Real Estate
Days

by Lucid CONTRIBUTOR (17 Reviews)
November 17th, 2011 | 15 replies

Let me begin with a confession: I’m a little threatened by happy albums. Not necessarily ones that preach optimism but ones that are content to immerse in complete satisfaction without an opposing undercurrent. I’m always looking for some recognition of sadness or disappointment in albums that otherwise convey positivity – maybe that says more about my skepticism than anything else, but it’s an aspect that I find to be an essential draw. My first play of Days involved a great deal of searching, what with its breezy, sun-soaked indie rock and reassuringly warm vocals. And I came up with nothing: the reminiscence was blissful, the longing hopeful, the memories comforting. Surprisingly though, I found myself at complete peace, letting go of reservations and receiving its embrace willingly. It’s the kind of album that makes me wonder how much more we could get out of music if we could let go of expectations from the first play.

“Back when we had it so easy / I would surrender completely.”

Days captures the feeling of a summer daydream with effortless ease. The approach is appropriately set out from the opening track: circular, fluid riffs weave around steady drum patterns, forming a cushioning layer for warm vocal melodies to float upon. This premise is diffracted onto the following nine tracks with concern towards execution rather than variety; chords change and tempos differ, but the atmosphere remains laidback and unimposing, extending a hand towards the listener but never forcefully enveloping them. It is this courtesy that makes the album so easy to befriend, and likewise, so easy to return to in the fitting mood. Furthering the appeal are the lyrical thoughts that drift on the border between conscious awareness and subconscious loss, mirroring the faded recollection after a drawn-out daydream. These are classic, sentimental lines that fit comfortably within the nostalgic atmosphere. When it comes down to it, Days is worth as much as you are willing to surrender to its aesthetic. Its endearing simplicity is coupled with an inviting warmth that I see myself returning to for years to come. It’s all about easing your reservations and allowing yourself to be swept away.

Arcade Fire ReflektorCrash of Rhinos Knots
Fiona Apple The Idler Wheel...Deafheaven Sunbather
Mark Kozelek & Jimmy Lavalle Perils from the SeaPanda Bear Tomboy
Sam Feldman's Rating (4)
we're lost...

kane (4)

Blair Chopin (4)
Life. Death. Real Estate....

Lucid
November 17th 2011

Don't make your 2011 lists without listening to this.

gaslightanthem
November 17th 2011

there's something about this record
it sure does get me swinging

KotoFtw
November 17th 2011

Good review man, though it was a little short. Pos'd for sure.

gaslightanthem
November 17th 2011

didn't my review tell ya that much sammy

mallen-

damn this sounds awesome

psykonaut

great record y'all

Lucid

top 10 of the year, slots in right after my 4.5s

Drsmith4
November 18th 2011

god knows I need something lighthearted about now. gonna give this a listen on spotify.

Tyrael

20946 Comments

LUCIDITY FOR CONTRIB 2012

Digging: Azealia Banks - Broke With Expensive Taste

clercqie
November 18th 2011

Great album for relaxing. It has a real summery feel to it, although it's almost winter now - funny : )

Digging: Recondite - Iffy

Aids
November 18th 2011

awesome review Ali. I just got around to downloading this but I anticipate greatness.

you seriously should review more.

Digging: Taylor Swift - 1989

November 18th 2011

Ali: I really do love your writing style, dude. You're a very articulate and informative writer, my only gripe with this particular review is that there simply isn't enough. Much like Sam's, I'd like to see additional paragraphs further describing the album, and I find that in reading something like this I'm ultimately left wanting more when it's finished. But that's just another way of saying I want to read more from you because you're good at this reviewing thing :P Pos!

Ps: Please start writing more =D

Rev

Good review mane

Album's pretty sweet

AliW1993
November 18th 2011

I didn't think this was anything special but I like the kind of vibe it had going.

Polymath
November 18th 2011

Still one of my faves of the year soooon. This review is slamming Ali, well done. No one listens to my recs anymore At least you do bbz.