Bhang Khang
2011 Demo

by Brandon Scott USER (101 Reviews)
November 26th, 2011 | 26 replies | 3,057 views

As recent years have seen a boom in punk and hardcore influenced black metal it was really only a matter of time before grim face-painted warriors of darkness began to dabble in one of hardcore's most aggressive forms, powerviolence. This is where the United States based Bhang Khang come in - formed just this year, the group to date has only a single demo to their name but their extremely tight performance coupled with obvious compositional talent easily makes it one of the best [demos] released this year.

While powerviolence and black metal play a much more prevalent role in Bhang Khang's sound the band does occasionally slow it down for a heavy, trudging sludge breakdown, adding even more depth to Bhang Khang's sonic stew. The juxtaposition of the band's central genres is displayed rather cleverly in a diverse array of ways here, sometimes showing the two existing within a single riff and other times with a more clear-cut separation. Overall they are balanced quite nicely, and with sludge's slow paced, bass laced crawl breaking up the blinding speed of PV and BM, the album avoids a certain monotony while also lending towards its overall longevity. In only a ten minute span a listen to Bhang Khang's 2011 Demo is definitely a bang worth its buck and should definitely be explored by anyone who listens to hardcore, black metal and/or fancies a combination of the two.

Black Beasts IIAzarath Blasphemers' Maledictions
Doth Datura WrightiiCara Neir Sublimation Therapy
Asphyx The RackOf Mice and Men The Flood
3.3

November 26th 2011

Really short review for a really short demo

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

Vesper
November 26th 2011

Listening to this right now. :]

November 26th 2011

This makes me happy :] I Can always trust you Vesper!

LordOfAlexandria
November 26th 2011

A solid 10 minutes. Know where I can buy this?

Tyrael

20713 Comments

This sounds amazing

WANT

November 26th 2011

I just noticed a few errors but I'm on my phone right now so ill change them later. I'm not sure where you can buy this and yes you should get this Ty

MisterSteel
November 26th 2011

Review has me sold, gonna go find this now.

sifFlammable
November 26th 2011

ching chang ching chang chong

Good review.

spanks dude

Vesper
November 26th 2011

Just realized these guys broke up in May... solid demo, though.

Also, what's up with them being non-Asian dudes from Baton Rouge with some kind of South Asian band name and Japanese text on their cover? I don't geddit, hahaha.

AngelofDeath
November 26th 2011

Yeah, the band name sounds Thai, but they have Japanese on the cover. Go figure.

seedofnothing
November 26th 2011

"their extremely tight performance coupled with obvious compositional talent easily makes it one of
the best [demos] released this year"

i hope this wording doesn't let me down

also very nice review, and although very short, i would have liked to have seen it broken up into
about 3 paragraphs

other than that, pos, because your clear and concise

November 26th 2011

thanks mang, next review will be longer

seedofnothing
November 26th 2011

"next review will be longer"

length was actually perfect, i don't know about most of the other peeps, but I personally like really short and to the point reviews

November 26th 2011

Well I'm glad that wasn't an issue, shorter reviews tend to get panned hardcore here although I dunno why really, they can be just as effective. Plus an album like this doesn't need anything more than this anyway really

sifFlammable
November 26th 2011

wait a minute so ur ok with the length, but you want this length to be divided into 3 paragraphs

November 27th 2011

i was wondering about that myself

rasputin
November 27th 2011

yeah i would divide that up, if not three at least into two

November 27th 2011

divided the only way i really think it would work