Carissa's Wierd
Tucson

by Frederick Metzengerstein USER (202 Reviews)
November 27th, 2011 | 16 replies | 4,654 views

Review Summary: 7 minutes in heaven

Slowcore outfit Carrisa's Wierd disbanded in 2003 but return in 2011 with a delicious two track morsel entitled Tucson. First off, I have no idea what the fudge slowcore is supposed to mean but I will admit that it's kind of catchy. It rolls off the tongue real nice. Say it with me people. SLOOOOWWWWWCORRRREEE. Slowcore. It reminds me of Slowbro for some reason. The reason why I bring up this particularly enthralling genre tag is because it's what Seattle based indie group Carissa's Wierd is tagged as. Tucson is Carissa Wierd's first new material released in almost eight years and I must say they bring the goods.

Tucson has only two tracks and runs for about seven and a half minutes but in that brief time Carissa's Wierd create some creative, engaging music. Featuring an exceptional duel male/female vocal tradeoff, a sweeping violin and stirring guitar melodies, Tucson leaves a profound impact upon the listener. The fact that all of the original band members are still in place make for strong chemistry and cohesive songwriting.

The first track is Tucson which begins with a quiet guitar melody before Jenn Ghetto's beautiful voice and Sarah Standard's lavish violin enter. The song is melancholic yet optimistic, evolving from a dreamy alt rocking jam to a bonafide headbanger as the tempo and aggression rises for a moment. The dual vocals of Jenn and Mat Brooke trade off with one another splendidly before the violin and driving guitars close out the song in a dramatic fashion. Meredith & Iris is a slower ballad like number that once more capitalizes on the expressive vocals and violin of this formidable trio in addition to the underlying percussion and emotive guitar work of the other members.

Tucson is such a peaceful listen that it sucks that it ends so quickly. It ends so abruptly that you just want a few more songs. Gosh darnit! I hate appetizers. Both songs are pretty killer though and leave the impression that Carissa's Wierd are going to drop one heck of a record upon us sometime in 2012. Anyone unfamiliar with the band but enjoys listening to shoegaze/indie pop needs to hear this pronto. If you're already a Carissa's Wierd fan and haven't heard this yet then well get on the zazz train to zazzville.

So Hideous Last Poem/First Light13th Moon The Pale Spectre over the Worm
Theophany Time's End: Majora's Mask RemixedAt Dawn They Sleep Red Sun
Black Magick SS PanzerwitchMadonna True Blue

TRA LA LA LA

ShadowRemains

19431 Comments

oh no, harold!

here we go again, george!

November 27th 2011

I hope I still have these books somewhere locked away in the attic, the Wayside stories as well, those were also the shit.

pizzamachine
November 27th 2011

Heaven in a Balls summary? neg

Rev
November 27th 2011

Why would they name an album after such a terrible city?

November 27th 2011

If you noticed pizza, there should have been curse words but I not so sneakily substituted them for alternate campy words. Now, I must get back to Tebowing.

pizzamachine

Yeah I totes noticed.

TEBOW TIME

North0House2
November 28th 2011

Bueno band. Didn't know they released this.
I've got some good memories in Tucson.

Digging: Horseback - Piedmont Apocrypha

November 28th 2011

need a new album this is like gobbling 4 mini pancakes when you haven't eaten in 8 hours.

Skimaskcheck
November 28th 2011

Slowcore. It reminds me of Slowbro for some reason.

hahaha

new Carissa's Wierd, awesome

November 28th 2011

I bought this a while ago. Consider me disappointed. They sound...too happy. I that makes any sense.

Balls, you hadn't heard of 'slowcore'? Carissa's Wierd are like the cult band in that genre.

InAbsentia
November 28th 2011

Strangely, I prefer Ghetto's solo project, "S".

November 28th 2011

S is great, but only the first album. But funny enough the best S track is on Carissa's Wierd' 'Songs About Leaving': So You Wanna Be A Superhero.

Really? Really

far from it

Right on it.

November 28th 2011

I know the term just dont know what the fuck it is.

November 28th 2011

Slow and sad pretty much covers it. The alternate term is 'sadcore" for a reason.