Hybrid (UK)
Wide Angle

by Ryan W. USER (25 Reviews)
November 22nd, 2011 | 71 replies

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Hybrid's debut just gives the listener a glimpse to what Hybrid really has in store for us in the future.

Groups like Hybrid have managed to place a flagpole into the ground and literally mark there territory. For such a long time now, the trio have remained very consistent on every release they have created. Without going to overboard, they have provided the listener with beautiful atmospheres, unimaginative basslines, and gorgeous vocals. Most if not all of there tracks creatively mastered up rely heavily on wicked Breaks, and seemingly energy flash strobe lights spazzing out left and right. Along with a very good influence tagging along from the Orchestral field, the instruments such as the violin and Saxophone are the groups easily most prized possession. The maturity level in the creativity of the equipment is practically unfathomable. All of these instruments aren't just found on Wide Angle, practically all of Hybrids albums are loaded with the Orchestra, and lengthy but not overused synths.

All of what explained above also is found on Wide Angle. A long with the wicked amounts of publicity this band has. Over the past ten years the trio has been praised for there robust participation in car commercials, and old school video games. Car commericals like the Saab 9-3 is layered out with a modified version of the orchestral song of "I Know." "Final Symphony" has been featured many times, solely in video games. Games like SSX Tricky, Juiced, and Top Gear feature the emotional roller coaster of what is known as "Finished Symphony" itself. I don't know about you all, but I think "Finished Symphony" is most certainly Hybrid's signature track.

The main female vocalist, Lee Mullins provides so much emotion and intense joy, that even the album itself just can't contain with it. Her lyrics, and voice in general moves a soul into thinking " I can get out, I know I can". " I need to believe in myself." "This is out of control." But what is so special and neat about her lyrics is that they are varied. She doesn't just ramble on about her recent breakup or any relationship problems at all for that matter, instead she actually draws a voice inside of you. A voice telling you to get out of where you are, or to re evaluate your life in general. Most likely it will shine a bright beam straight into your heart, that really moves you. An MC is featured too. Soon E MC is a killer dude who packs a cool voice and french spoken lyrics, all found in "Sinequenon." That by itself makes the song a lot more relaxing, and chilling. But between Mullins and E MC, they are both excellent vocalist who are sure of providing more and more immense delivery as time progresses.

The atmosphere and delivery are a plus. "If I Survive" is the albums beginning, which is very strong. With moving lyrics, and intense breaks, surviving the song maybe a struggle. "I Know" is one of my favorites from Wide Angle. The song starts off with a quiet and high pitched bassline, tugging along to a sexy violin played out. The lyrics are a major plus, nailing you to basically move forward, and forget about who or what you used to be. "Beachcoma" is another one of my favorites. The highly emotional state played out by the Saxophone is incredible. Many textures are layered out. Various basslines, and pads are a truly amazing effort played out. The piano of the song is the best. Seven or Eight fast piano chords drive the melody literally past Venus, and engulf the listener. Songs like "Dreaming Your Dreams" and "Theme from Wide Angle" are the fired up ones. The fierce basslines and whack bee-like sounds are a prominent spot on the two songs.

But the rest of the songs just can't pair up to the 9 minute epic "Finished Symphony." The track begins with quiet ambient, then slowly progresses into the actual symphony itself. After a while, the tune launches, and is soaked in with a killer deformed clap hitting every second or two. An added touching high pitched violin/viola is paired up inside as well. Halfway through the song, it quiets down for a little bit, and is eased off with atmospheric textures. Soon then the song begins yet again, and plays another half of the epic orchestra/symphony. Once that is finished the song is zoned out to the quiet ambient, and then settles down to end.

But overall, this is a magnificent debut from Hybrid. Many journeys, and pathways are found in the release. There is so much to be explored. Everything somehow finds it way into settling peacefully, and eases its way on over and eats away for 6-9 minutes flat. The vocals, lyrics, and variation here are beyond a plus. This honestly is one of the most gratifying and moving albums I've ever heard of.

Napalm Death From Enslavement to ObliterationBloodhound Gang Hooray For Boobies
Current 93 All the Pretty Little HorsesMudvayne Mudvayne
Napalm Death ScumVenetian Snares Doll Doll Doll
4.3
Bassist540 (5)
A+...

Disappear Here

November 22nd 2011

*their, not there (you do this throughout the review), and should be marked not mark

Every release contradicts for such a long time

Without going to overboard,

*too

Again, their not there. Also this doesn't make sense like you have words missing

and seemingly energy flash strobe lights spazzing out left and right.

Same with this

the instruments such as the violin and Saxophone

Lose "the" before instruments, and there's no need to cap Saxaphone

all of Hybrids albums are loaded with the Orchestra,

This reads as if the Orchestra is some kind of band. Orchestral arrangements or the like would suit you much better

All of what explained above also is found on Wide Angle.

*is* explained

A long with the wicked amounts of publicity this band has.

*along + broken sentence

This is terribly written. It should read: "Car commercials, like the Saab 9-3 are layered with modified versions of the song 'I Know'."

have yet to read the rest of the review yet

Digging: Hyperdub - Hyperdub 10.4

Restrikted

good jesus

November 22nd 2011

This is one speech, so there's no need to separate every sentence with speech marks. And to be honest, replace the periods with comma's

An MC is featured too.

attach this to a sentence because it doesn't work on its own

surviving the song maybe a struggle.

*may be

nailing you to basically move forward,

wut

make this one sentence

whack bee-like sounds

Sup Fred Durst

The track begins with quiet ambient,

*a quiet ambiance

and is soaked in with a killer deformed clap hitting every second or two.

So, the beat?

But overall,

But? You've talked this album up since word one, there's no negativity here to negate or rebuff

omg

Digging: Throwing Muses - Throwing Muses

porch
November 22nd 2011

you should actually go back and fix the errors deviant pointed out. it'd be worth your while to open a book on basic grammar/sentence structure as well. normally a few mistakes wouldn't matter but most of your reviews make no fucking sense and it's in your best interests to be able to communicate basic information

Seven or Eight fast piano chords drive the melody literally past Venus

no, the melody did not fly past venus

best album ever

Yotimi
November 23rd 2011

my version is called Wider Angle. Same album?

Digging: Sand Circles - Motor City

November 23rd 2011

think its the same, just includes a live set as well

November 24th 2011

Special edition

mindleviticus
June 21st 2012

Wider angle includes remixes and stuff.

Fucking masterpiece.

Yotimi
June 22nd 2012

wish I could get into this. just ain't my style

u suk

June 22nd 2012

It's probably one of the best breaks albums ever made, outside of Adam Freeland's Coastal Breaks comps

ThroneOfAgony

finished symphony is beautiful

ssx

Digging: Taj Mahal Travellers - August 1974

julee cruise

March 8th 2013

whoa a 4.5 damn kill I did NOT see that comin!

oops ur right this isnt death metal 2.5/5

March 8th 2013

is this your highest rated electro onic alb?????????

March 8th 2013

im sure the obv trip hop classics i have rated 4.5 and stuff like that but yea i love this shit, been jammin finished symphony since i was like 7