65daysofstatic
Silent Running

by Eli Kleman EMERITUS
November 15th, 2011 | 53 replies | 13,928 views

Review Summary: 65daysofstatic are at the top of their game on "Silent Running," crafting a visceral and evocative post-rock record that stands as a brilliant moment in their storied career.

Oh how many a post-rock fan has yearned for the once spacy, dramatic, and sensational music of 65daysofstatic. They’ve been somewhat absent you see, gallivanting around with sounds and styles most foreign and peculiar. Why yes, they’ve treated us with the excellent, albeit disjointed We Were Exploding Anyway, as well as the follow up, Heavy Sky EP, each record great in its own way. As wonderful as these were, they displayed a different kind of band-a band that found comfort in experimentation, and solace in breaking barriers. They’ve been shedding their post-rock aesthetic ever since their debut, The Fall of Math, letting an “electronic” sound become predominant, and their rock influences become rare. They’ve always masterfully executed the two styles, but seldom have they ever found a beautiful, cohesive balance. Enter Silent Running, the perfect realization of everything 65daysofstatic has been working towards, and a fantastic album over all.

Silent Running is the first time in a long time that the members of 65daysofstatic have shown themselves to be at the top of the post-rock food chain. Once heralded as one of the genre’s behemoths, the band has since shied away from the limelight, choosing instead to do their own thing. This album, though, sees them returning to the sound that once captivated an entire music community. It hearkens back to the rocky, explosive feeling of The Fall of Math, whilst taking cues from the dance-y, more up-beat electronic We Were Exploding Anyway. It is both beautiful and complex; an album that feels fresh and unique, rather than being steeped in the tepid stew of post-rock conventions.

Yet it isn’t the return to form that makes Silent Running such an engaging listen, but rather, it is the exceptional performance by the band coupled with the superb songwriting. Once more, 65daysofstatic have shown why they’re one of the best bands around for pertinent builds and climaxes. Never over used, the explosive finales are a treasure, simmering for just the right amount of time before bursting into a torrent of visceral sights and sounds. Few bands really nail it like this, and it’s but one of the many types of captivating moments to be found on Silent Running.

The album is a suite of sorts, and the songs flow together seamlessly. While there are odd, interlude-like tracks that wear themselves thin, such as “The Scattered Disk,” the majority of Silent Running is filler free. Surprising, in that is an off the cuff, fan funded soundtrack. Yet the cohesive nature of the album is truly marvelous. The lovely, ambient “Burial Scene” is a perfect way point, while the exuberant and chaotic “Space Montage” serves as one last, explosive discourse. The way the band has implemented the near tired usage of keys is to be commended as well, being a pleasant additive, rather than a flimsy stab at profundity. The electronic elements here are far less sanguine and dance oriented, being used to compliment the already excellent post-rock foundation. They’ve found a very happy medium, and each of the album’s exceptional tracks is all the better for it.

65daysofstatic have had an interesting career to say the least, challenging not only their listeners, but themselves as well. Their latest is an album that is undeniably pure 65daysofstatic; an exceptional outing that sees the band amalgamate everything from their past into one, beautifully presented package. While Silent Running may not be the most profound statements that the band has ever made, it is certainly one of the most amiable.

Saintseneca Dark ArcHave A Nice Life The Unnatural World
Thee Silver Mount Zion Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light on EverythingFell Voices Regnum Saturni
Hammock Oblivion HymnsMount Eerie Pre-Human Ideas
3.3

November 15th 2011

Obvious review is obvious.

Digging: Saintseneca - Dark Arc

Deviant.
November 15th 2011

This is the last review of yours I plan on reading for some time

Digging: L'Orange - The Orchid Days

November 15th 2011

This is the last one I plan on reviewing for some time. I'm tapped out, 2011 is going to be a downhill slope form here on out. Just trying to post the things I want to before I go into hibernation mode and stop posting for a long time. It happens you know : P

letsgofishing
November 15th 2011

Seems like I was one of the few fans who really liked their last one. Looking forward to checking this out.

Ace review as always.

Rev

birthday review!

pos man, gonna check this out

crazyblinddude
November 16th 2011

Was waiting for some one to review this since the other day when it came out ha. Nice job man!

pizzamachine
November 16th 2011

I'm already convinced to check this out 'cause of the album cover. Great review.

twlichty
November 16th 2011

holy crap i had no idea they were releasing an album this year. gotta check this out

Digging: Lusine - A Certain Distance

Bloodbirds
November 16th 2011

If I am listening to this band for the fist time, would this be a good place to start ?

GodL1ke
November 16th 2011

great review man, love this band. gonna check it out

Tyrael

20394 Comments

Want this so hard.

Stellar review Eli! Pos.

Digging: Lantlos - Melting Sun

crazyblinddude

@Blookdbirds

Try We Were Exploding Anyway as an intro the the band's style. Then if you like that style, try The Fall of Math as that is them at their "mathiest."

scissorlocked
November 16th 2011

Xeno on hibernation mode? does this ever happen?

solid review- will check this soon

Digging: Fantastic Mr Fox - Sketches

geng

1986 Comments

How did I not know that 65dos had a new album out? Need to check this out asap.

MO
November 16th 2011

never got into these guys, I'll have to change that

Digging: Soundtrack - Turok 2: Seeds of Evil OST

HenchmanOfSanta
November 16th 2011

Totally forgot this was coming out. I love 65dos. Downloading now.

Aids
November 16th 2011

great review. I still need to try this band out I bet I would lurve them.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

ShousoStrip
November 16th 2011

Should I give this band another try? I was very unimpressed with One Time For All Time and The Fall of Math. Rated them 2 each, and I'm an easy giver of 5s!

@Blookdbirds

Sorry man, I like you and all, but this is a pretty bad rec imo. I would definitely start from the beginning and work my way up their discog. While WWEA was awesome, it's least like anything they've done before.

Yeah this is like my 3rd favorite 65Dos