Ea
Ea II

good

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
November 23rd, 2011 | 18 replies | 2,318 views

Russia’s Ea are buried beneath a dark and cosmic veil, one which separates the band from reality through their mysterious and inexplicable music. Now don’t get me wrong, this is all quite exciting - but what are Ea really? Yes, that’s right; they’re just another funeral doom band. I’m not one to be fazed by the hordes of funeral doom groups pandering to the tenets of consumerism, but it is a teensy weensy bit irritating when a band seems to earn a reputation purely based on their obscurity, which is, in my opinion, mostly manufactured. However, let me change my tack here for a second – Ea are quite good. Their second album, appropriately named Ea II, consists of two untitled funeral dirges, which flow in and out of depressing soundscapes, tranquil ambiance and monolithic turmoil. But really, it’s not that amazing, and it’s not hugely notable in terms of the entire genre, so in that respect I’m left a little disappointed when hearing the band for the first time after being dragged a little down the line by the hype train.

The one thing Ea certainly have all figured out is constructing a fluid and enveloping atmosphere – the hum of synth, background choirs, saturating riffs, piano interludes, all of which collude and provide a snug cushion for the mournful lead guitar and the guttural vocals. Ea may be from Russia, but they’re far more appropriately compared with Finnish bands such as Colosseum, Shape of Despair, or, to a far lesser extent, funeral doom legends Skepticism. In fact, the more the band steep themselves in contemporary funeral doom lore and further away from the inventiveness and innovation of bands like Skepticism, the more critical I become – we’ve just heard all of this before. And that’s what the real ‘X-factor’ is here – if you want some epic, glacial funeral doom that you can pore over, Ea will provide only temporary relief. While I know for sure that albums like Farmakon will be still on my general playlists in the future, Ea II will probably not, despite the fact their brand of ‘accessible’ funeral doom washes over the listener with remarkable ease.

Undoubtedly, the composition here is very good - the term ‘epic’ does not even begin to describe it. Each track begins slowly and churns through heart-wrenching and mind-melting movements. Both tracks certainly have their moments, and while I am picky when it comes to my doom, Ea II is certainly well-constructed and enjoyable. What irks me the most though is that despite the band’s talent, the only thing that separates them from the majority of other funeral doom acts is the fact that nothing is known about them, and this sense of obscurity makes them just that little bit more sought after. It must be noted though that Ea are from Russia, and this is rather significant – you could expect something like this from Finland, but coming from Russia, which along with many other Eastern European countries is awash with generic and trite doom of all kinds, is certainly surprising. Perhaps in the Russian scene, Ea are paving the way for a newer, more mature contemporary style, but in an overall perspective, Ea get their doom on for two doomy tracks, and leave the listener a little more doomed than they were before. But this is definitely not the end of the world kind of doom, and these days it’s hard to settle for any less.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy
Crimson (4.5)
one of the best modern examples of truly atmospheric Doom Metal...

Ea Taesse

Au Ellai

written early 2010

really like this review, but it was hard to give it a rating. I enjoy the record but it bothers me in a lot of respects. it's probably something like a 3.3/5, and I was going to round up but a reread made me decide not to - there''s a touch more criticism than praise.

DDconjoined
November 23rd 2011

ahh this reminds me of the late great Crimson. pos'd

cheers bruz

kitsch

hey man whats up

nifty review

Wizard
November 23rd 2011

Damn I'm loving your flood of reviews on this site, steer the children in the right direction!!!

This sounds good.

Crysis

review isn't slow enough

Digging: Tiamat - Wildhoney

November 23rd 2011

this is far from the best

it's not even ea's best

Don't tell him Berk

their best is

November 23rd 2011

Sorry man. Rasp doesn't go to college. You got no idea.

college is for suckers

eternium
November 23rd 2011

I feel like I would enjoy this.

Digging: Thou - Heathen

November 24th 2011

i like this more than you but i do agree with the review. i could just eat up funeral doom like this forever so the "done before"-ness doesn't bother me quite that much.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

hi riff!! :]

Counterfeit

E-A SPORTS

ITS IN THE GAME

November 24th 2011

even in the darkest depths of funeral doom youre the light that guides me :]

awwwww!! you make noctus blush and giggle! :]