Paragon Impure
To Gaius

good

by Please repent USER (4 Reviews)
November 21st, 2011 | 5 replies | 1,492 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A raw black metal album that delivers on all aspects.

This is Paragon Impure's first and only full-length, since the band is now defunct. The core of the sound is raw black metal. However, "To Gaius!" achieves an interesting sound with the same tools other bands fail to impress. I have seen many people refer to the riffs found herein as hypnotic but this is far from the truth. The album manages to sound aggressive and dynamic, seemingly always pushing forward. If one was to project the sound of this album in space, to appear as a movement, it would fall somewhere between a descend into a dark tunnel or the process of tearing down one brick wall after another. It does blatantly nothing to explore new territory in the black metal genre and yet it keeps the attention of any listener who is willing to dwell into it's simple but practical compositions (something that can also be attributed to it's relatively short length, clocking in at a little less than 30 minutes).

3.3

Oathbreaker
November 21st 2011

I was bored so I wrote a review. But it came out veeeeeery small cause there's not too many things to say. I didn't wanna go into "The vocals sound like this, the drums sound like this, the lyrics deal with this, etc" territory.
So yeah, the vocals are raspy, the guitars are raw, the drumming is at the very least interesting and the lyrics deal with Gaius' life.

EDIT: Laughing at how small the review looks, might as well had made it a soundoff.

seedofnothing
November 21st 2011

"might as well had made it a soundoff"

not necessarily, usually soundoffs are overlooked on this site

"seemingly always pushing forward"

I like the use of this terminology^

good review. short and sweet. iv heard the first two tracks already. ill def be finishing the rest of it. i think i would agree with your rating. so far sounds like 3-3.5/5 rating

thank you for sharing and getting straight to the piont with your review

pos

zaruyache
November 21st 2011

For really obscure stuff with few ratings I'd rather read a one-paragraph blurb than know absolutely nothing about the group. So yeah.

Digging: Sunwolf - Beholden To Nothing And No One

TheSpirit
November 22nd 2011

Great album and tight review! Surprised to see this getting some attention but it's well deserved.

Digging: vhmnt / blsphm - vhmnt / blsphm

Oathbreaker
November 22nd 2011

Thanks a lot guys. I usually just review stuff that could use some attention here.