Seahaven
Winter Forever

2.0
poor

by Matthew D. French USER (50 Reviews)
November 15th, 2011 | 148 replies | 13,954 views

Review Summary: Uniformly bland.

Seahaven’s Ghost EP was a moderately enjoyable listen littered with sub-par guitar melodies, gravelly vocals, and juvenile themes. Still, it felt like an honest evocation of emotion rather than a facile attempt to be something it wasn’t, resulting in an inoffensive introductory for the band. It stands to reason, then, that Seahaven would have taken the constituent parts of Ghost - the introverted post-punk experimentation, the angsty post-hardcore vocals, the folksy indie-rock moments - and focused on interspersing them in a more cohesive and invigorating fashion on Winter Forever. But they didn’t. Quite the contrary; Winter Forever sees any authenticity or aesthetic merits the band once had reduced to the bare minimum, stripping them of jubilation and honesty.

Here’s the thing - from front to back, Winter Forever is uniformly bland. Vocalist Kyle Soto sounds the same on every single song, refusing to branch out and dabble into his post-hardcore sensibilities and instead choosing to play it safe. An ineffective utilization of idiosyncratic vocals mars the potentially decent opener (as well as most other tracks). “Goodnight” immediately illustrates the stark contrast to their EP’s sound with softened and polished - but ultimately lifeless - vocals. The bass and electric guitars have great prominence (the latter occasionally enters with ethereal melodies) but the chorus is one of the most boring and by-the-book the band has ever put its name to. The worst part is, far be it from being enjoyable in any capacity, the first song is a damn sight better than the atrocities that proceed it. Every song is inundated with piss-poor indie-punk vocals and follows the same structure as “Goodnight”. Essentially, the remaining 9 tracks are just rehashed ideas - distressingly boring and mind-numbingly stupid at points. “Drag me out into the rain/Tell me all about the pain I’ve been causing/And the way it all makes sense with the weather” whines Soto to no avail on “Slow Down”. Not only is it the album’s most cringe-worthy chorus, but it’s one of the most embarrassingly juvenile things you’ll hear all year. The next five tracks blow by; they accomplish nothing, follow the prototypical verse/chorus layout and lack any sense of emotional awareness. “Honey Bee” is a completely unconvincing acoustic track, stripped of all but Soto’s grating voice and an occasionally strummed acoustic guitar. It’s only on “PV” that Soto sounds like he isn’t feigning emotion -- it’s certainly refreshing, maybe even a little fun, but it doesn’t challenge the most enjoyable moments of Ghost.

Despite “PV” imparting a warmer tone via Soto’s surprisingly decent vocal inflection, Winter Forever has no heart or soul. Everything seems so manufactured, so stripped of Ghost’s resolutely emotional core that it just comes off as dishonest - something it isn’t. And when Winter Forever does hit the mark (few and far-between as these moments are) it’s usually because of the strength of its guitar melodies, which alone aren’t enough to save most songs from being unmitigated disasters. Moreover, any potential the band showcases here inevitably falls victim to drab, spiritless wails and repetitive songwriting. The bookends are the only songs that don’t blatantly suck, and everything in-between is better left behind.

Sadistik Flowers For My FatherFoals Holy Fire
Lindstrom SmalhansFrank Ocean Channel Orange
The Antlers Burst ApartSoulsavers The Light The Dead See
3.3

November 15th 2011

I'm in the minority here so hopefully I don't get flamed. This album just wasn't doing it for me, guys =/

November 15th 2011

Haha, that's to be expected given that the next lowest rating after mine is a 3 :P

accompliceofmydeath
November 15th 2011

Negged for disagreeing with me.

Digging: Crowbar - Crowbar

Aids
November 15th 2011

this is a good review. I don't know if I want to check this out or not. I may.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Thanks. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUiUbRHf8M

cvlts
November 15th 2011

never heard of these guys. review will convince me to stay away but seeing them in two days with TA. we'll see...

Digging: Pedro the Lion - It's Hard To Find A Friend

pmmets07
November 15th 2011

damn good review although i really enjoy the album. it sounded empty to me at first but it's so catchy and honest sounding that it really grew on me.

November 15th 2011

Dante: I've heard good things about their live shows, so hopefully you'll enjoy yourself. If you're looking for a quick sample of what to expect check the song I linked to just above your post.

pmmets07: Thank you. I can see people liking this, but it felt a little fake to me, whereas Ghost felt a lot more honest. I really wanted to like it, but I've heard it about 5 times and I don't expect my rating to change =[

pmmets07
November 15th 2011

that's how i felt about Balance and Composure's latest release and I'm still not crazy about it.

Tyrael

pizzamachine

Good review Gyroscope!

aok
November 15th 2011

dayum matt - 8 reviews in the last month? keep it up man! (pos btw)

Aids
November 15th 2011

"Thanks. Listen to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGUiUbRHf8M "

god damn that was a boring song. is that one of the best from the album or something?

Much appreciated, guys. Oh, and thanks for the feature =]

Andy: I have many more on the way as well! - at least another 4 or 5 for this month. Looking forward to hopefully reading some more from you sometime soon as well, bud.

November 15th 2011

Aids: It seems to be one of the most well-liked songs, and it all more or less sounds like that, so... yeah. Lol.

twlichty
November 15th 2011

man, that song in the link sucks so bad

Digging: Lusine - A Certain Distance

sniper
November 15th 2011

i haven't listened to this but i saw this band last night and they were good

Rev
November 15th 2011

Matt for Contributor 2013!

Pos, shame this isn't good

November 15th 2011

Lol, 2013? Damn... that's far away, bro :P Thanks though!

Rev