their fans enjoy. Hard hitting riffs, up tempo pummelling drum work and deep growls all join the fray establishing a solid and enjoyable listen.

Excellently consistent musical talent runs cohesively with an intelligent structuring of tracks that mixes in subtle changes to keep the music interesting. Setting Vomitory apart from their fellow “death metallers” is their ability to keep everything incredibly similar yet maintain the listeners’ attention throughout. To do this they combine catchy rhythm sections as well as the typical (and expected) traits of the genre adding interesting yet diverse leads to the music, slipping these leads under the onslaught of guitar riffage without overpowering the rest of the music. These thoughtful melodic sections add another layer to Vomitory’s music. One example of this can be found in the bridge/solo section of “They Will Burn”. The section is not an overdone by unnecessary amounts of flamboyant string wankery; rather climbing notes used with dissonant tones chime into the listeners’ ears drawing them in before hitting them hard with another return of your everyday Vomitory riffing. Put all this together and listeners’ here have a highlight.

Further displaying the band’s song writing talents comes the final track “Requiem To The Fallen”. This track is one of the faster songs on Opus Mortis VIII and an excellent end to the album. While the track is already fast paced, there is other features that add to this effect. The tremolo picking combined with double bass drum kick notes and even vocal phasing all ad to the faster felt tempo. However, contrast is even shown here. The tracks passages switch from the before mentioned tremolo sections to straight forward pounding riffs and blast beating phrases. Vomitory sho the listener that simple can be both effective and interesting.

The album is much of the same thing throughout its entity. Opus Mortis VIII is a no frills quality death metal record. Everything you can expect from a death metal act is here – The difference here is that it’s done at a higher level.

In Flames Siren CharmsMastodon Once More ‘Round the Sun
Mayhem Esoteric WarfareArchitects Lost Forever // Lost Together
Kauan PirutMiserable Failure Hope

December 4th 2011

Just realised I've done a couple of 2011 albums so far this year.

Ovrot

vomitory
m/

vomitory
m/

Voivod

Good review, pos.

Some suggestions:

and while Opus Mortis VIII displays a lot of the stylistic choices of not only their previous workings, but also of the genre.

rather climbing notes with dissonant tones chime into the listeners’ ears drawing them in before hitting them hard with another return to your everyday typical Vomitory riffing

these sentences don't read so well.

only it’s done at a higher level.

The difference is that it's done at a higher level.

Please separate the first and the second paragraph and proofread some more with respect to sentence flow and punctuation.

Digging: The Sabbathian - Ritual Rites

December 4th 2011

Thanks Vovoid, missed the formatting on that one, have you a suggestion for that section of writing? Thanks for the pos

Edit: Edited

Wizard

19383 Comments

What Voivod said, otherwise good review. Solid album, catchy as hell.

Digging: Mistigo Varggoth Darkestra - The Key to the Gates of the Apocalypse

December 4th 2011

Thanks Wiz, wish I could find some more stuff like this though.

Eclecticist
December 4th 2011

@Ipodmastery I feel like there is one user who always ghost neg's your reviews.

December 4th 2011

Music's not for me, but review was good.

Digging: Falls of Rauros - The Light That Dwells in Rotten Wood

December 4th 2011

Yeah, just raised that issue in the forums, normally it ouldn't bug me but I just worked 9, ten hour days in a row, so the fuse is a little shorter than it normally will be. I guess it stops me from building to big an ego though. Feel free to leave feedback anytime ghosties.

MO
December 4th 2011

Hears this was fairly average. I'll check it out.

December 4th 2011

To each their own mate, You pretty much get three choices:
-meh

December 4th 2011

I'm going with choice 4 - Behemoth.

December 4th 2011

lol, nice Acanthus, there you go again; re-writing the rule book.

December 4th 2011

Nah just decided that today I would actually listen to a full album, and now I'm playing
Demigod and Evangelion back to back; so far I prefer their newer sound but both are
enjoyable albums.

December 4th 2011

What, do you normally shuffle?

December 4th 2011

No, normally I go "Oh look, Behemoth! *youtubing away* ... wait a second, I've not heard this industrial band before!" and I forget all about my love for the deep growls.

Need moar growls!

Yes, moar are needed.

December 4th 2011

Currently going through Vader's EP's, some pretty good stuff there.