Chevelle
Hats Off to the Bull

by StlPaulL USER (2 Reviews)
December 4th, 2011 | 13 replies

Review Summary: I hope this "radio rock" is exactly that, perhaps I'll have a reason to turn on my radio.

Chevelle maintain a consistent allure with their latest offering. This is no revolutionary masterpiece, but musicians coming forth with a heartfelt effort that genuinely pays off, and is at the same time, quite accessible. I see the term "radio rock" being thrown around a lot with this band, and I'm not entirely sure what this is meant to entail. The tracks possess a momentum that only lets you rest when they decide. The production on this album is nice as well. Sure, all of the songs on here are short enough to be played on radio stations, but this album when listened to as a whole is a rather diverse package. Don't let such an ignorant generalization keep you from appreciating this band.

The one thing that will always hold Chevelle back from true greatness it seems, is the originality department. This album makes some seriously heavy nods to Tool. By this point, any Chevelle fan will know to expect this from our singer here, but even the guitarist and the bassist come in to lend a hand on our album here. This album kind of reminds me of a Tool that would have went on to become more mainstream after Undertow. Regardless of all of this though, the passion that these musicians express keeps all this from being a hindrance to the musical experience itself. Chevelle also seem to have mastered that "nu metal" angst but without the immaturity and monotony that most often comes with bands that possess this. The emotion expressed is always empathized with.

In regards to improvements on this album or lack there of, the most notable improvement is probably the precision the musicians showcase. I feel like this album can best be compared to "This Type of Thinking" the differences being more creative musicianship, and some much faster playing at parts, which is very refreshing. The acoustic song on here has promise but ends up sounding a bit more like an interlude than a real song. The middle eastern touch was very nice, it would be interesting to see them embrace that sound more. This is actually a much less experimental album, prioritizing consistency here [that song being the only exception really]. There is track or two were I felt my mind wander, but as a whole this is certainly an album worth giving a listen to for any Chevelle fan or anyone who can appreciate some good music.

TheVoiceAndTheSnake
December 4th 2011

Clones was the track I was looking forward to the most, based upon the the 30 sec sample I got

Totally underwhelmed me

December 4th 2011

Pretty decent review, good work. A little more detail on the actual sound and style of the band (i.e. rather than just "the production is nice") would improve the review though.

What songs are reminiscent of Tool? So I can go check them out right now.

StlPaulL
December 4th 2011

I tried to be as to the point as possible, but you're right, I could've been more detailed in that.

Listen to "Ruse". The similarity'll hit you like a brick in the face. Face to the Floor is similar to Prison Sex, well, Undertow generally.

December 4th 2011

Yeah you're right, the verse and bridge especially in "Ruse" have mega Tool-influence in them. It's pretty good.

fromtheinside
December 4th 2011

I really hate clones and I don't know why at this moment. I think the meddler may be the best thing they've ever done, but I'm not one to I
over exaggerate

Digging: Psicosis - The Crippled Machine That Moves the World

newjunkaesthetic93
December 4th 2011

This band has always really bored me. This is highly rated though so i must ask, could this album change my mind about them?

Relinquished
December 4th 2011

it's shouldn't be the highest rated. people already gave it high ratings and it's coming out in two days.

what have you listened from them?

fromtheinside
December 4th 2011

if you don't like this type of thinking you.won't like this. however, ironically enough, if you did enjoy ENOUGH of their previous albums you'll enjoy this

StlPaulL

She's right^

Chevelle has always been rather consistent in their sound, nothing outrageously different here. The differences from other albums are subtle, not so extreme as to change your opinion most likely.

Why not find out right now though?

jayfatha

This is the first Chevelle i've ever heard and it kinda rules

December 4th 2011

The only Chevelle i'd heard was like The Red and Send The Pain Below...which was boring and not good. But the 1 song I've heard off this album was a solid 3.5

PistolPete
December 5th 2011

This is the first Chevelle i've ever heard and it kinda rules

oh man there is a very large untapped discography you could look into by this band that i think you would enjoy if this is the first thing you've listened to by them

Digging: O'Brother - Garden Window

juiceviaorange
June 20th 2012

I completely agree with this review...I chuckled to myself after the Undertow comment because I had just said something similar to my friend in describing this album the other day, great stuff